What could the new, fleshed out backstories be?

I'm still processing that they are actually finally going through with backstories. Like, individual character backstory treatment! Wow! I've only started playing last year and can only imagine how long some people have waited for this to happen. 

I'm interested in seeing the method Klei will use to show us these backstories. Like, are we talking some paragraphs and related images? Or will they go all out with a comic or even an animation? Can't wait to find out!

Just now, TurtleKitty said:

I'm hoping there's also more full name reveals.
Webber's human name, Wes' last name, Wickerbottom's first name {I headcanon "Morgana"}, Willow's last name, etc.

I really want this too! It's not fair that only Wilson and Max have full names!

21 minutes ago, minespatch said:

It explains why Webber has a British dialect in some lines.

Interesting! Can you give some examples of this, if it's not too much trouble? :)

15 minutes ago, ModsterMash said:

I'm interested in seeing the method Klei will use to show us these backstories. Like, are we talking some paragraphs and related images? Or will they go all out with a comic or even an animation? Can't wait to find out!

I automatically presumed an event and redone quotes but comics or animations would be unbelievably spectacular. My eyes are shoujo sparkling now. 

On 1/31/2019 at 10:11 PM, ModsterMash said:

Interesting! Can you give some examples of this, if it's not too much trouble? :)

There's several parts of dialogue where he calls his mother "mum".

1. Sewing KitSewing Kit- "Mum used to handle all of our sewing."
  2. Cooked EggEgg (cooked)- "Fried just like mum did."
  3. Braised EggplantBraised Eggplant- "Mum knew I liked it braised."
  4. PowdercakePowdercake- "Mum never let me have these."
  5. BlueprintBlueprint- "'Follow the instructions', mum always said."
  1. Tam o' ShanterTam o' Shanter- "Reminds me of grandpa."

Er... Lot of things remind him of Grandpa.:wilson_shocked:

Well, considering that about half of the cast doesn't have a backstory at all, I'd expect something.

For the rest, about whose backstory we know (Wilson, Maxwell) I expect it to just tell us stuff we already know.

(inb4 DS goes Overwatch route and now everyone and their pet dog is homosexual)

12 hours ago, minespatch said:

There's several parts of dialogue where he calls his mother "mum".

Er... Lot of things remind him of Grandpa.:wilson_shocked:

Thank you for the examples. Aww, Webber's family quotes always get me! :wilson_cry: This does seem like a hint at something like an English background, very interesting.

I wanna know when Wendy started being haunted by Abigail, did she just immediately appear as a ghost after death, or is there more to it? :wilsondisappointed:

(I'm also really keen on learning more about Wagstaff! Winona's old quotes mentioned her boss disappearing... I want to know more! :wilson_shocked:

4 hours ago, Maknov said:

I wanna know when Wendy started being haunted by Abigail, did she just immediately appear as a ghost after death, or is there more to it? :wilsondisappointed:

(I'm also really keen on learning more about Wagstaff! Winona's old quotes mentioned her boss disappearing... I want to know more! :wilson_shocked:

probably came as part of the forbidden knowledge sales quote: "if you learn this and make this hookey-mathingy you can get your sister back!"

I'm imagining something along the lines of going through how Winona got here, then she meets and gets to know the survivors and their backstories. Maybe a comic, maybe an animation, who knows. Something semi-contiguous but multi-part.

The way Winona's presented through quotes and stuff, I feel like they're trying to make her the character that pulls the survivors together and off of one-anothers' throats.

5 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

The way Winona's presented through quotes and stuff, I feel like they're trying to make her the character that pulls the survivors together and off of one-anothers' throats.

Nice theory but I'm afraid they simply put her in every drawing cuz:

a) She has a bad reputation

b) She needs to catch up with other survivors when it comes to art

17 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Nice theory but I'm afraid they simply put her in every drawing cuz:

a) She has a bad reputation

b) She needs to catch up with other survivors when it comes to art

That's great and all but doesn't address her quotes whatsoever—which was the main point stated by lifetheuniverse.

On 29.01.2019 at 5:04 PM, axxel said:

I think it's a reference to an older cartoon (before 2000 I think) called Walter Mellon. It aired in Europe but I dunno if is was airung in Canada.

OMG is that the one where the character ran a substitution agency and substituted the role of an important person (James Bond, Power Rangers, Wizard of Oz, Indiana Jones, Alice in Wonderland, Frankenstain's Monster...) when they couldn't go to work to cover for them??! So much nostalgia, I'm enlightened <3

I think most of the characters are based on Canadian immigration history, that most are either British, French and maybe American backgrounds.  Klei is a Canadian company and the time frame the game is based in, kind matches up. I mean the British (European I actually think)  could move to American and Canada with no problems.  Just putting that out there .  Also max story started in Britain and moved to American and Wolfgang has a broken accent and Wes is a mime which is a French thing.  Who I think is American is willow, Charlie and Winona . Probably others but they three stands out the most for American.

22 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Yeah i think tchem being American is pretty much canon as Winona used to have quotes that reffered to Great Depresion

The Great Depression affected Canada, too, but I agree that she in particular seems American because of her Rosie the Riveter allusions.

Archived