The elaborate feedback.

Silvi

• Developer

There is some really good feedback in this thread. There are actually some rather-big balancing changes to sanity coming on Tuesday. Here's a preview of that part of the changelist:

Sanity tuning

From our testing, we determined that sanity was coming on too early for new players, but was also easily avoidable by established players. The intention is for sanity to be a long-term lurking danger, so this was the complete opposite of what we were going for. Here are some changes to help rectify this:

Vegetables, crock foods don’t regen as much sanity

Monsters cause more sanity drain when near

Player’s Initial sanity is higher

Pure darkness causes a large drop sanity (instead of a gradient around a light source)

Shadowbeasts show up later in the sanity curve, and are unattackable when you are not insane.

Charlie the invisible monster deals sanity damage when he hits you.

The sanity effect jiggles more slowly, so as to be less nauseating.

The gist of it is that new players were going insane too easily, and established players only went insane when they wanted to. I want the player to experience a long descent into madness, so in general the whole process had to slow down. It also interacts a lot with winter - there will be times when you can't wear your dapper clothes because you'd freeze to death.

Hunger/Health/Sanity are too conflated in the current tuning. Food tends to solve all three problems. This update greatly reduces the sanity effects of most foods, in favour of the long-term stuff like dapperness or sleeping. In the post-winter update, there will be ... er.. a nocturnal fungal option for restoring your health, so I'll be able to reduce/remove the healing properties of most foods.

I'm excited to finally have all of the major systems on the table. Now we can get into the details of tuning the numbers to put the difficulty right where I want it. Sandbox mode will be somewhat adjustable, so that you can play a more relaxed game or practice your hard core survival skills. Story mode is where the gloves come off - I don't except most people will be able to beat it. Ha!

Edited by Kevin

There is some really good feedback in this thread. There are actually some rather-big balancing changes to sanity coming on Tuesday. Here's a preview of that part of the changelist:

The gist of it is that new players were going insane too easily, and established players only went insane when they wanted to. I want the player to experience a long descent into madness, so in general the whole process had to slow down. It also interacts a lot with winter - there will be times when you can't wear your dapper clothes because you'd freeze to death.

Hunger/Health/Sanity are too conflated in the current tuning. Food tends to solve all three problems. This update greatly reduces the sanity effects of most foods, in favour of the long-term stuff like dapperness or sleeping. In the post-winter update, there will be ... er.. a nocturnal fungal option for restoring your health, so I'll be able to reduce/remove the healing properties of most foods.

THE ORDER OF THE CHARACTER DEATHS IN THE VIDEO ARE IMPORTANT. SO ARE THEIR NAMES. YOU HAVE BARELY SCRATCHED THE SURFACE OF THE WINTER PUZZLE SO FAR. I WILL NOT LIE... I AM A BIT DISAPPOINTED IN YOU THIS TIME. -Max

I'm excited to finally have all of the major systems on the table. Now we can get into the details of tuning the numbers to put the difficulty right where I want it. Sandbox mode will be somewhat adjustable, so that you can play a more relaxed game or practice your hard core survival skills. Story mode is where the gloves come off - I don't except most people will be able to beat it. Ha!

Awesome! I can't wait... :D

THE ORDER OF THE CHARACTER DEATHS IN THE VIDEO ARE IMPORTANT. SO ARE THEIR NAMES. YOU HAVE BARELY SCRATCHED THE SURFACE OF THE WINTER PUZZLE SO FAR. I WILL NOT LIE... I AM A BIT DISAPPOINTED IN YOU THIS TIME. -Max

This.

Solves.

Everything.

There is some really good feedback in this thread. There are actually some rather-big balancing changes to sanity coming on Tuesday. Here's a preview of that part of the changelist:The gist of it is that new players were going insane too easily, and established players only went insane when they wanted to. I want the player to experience a long descent into madness, so in general the whole process had to slow down. It also interacts a lot with winter - there will be times when you can't wear your dapper clothes because you'd freeze to death. Hunger/Health/Sanity are too conflated in the current tuning. Food tends to solve all three problems. This update greatly reduces the sanity effects of most foods, in favour of the long-term stuff like dapperness or sleeping. In the post-winter update, there will be ... er.. a nocturnal fungal option for restoring your health, so I'll be able to reduce/remove the healing properties of most foods. I'm excited to finally have all of the major systems on the table. Now we can get into the details of tuning the numbers to put the difficulty right where I want it. Sandbox mode will be somewhat adjustable, so that you can play a more relaxed game or practice your hard core survival skills. Story mode is where the gloves come off - I don't except most people will be able to beat it. Ha!

