QoL Upgrade Mk 2 Now Open For Testing! - 306320

1 hour ago, Flydo said:

Door priority reset each time i load a save, please do someting

That´s just one of the problems doors have right now^^

1.Duplicants stand in front of locked pneumatic doors and try perform a non-accessible job till their shift ends ...

2. "Stacked doors" (2 doors on top of each other) will result in a door set to one direction being ignored or viewed as locked

navigation.thumb.png.958953bd26ab0a4f1a81e5150511bd07.png

(The lower door should just allow access if the temperature sensor allows it and the upper door should guarantee a way out.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crbd115 said:

image.thumb.png.dfb6048c0cedeef75ebb0d1735deb358.pngUhhh anyone else think one of these choices is a little too good for cycle 18 lol

if you get lucky and get steel. great.  but  "too good" really isn't saying much, since you can't do anything with it until you research something that uses it.   and 500kg  is 1 bunker door.  nothing special.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

since you can't do anything with it until you research something that uses it

You can build pumps with steel. And they are at research tier 1.

In my opnion, 500kg of steel is not very much and kind of nice to build an occasional pump with it. Or maybe kickstart a metal refinery with conductive wire if the line is short. But to me, it's certainly not too good to be included.

500kg of lime is way too good though. It's enough for 5 tons of steel. A whole rocket.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Am I the only one hoping for a "Unassign after use" setting, so we can have mess tables and beds that only stay assigned while in use?

If you will hot rack your dupes, one of them will suddenly begin to itch uncontrollably and develop tiny lesions all over the skin. That dupe must be quarantined in a Med Bay or any other who uses the same furniture as them will also get the scabies...

17 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Not sure if that is a real issue in a singleplayer game. If you like to reload, why not ...

Mostly asking for peace of mind. :p  Knowing that I can reload to have better choices is kinda bothering. This is also why we get to choose the first 3 duplicants.

• Like 1

Thanks so much Klei for your hard work, I hope everyone's health is good now ^^

I'm stuck at work and drooling over the update... could anyone screencap the errand tab from buildings and the new daily reports ? They sound rad !

2 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

It might have something to do with not having tasks - they spend a lot of time idle, so they may not need to be multi threaded. Just on their own thread. 

You just described what multi-threaded might mean in avc15 point of view. It can mean that a task if handle by multiple threads but it can mean that a task is on a separate thread than the main game. I think he meant the latter.

• Like 1

Well, overall I think Klei has had the right idea with the two QoL releases. And they definitely do listen to what we gripe about here. Maybe I am going out on a limb here, but I think they are pretty close to the optimal way a game like this can be made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christophlette said:

You just described what multi-threaded might mean in avc15 point of view. It can mean that a task if handle by multiple threads but it can mean that a task is on a separate thread than the main game. I think he meant the latter.

@Christophlette, when I  initially wrote what is down below, I misread your comment thinking that AVC15 was some sort of threading convention in some far far away programming kabal. I wasn't paying attention to who I was initially replying to. I would like to preface this reply with saying that much - so please don't get offended by anything written below, it may have some humorous connotations.

I'm going to assume this: the game is multithreaded. And that certain things have their own thread or threads. And the duplicant pathfinding is now multithreaded - seeming to imply that it has more than one logical processing thread to work with in conjunction with getting things done. further patch notes suggest that this was performance reason as indicated by the notes regarding animation (which I assume has its own thread or threads as well ).

Are you implying that that there was no independent thread for the duplican't path finding? Is the implication of what we're generally talking about; that critter path finding is still on the main thread somewhere mixed in with the ui and all the other stuff? Or are you saying that duplicant pathfinding now has its new one and only thread now according to the patch notes?

I'm simply trying to rationalize that much. It doesn't make sense to not have the critter path finding on its own thread when using an object oriented programming language like C#; What I was initially suggesting, is that it may need not need to be more than one dedicated thread while it looks like he's saying it should be more than one thread. The reason being is that critters don't have complex tasks to perform and they generally have low levels of interaction with the simulation.

