Pre-Space Sustainable Base

On 1/28/2019 at 7:48 AM, Lilalaunekuh said:

But the only food your able to cook without a duplicant ;)

You need just a hot room (>73°C) with a receptangle for uncooked eggs(, maybe a ration box to increase the capacity) and a loader to send fresh omelettes to your colony.

PS: Shine bugs can be ranched for eggs but not for meat ;)

This.  I was losing my wild shine bugs to heat, so I started ranching them so they would not go extinct.  I did open ranching and ended up with 40+ shine bugs, which is actually pretty annoying.  But they provide a pretty stable supply of egg shells and eggs.  They are not the most efficient egg shell source, but they are very, very easy to maintain, and if you keep the doors on your bristle farms open, they are free light.

Ranching is the easiest food source in terms of sustainability. BBQ is easier & cheaper to make than pepper bread. There's more than enough wild pepper nuts on the map to make BBQ without setting up a farm for it. Or just make omelettes.

The resources required to farm most plants in the game are finite and it's difficult to find an equilibrium to make it sustainable.

This is a list of 'cheap' or 'free' food sources:

Dreckos (normal not plastic) don't require any resources to feed. So they can be a free source of food if you ranch them and feed them balm lilys. (balm lilys grow without needing to be watered or fertilized). There are lots of examples of drecko ranches on the forum.
You would need to build multiple drecko ranches because their life spans are long, but once you have alot of ranches going at full capacity it's quite worth it.

Pacus are the best source of meat, because they require no duplicant interaction, do not need to be fed and don't get any significant debuffs from overcrowding. All you need to do is feed a few initially so that they breed to the number that you want. Then once you have a large number of them, stop feeding them. They will each lay one egg before dying, and the cycle will repeat forever. So you get free meat (from the dead pacu) and free egg shells (from the hatced pacu eggs).

Hatches may as well be classed as 'free food' because you'll never run out of rocks to feed them. You'll get bored and start a new colony before you run out of rocks.

Dense Pufts are another great source of food because of all the oxygen they consume, 95% of it is pooped back out as oxylite which then off-gasses back into oxygen at a 1-1 ratio. So you can feed your spoms into the dense puft ranch first, then send that oxylite to your base. So in the end you get all the oxygen back minus 5%. Using a conveyor rail with oxylite is also far less complicated than setting up a big pipe ventillation system.

I just posted a fully automated dense puft ranch here if you're interested in it, it's complicated though.
(the final design is near the bottom of the page)
There's also an automated hatchery + kill room in the design so you can take that part and use it in any of your ranches.

Archived