Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2019

Man, I'm hyped. Though it took me some doing, I'm finally getting into Hamlet, now that I have wrapped my monkey brain around the basics of it, and I was just talking to my DST buddy the other day about maybe starting a new survival server in the near future, and now that the content updates are looming, it'll be the perfect time to delve back into the multiplayer side aswell! 

Have to admit, the 'Paying for Characters' thing did put up some red flags at first, but so far, Klei has always been very good about making monetization reasonable, and considering those who don't want to pay are also offered the opportunity to knit the new guys, I don't expect it to be problematic or exploitative. My only concern with them now would be that I hope they have a bit more of a hook than Winona did. I mean, I like her, she's cool personality-wise, and her perks are useful, but they're not as transformative as some other characters. My favourite character out of both game versions is still Webber, and not just because of how precious a boi he is - it's because his attributes really make you play the game in a different way, but not by limiting you like Wes does, but by giving you some new avenues while blocking others. So, I hope the new characters will be more along the lines of Webber or Wigfrid design philosophy-wise than Winona or Walani.

That small concern aside, I'm definitely hyped for the new content, and though I do hope some of the Shipwrecked and Hamlet features eventually make their way over to DST in some capacity, I do like this current design philosophy, with both games getting separate new features tailored more to their respective experience, DSA getting the chance to be more "out there" and experiment with wildly different new mechanics while DST gets stuff that, to be fair, is also quite different but more tailored to the cooperative experience, like all the Raid-like events and bosses. So, keep it up, Klei!

But please when is Griftlands coming out I'm super hyped for that pls Klei tell me I have six children to feed

10 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Since Worlds are gonna be reset ( for content ) when will Klei stop updating DST? 2030 or later ( Not to mean bad but i want long time bases... )

Nobody forces you to update your world, unless you really want to get new content without using debug.

22 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Since Worlds are gonna be reset ( for content ) when will Klei stop updating DST? 2030 or later ( Not to mean bad but i want long time bases... )

Some players: DST lacks new content and base game updates.

Some other players: when will the updates stop?

1 hour ago, Warlockadamm said:

That blows to hear that... i mean i do like to start things over and create awesome megabase dont get me wrong, but the fact that i wont be able to keep my shrine from Year of the varg/gobbler, halloween mad science station and my winter feast trees collection if i wanna access new content makes me sad :( i was proud to be there when the events where there and i wont be able to have a world with everything in it D: ...

It's all about these festive lights, my mate

On 1/22/2019 at 10:59 AM, Bigfoot said:

Console Development
We are working hard on keeping the console versions of the game up to date. Specifically, we are investing in technology to allow us to more quickly update the game without going through lengthy certification on every small change, and we've also added more staff to work exclusively on updating the console versions.

Thank you thank you thank you!

THANK YOU KLEI you are the best so far, I am very excited about ALL the news! and also I agree with the characters costing money, being able to wave them, so the actual world-changing update doesn't cost any! thank you very much, you never stop amazing me wondering how are you even able to survive with all the FREE and more free content you give us so far and keep doing it ♥

PS: indeed I stoped buying skins because i was having a bad economic time and I though "they are just aestetics, I will not buy them anymore, sadly u_u" but for actual characters I will be glad to give you some money again to support you!! Is always nice for players who care about your sustainability a fair way to support you n_n love you Klei

yeah but could they give out the new characters for free and only sell the character's skins? 

I mean yeah I wanna support Klei, but I don't want to be locked out of a gameplay experience because of a paywall, and I'm pretty sure a lot of you would agree.

To be honest it sounds like that something that a certain company that rhymes with Telectronic Farts would do...

But honestly while I would pay for a character anyways, I really stand by what Klei once said about the lack of DST DLC, about not dividing the community's content. I think the same thing would apply here; it divides the community on ways they can experience the game by altering who is able to play as different characters.

7 minutes ago, Master Jand said:

yeah but could they give out the new characters for free and only sell the character's skins? 

I mean yeah I wanna support Klei, but I don't want to be locked out of a gameplay experience because of a paywall, and I'm pretty sure a lot of you would agree.

To be honest it sounds like that something that a certain company that rhymes with Telectronic Farts would do...

But honestly while I would pay for a character anyways, I really stand by what Klei once said about the lack of DST DLC, about not dividing the community's content. I think the same thing would apply here; it divides the community on ways they can experience the game by altering who is able to play as different characters.

I am pretty sure the characters will just have small points there and big role that can be done by others.

I think as I said, if they sell only the skins not much people will buy them (as they explicitly explained there). But still it is a good idea to sell the old classic skins (like the 3 skin sets they mention) for people who really want to buy them, but sending their money to Klei instead of to other players by comunity market. I would love to see the rosetate to buy aswell, the sets i really LOVE i will still buy because reasons ;)

Spoiler

One can always save some money for the really "important" things ;)

59 minutes ago, Master Jand said:

i don't think that'd be enough, since they said skin sales was barely supporting Forge and Gorge events, and as such probably doubt skin sales would support all the free content they have planned here

and ultimately, this isn't dividing the community.  What they meant was different map DLCs, and how some players wouldn't be able to play with others if they didn't own those map DLCs for like the new biomes. Not having access to the character is not separating the playerbase

i mean, by that logic, anyone who got lucky and got a Roseate skin is thus divided from the rest of the community. It has no actual effect on players playing together. 

I'd much rather they lock characters than lock biomes, or that they lock characters rather than give us no free content at all anymore. Heck htey're even giving people the option to WEAVE These characters and not spend a dime of their real money on it, which I think is quite generous considering these new characters is supposed to bring in funding for the free content

Thanks Bigfoot, and thank you, Klei. This game means a lot to me, I've made friends with people I would never have met outside of DST, and the experiences I've had are quite indescribable.

On the note of DLC characters: I would be absolutely happy to purchase these characters for the sake of supporting you're development team. As celebration for Wortox being teased as a playable character...

I made what I like to call: 

The "I'm trapped here with THESE losers?!" sad puppy eyes.

image.png.860282b91f53c58860e7822743529dfc.png

Absolutely cannot wait for the day he releases, and to welcome him into the DST cast. 

To everyone complaining about the paid characters:

On 1/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, Bigfoot said:

We are still deciding the final price of these characters, but we currently think they will be $6.99 USD each, which includes a full character skin set. You will also be able to weave the characters with spool.

And yeah, the rate at accumulating spools is abysmally slow right now, but I'd also like to point out this:

On 1/22/2019 at 5:34 PM, JoeW said:

We actually had a value in mind that was going to be posted originally and we didn't like it. Turns out we're gonna be taking a long hard look at spool value and the time it will take to get the characters to weave them, including possible adjusting drop rates and spool gain. 

Our goal is to make enough money to make it worth our time, of course. However, we definitely want people to feel that weaving is a fair and acceptable alternative and not something impossible or unreasonable.

So just relax everyone. They won't be 100% paid characters. There will be a way to earn them without paying anything.

Archived