Edited by The Plum Gate
preface

Link to thread about it, but please please *please* normalize movement controls between the main screen and research/job UI. I'd love it if I didn't have to switch between left/right click between the main screen and the research UI.

• Like 2

I mean, that whole thing went a bit down a rabbit hole. The patch note says duplicant pathfinding is multi threaded now. I am thinking, is this an oversight in wording - is all pathfinding actually multithreaded now? Or were critters left out for some specific reason? I don't think it's something anything but a dev could know.

Critter pathing has been one MAJOR cause of performance reduction for some time. People have been known to kill any critters they aren't actively raising to get frames back, and it works. I am just curious what is the case now: did they get left out of the threading change, or not; if so, is there a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@avc15, I agree, only the devs know. I should probably stay on topic too:D Oh look at that. LoL..

4 hours ago, JeP2k3 said:

I'm stuck at work and drooling over the update... could anyone screencap the errand tab from buildings and the new daily reports ? They sound rad !

20190201141916_1.thumb.jpg.87fe36c44c1c515a552669ea5712556e.jpg20190201141926_1.thumb.jpg.360d63f9df7c294d4f659a0b2b2ea357.jpg

Errand associated with grill, and errand associated with building for @JeP2k3.

In this instance, Ari has no ability to Cook at the electric grill, only supply. The heading Kitchen Supply, "Cook or Supply" should probably just say "Supply" beneath the Kitchen Supply heading.

35 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

@Christophlette, when I  initially wrote what is down below, I misread your comment thinking that AVC15 was some sort of threading convention in some far far away programming kabal. I wasn't paying attention to who I was initially replying to. I would like to preface this reply with saying that much - so please don't get offended by anything written below, it may have some humorous connotations.

I'm not offended at all.

Of course, code wise pathing is already multi threaded. Or maybe not. The whole point of multi-threading is being able to have one thread on a core and another on another core.

So if, let's say, the game was running on a single core. Would it be faster to run a super fast single thread on that core ? Or to have multiple not so fast threads on the same and only core ? I'm not sure about the answer but I don't think it would make a lot of a difference ^^

Judging by the time it took to Klei devs to multi-core the game. I'd say the pathfinding was not multi-threaded or at least not totally. I could be wrong. Sometimes you have to deal with synchronization issues. And they can be tough to deal with.

And for that part : 

42 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Is the implication of what we're generally talking about; that critter path finding is still on the main thread somewhere mixed in with the ui and all the other stuff?

Hell no ! Never mix UI and back stuff. Front-end should be for displaying. Back-end to do the computation tasks. The UI should only know a few things :

- Where the critter is

- Where he wants to go

- What are all the coordinates of his path

- What he's gonna do when he arrives to his destination

All other things like : get - find - compute. Should be done by the back-end. As a developper I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TupiniWitch said:

Ok, so now we can print Wheezewort Seeds on the Printing Pod, which makes them potentially infinite. I love Klei so F R E A K I N G much. :drunk:

Wow.
I don't like this. AT ALL.
This and the 500kg steel make rockets pretty much useless.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alpe12 said:

Wow.
I don't like this. AT ALL.

Rockets become useless because you *might* get 500kg of steel or 1 Wheezewort seed from the printer pod every 3rd (I've seen people say 4th?) cycle?

Nah. 500kg might be a bit generous (200kg for refined metals sounds about right to me) but remember, 500kg is only 2.5 smart batteries, 20 pieces of conductive wire, 1 bunker door, or less than half of an aquatuner. Seriously, if it takes extreme luck and/or save summing across 9 to 12 cycles to get enough steel for an aquatuner and 12 pieces of conductive wire to power it for "free", that is about as far from making rockets useless as it can be... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alpe12 said:

A famous dupe once said, "we choose to go to space in this cycle and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1