NotStarved

1 to 2 fps because of rabid beetles

NotStarved    13

Now before the rabid beetles were introduced, my game ran fine, and i barely ever got frame lag. But in my 210 day world on hamlet when i go to reset the calendar the rabid beetles always reproduce there, and tons and tons swarm ( see photos) And around then i get 1 to 2 fps because of it. This is the most i've ever died to something that i feel wasn't due to a mistake i made. This happens sometimes with vampire bats, but i never actually dip below 10 frames when they come.

I was wondering if there was any help for me. I run any other game fine including dst, shipwrecked, rog and hamlet before i get to late game. it also takes a long time to get into ruins when the beetles are swarming me, and i get attacked several times as the screen fades to black. Not to mention my sanity drain, also shown in the photos.

I sent a error report in-game, but i'd like some feedback on the forums because i am still having issues.

20190129203903_1.jpg

20190129203941_1.jpg

20190129203949_1.jpg

20190129203902_1.jpg

bizziboi    1,001

Hi,

Just to double check, is your save the one that mentions 81K entities in the comment?

(I have a few, I really hope to take a look at them tomorrow)

• Like 1

NotStarved    13

That doesn't ring a bell, but i did mention this issue before (about a month ago) with ruins and i remember you saying you had no issue when you looked at my save, but you wanted to go deeper into it.
I assume you guys get my save when you get the error report, and i only have one hamlet save currently. In that save i'm in the ruins (i backed up the save in case i died like this) and if you travel to the other island where the calendar is, right in the biome that has the entrance to the ruins there is a hoard of rabid egg sacs if you look around and they all open immediately.

bizziboi    1,001

I do get your save, but they are anonymous and there's quite a few - so I am trying to identify it.

If you're willing, you could report another bug, and mention your forum username (and maybe a small description, then I should find it easily. Ideally save in (or close to) the location where performance is really bad, but I can try finding the spot myself.

• Like 1

NotStarved    13

Okay, Before i give the error report i'm going to save right as they spawn. Ill specifically say it's for you when i enter the description and i'll put my username and if i can, ill link the forum post too.

Thanks for the fast replies! Please let me know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

bizziboi    1,001

Not sure the link will work, but I'll know where to find this with the username.

• Like 1

NotStarved    13

Okay, Everything is set up. Once you load into my save you will see the problem immediately.

Thank you for looking into this. A lot of developers would just tell me to get a new computer. (i might have to soon anyways but at least your trying to help)

bizziboi    1,001

Out of curiosity, and to give me some context - what are the specs of your computer?

bizziboi    1,001

Out of curiosity, could you do two things for me?

1) See if there's any difference if you disable the Minimap HUD Mod. It's relatively expensive, curious if it makes a difference on your system.

2) Could you submit a profile as outlined here:

Again, preferably when performance is so bad. I just ran your save on my system (which is not bad but not a monster either) and while performance wasn't great it was definitely playable, so hardware seems to be a factor as well, but I'll have to see what I can find.

bizziboi    1,001

I did find an optimization in your save, hard to tell how much it will improve things on your system, but I'm looking for others.

it should come in with the next update - keep me posted.

• Thanks 1

NotStarved    13

Okay so i did some testing and I'll let you know what i've found out.
In any biome except rainforest the fps is generally fine.

when i disabled it, i found the fps in other areas (ex: pig town) was a lot better, but the rain forest was actually worse. I didn't even have any rabid beetles near me and i had 2 fps. Normally it only drops around rabid beetles or other large quantities of other mobs like bats or flytraps.

I submitted a profile around the area with the low fps without rabid beetles near it. in my save i did have the hud on, i was messing with the settings and it ended up disabling all of the huds (the inventory, the crafting, the day, etc) So i'm going to just disable the minimap hud for now.

Thanks for mentioning the minimap hud because now i get around 30-40 fps around any other biome than rain forest if i have the mod disabled, So that's awesome.

Thanks for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

I also want to note too that its not a gradual decrease in fps, its instant for me. like the moment i step into the rain forest, i immediately go to 2 fps and it does not go up unless i leave the biome.

Edited by Darkythekat15