What could the new, fleshed out backstories be?

6 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

The Great Depression affected Canada, too, but I agree that she in particular seems American because of her Rosie the Riveter allusions.

Winona mentions tenement houses a couple of times, so maybe she's a New Yorker?

On 2/14/2019 at 9:44 AM, HaloFTheSun1 said:

I think most of the characters are based on Canadian immigration history, that most are either British, French and maybe American backgrounds.  Klei is a Canadian company and the time frame the game is based in, kind matches up. I mean the British (European I actually think)  could move to American and Canada with no problems.  Just putting that out there .  Also max story started in Britain and moved to American and Wolfgang has a broken accent and Wes is a mime which is a French thing.  Who I think is American is willow, Charlie and Winona . Probably others but they three stands out the most for American.

Regarding Wolfgang, I wouldn't be surprised if some inspiration for him came from Louis Cyr, the Canadian strongman.

1 hour ago, ModsterMash said:

Regarding Wolfgang, I wouldn't be surprised if some inspiration for him came from Louis Cyr, the Canadian strongman.

Louis' hair is supposed to be based on Samson : the powerpuff hair.

Wolfgang's one quote was Christian ( the old Giant one) and also his quote for the MacWolf head: It seems shame to hide such luxurious hair...

this gets another meaning if he is based on Louis which hair is based on Samson...

:o Ivo gone mad :o

1 hour ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Louis' hair is supposed to be based on Samson : the powerpuff hair.

Wolfgang's one quote was Christian ( the old Giant one) and also his quote for the MacWolf head: It seems shame to hide such luxurious hair...

this gets another meaning if he is based on Louis which hair is based on Samson...

:o Ivo gone mad :o

There's this one picture of Louis with shorter-looking hair that I thought looked a bit like Wolfgang.

Spoiler

5c674cffcba9b_louiscyr.thumb.jpg.a7565807802ce7de3c1e791e40000785.jpg

Besides that, Louis' story also reminds me of Wolfgang in that he was known for his immense eating. He had to eat a lot in order to maintain his strength (sound familiar?). Although, that is just the kind of diet strongmen use in general. It's still interesting even as a coincidence, especially since he is from the time period DS/T is working with. I like finding connections like this.

I know there is some kind of "German Strongman" stereotype that I think Wolfgang is pulling from, but I haven't been able to find good information on it.

Wolfgang mentioning prayers in that one quote was probably a direct reference to Hulk Hogan, and not necessarily something about his character.

1 hour ago, ModsterMash said:

There's this one picture of Louis with shorter-looking hair that I thought looked a bit like Wolfgang.

Reveal hidden contents

5c674cffcba9b_louiscyr.thumb.jpg.a7565807802ce7de3c1e791e40000785.jpg

Besides that, Louis' story also reminds me of Wolfgang in that he was known for his immense eating. He had to eat a lot in order to maintain his strength (sound familiar?). Although, that is just the kind of diet strongmen use in general. It's still interesting even as a coincidence, especially since he is from the time period DS/T is working with. I like finding connections like this.

Actually, you're right, Wolfgang's design is based on Louis Cyr. 

Maybe it´s not easy see the relation at first sight, but one reason of this is because Wolfgang wears a classic circus costume (the striped clothes for strongmen were very common and popular at the end of 19th century and early 20th). 

However, Triumphat makes a more direct reference to one of his last costumes:

Wolfgang_Shadow_Skin_Portrait.thumb.png.1f5b78897363ccce369a0a79793757e1.png

Spoiler

Louis_Cyr.thumb.jpg.bf803340b25964f4fd13c9fb462547c8.jpg

I been thinking make a thread about this (before the one I did about Wigfrid) days ago, but it's really nice see someone else finding the characters´s origins. 

Congrats, ModsterMash!

29 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

Actually, you're right, Wolfgang's design is based on Louis Cyr. 

Maybe it´s not easy see the relation at first sight, but one reason of this is because Wolfgang wears a classic circus costume (the striped clothes for strongmen were very common and popular at the end of 19th century and early 20th).

Yep, that image of the striped costume strongman is what I'm trying to find more info on. So far I haven't found the origin of it. I really like finding out why we have these classic images in our collective minds.

6 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

I been thinking make a thread about this (before the one I did about Wigfrid) days ago, but it's really nice see someone else finding the characters´s origins. 

Congrats, ModsterMash!

Aw, thanks! It would be cool to see more threads like the Wigfrid one!

I've been collecting research on all the characters since I got into DS/T and there's a lot of interesting stuff! Tangential learning is fun. :) 

2 hours ago, ModsterMash said:

Yep, that image of the striped costume strongman is what I'm trying to find more info on. So far I haven't found the origin of it. I really like finding out why we have these classic images in our collective minds.

I think it might be related to the visual perception & memory, more precisely, psychology:

Usually the stripes calls our attention, making more easy to remember some stuff. 

Spoiler

526319238109-524eecb9b913.thumb.jpg.ead0fa99d3264a2fc2f9ef86bf8b6b5e.jpg

Or they show us some kind of signal, advising us to pay attention. 

Spoiler

gde-obitaet.jpg.42c03db14294883ecf92c8ad4318bfd6.jpg

So, maybe, the circus people discovered something like this and they started using striped clothes until becoming in a "standard" thing. (Even some clowns have stripes too.) 

classic_strongman.png.6421d5ede653705f4b92688b04a55765.png

2 hours ago, ModsterMash said:

I've been collecting research on all the characters since I got into DS/T and there's a lot of interesting stuff! Tangential learning is fun. :) 

Yes. One thing I like of DS & DST is that have a many clues and information, allowing the player to find a lot of interesting stuff. It reminds me to nice classics like Zeus master of olympus, Civilization 3 and Age of empires. 

Archived