On the subject of sanity-tuning, are you planning on giving any sanity-related perks/disadvantages to any of the characters, current or pending? I'm one of many who'd like to see Wolfgang go crazy quickly, and have Wendy be desensitized to madness.

• Developer

On the subject of sanity-tuning, are you planning on giving any sanity-related perks/disadvantages to any of the characters, current or pending? I'm one of many who'd like to see Wolfgang go crazy quickly, and have Wendy be desensitized to madness.

Perhaps, as a part of the character pass that I want to do before launch.

I think that the dark sword and the night armour should be changed to not drain sanity while worn, that makes for some heavy swapping action that doesn't fit into Don't Starve, it's too micro managy.Maybe we could lose sanity while attacking something with the dark sword, or when we take damage with the night armor, instead of the constant drain (I think that we lose a little bit of sanity each time we get hit at the moment in the game, this could be increased).I think it feels way too punishing to just wear the dark sword and the night armour atm, and there is no tactic besides swapping to and from as fast as possible.So for an example: We lose 1-3 sanity randomly each time we attack something with the dark sword, and we wear a top hat at the same time, then we can kill 2-4 mobs and we would be low on sanity, then we just wait around and do something else while the top hat restores the sanity.

Edited by Isaacg
cleaned up

There is some really good feedback in this thread. There are actually some rather-big balancing changes to sanity coming on Tuesday. Here's a preview of that part of the changelist:The gist of it is that new players were going insane too easily, and established players only went insane when they wanted to. I want the player to experience a long descent into madness, so in general the whole process had to slow down. It also interacts a lot with winter - there will be times when you can't wear your dapper clothes because you'd freeze to death. Hunger/Health/Sanity are too conflated in the current tuning. Food tends to solve all three problems. This update greatly reduces the sanity effects of most foods, in favour of the long-term stuff like dapperness or sleeping. In the post-winter update, there will be ... er.. a nocturnal fungal option for restoring your health, so I'll be able to reduce/remove the healing properties of most foods. I'm excited to finally have all of the major systems on the table. Now we can get into the details of tuning the numbers to put the difficulty right where I want it. Sandbox mode will be somewhat adjustable, so that you can play a more relaxed game or practice your hard core survival skills. Story mode is where the gloves come off - I don't except most people will be able to beat it. Ha!

Ineresting news, now I really look forward to winter.I agree - food solves everything and it's an issue. Glad to hear there will be attempts to solve this....Nocturnal fungal option? INTERESTING. Removing healing properties of most foods sounds a wee hectic though. Now worried about this one heh.also it seems the winter puzzle is still on.

I hope so, Wolfgang is kinda OP, didn't you think that when you created him?

Perhaps that was the point, as he is unofficially agreed to be Don't Starve's "easy mode" (which begs the question, 'Why is he unlocked two levels before Wes?').

Perhaps that was the point, as he is unofficially agreed to be Don't Starve's "easy mode" (which begs the question, 'Why is he unlocked two levels before Wes?').

because easy mode from the start would artificially make the game seem more difficult, seeing how all 3 characters that come before wolfgang have significally less health and stommach

[MENTION=8]Kevin[/MENTION]

I don't think any number change is going to fix the issue with the sanity mechanic as it stands now.

Insanity needs to scale over time, like hound attacks.

It should start off not existing at all and gradually increase in level and scale the longer you play.

After 30 days maybe a piece of taffy and a tophat would fix it, but after 130 it should take a lot more effort to avoid.

I believe scaling it over time is the only way to solve the early/late game issue.

[MENTION=9806]Silvi[/MENTION] : I think insanity and fear is the same thing in Don't Starve, that's why you go more insane at night.

Edited by Avarice

[MENTION=8]Kevin[/MENTION]

I don't think any number change is going to fix the issue with the sanity mechanic as it stands now.

Insanity needs to scale over time, like hound attacks.

It should start off not existing at all and gradually increase in level and scale the longer you play.

After 30 days maybe a piece of taffy and a tophat would fix it, but after 130 it should take a lot more effort to avoid.

I believe scaling it over time is the only way to solve the early/late game issue.

To op: I think insanity and fear is the same thing in Don't Starve, that's why you go more insane at night.

I find scaling insanity strangely attractive as a concept.

Good point at the insanity = fear; that COULD explain going more insane during the night. Still doesn't explain recovering sanity during the day though. There's plenty of dagners during the day.

well, maybe minus the MacCharlieGrue.

Hmmmmmm...