On 24/01/2019 at 8:44 PM, D7X said:

AI pathing is fine how it is. At a certain point "exploits" stop being exploits and become features. If you changed the way mobs path around structure/wall/statue combos you'd be removing a lot of the current end-game content for experienced players. It's a sandbox game and I'd appreciate it if you didn't throw my toys out of the sandbox.

But doesn't it get boring when your toys aren't lethal to you anymore? What are you surviving from now? Nothing really :(

4 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

remove all the exploits and lakurion will still eggspoil you all

Not if they can fly over water borders too :D

Since it's coming to intuitions about the feelings of the playerbase as a whole, this is my honest impression:

DST has sold about 10 million copies on Steam (source: https://steamspy.com/dev/Klei+Entertainment). I do not know how many copies on consoles have been sold but I would imagine it is somewhat fewer. I would guess that perhaps 1%, or 100k, of these owners are even aware these kinds of pathing oddities exist--you generally only become aware of them if you have a lot of hours played, or if you spend a lot of time talking to / listening to players who have a lot of hours played. Of that small fraction who are aware of them, the community seems split on how to deal with them--split roughly evenly, without a clear majority, the disagreements coming down occasionally to a sense of violated realism/consistency but more often to philosophical differences about the nature of the game's difficulty spikes.

DS and DST are extremely punishing for new players. They have no tutorial, constant peril, and permadeath. But they are also very rewarding for experienced players. Familiarity with their mechanics, and the common interactions between their mechanics, will eventually bring you to a point where it is less of a struggle to survive and more of a Minecrafty endless creative mode. Is this a betrayal of the pitch, that it is an "uncompromising wilderness survival game"? Some folks see it that way, while others appreciate earning a reprieve. I don't think either is right or wrong. I suppose I lean a little closer to the former of the two positions, but it doesn't bother me too much. I still know in the back of my mind that *eventually* I'll make a series of mistakes that destroy my world, even if it takes a million days.

This is a problem with all games that are pitched as difficult, of course; they'll never be quite as hard as they were when you were a noob. (really it's a problem with all media of any kind; "you can't step in the same river twice", and all that)

That's a good reason for why the whole 'silent majority' thing seems pointless to me. They're silent.
It's just as likely that players who think the game is ok aren't saying anything about it, as it is that there are players who aren't ok with the game who ditch it and never say a word. If being silent on a matter meant agreeing with the current state of it, that...doesn't say good things about anyone. Lol. A lot of bad goes on in the world with no comment, frankly.

Same thing that happened with Characters. One of the reasons we got for not bothering with them for so long, rather the only Klei response I remember about it from years ago, was that most people were quiet about the matter, so it was assumed that they were in great enough shape to not touch until possibly a couple months from now.
That, in turn, created another portion of the 'silent majority' that stopped complaining because it seemed for the longest time like the devs were simply ignoring the issue and were never going to touch that system...or update/finish any old content, for that matter.

Stuff like this topic about walls is coming up again because the 'silent majority' sees Klei at least seeming to care about fixing old problems with this series of upcoming character updates, hence now seeming like a good time to mention these things yet again and get them fixed for the umpteenth time. You could say that any side's the majority so long as they're silent.
I'm just as inclined to think that, out of the small group that will even notice this change, that faction could be the larger one, as opposed to the 'keep the wonky AI' crowd. There's absolutely no way to tell. So, it's more about sensible game design in this case, to me.

2 hours ago, Swanky Psammead said:

"removes" existing strategies then, exploit is a subjective term, I was using it descriptively not pejoratively

either way I take it your point is that, semantics about adding/removing content aside, AI changes would be more of an upheaval to existing gameplay than you think the majority of the playerbase is comfortable with, which is a concern that I can appreciate and sympathize with but I'm not sure it is actually true. I think the silent majority of players struggle to reach a point in the game where they have the time and resources to make use of these kinds of pathing oddities in the first place.

I can't say the majority of players would be impacted (unless you count the dragonfly strat) but my point wasn't about the majority. I was just saying that's how these suggestions usually turn out if they get noticed by developers.

@lifetheuniverse that's the second time you've focused on the most throw-away line in one of my posts. The silent majority are usually silent because they're content, it's people that have a problem that tend to speak up.

Ah the "uncompromised survival" card (and subsequent lamentation on Reddit from what I've been hearing - a bit on these forums too - about DST becoming more of a "social club").

I'll just state some arbitrary facts here:

* DST has a steep learning curve making it a hard-to-learn game;

* over last 2 years the skins amount produced for DST skyrocketed;

* most players playing DST can't pass first autumn; these casuals usually play for a small amount of time (under 30 minutes);

* vast majority of DST players / casuals hasn't done any raid boss (Dragonfly included) at all;

* as per Pareto's principle, 20% of players account for 80% of purchases;

* about 3% of all players playing first iteration of Forge got all achievements; over 70% of all players playing Forge 2017 haven't won even 1 single match;

* DST is a sandbox game first and foremost; you don't have a story-driven goal (just bits and pieces of some thin lore) aside for the "road from scarcity to prosperity". How you reach it is your choice. "Your world your rules".

At some point if you stick to learning the game and master it, you will inevitability reach a plateau. In this regard I've seen here, on these forums, 2 trains of thoughts of how to initiate another curve (well basically to move again said plateau):

1. make the game harder in general from start by invalidating all types of farming via exploitation of various game mechanics (if those mechanics are errors or intended is up to debates.. like this one, the path finder; additionally going out of map, AI quirks etc) plus more cumulative attrition negatives (more periodic and/or RNG-dependent attacks from more hostile and tougher mobs, more disease-like mechanics etc) basically maintaining players in a perpetual "forced scarcity"

OR

2. making the game harder after player reaches a certain point marked by a world-changing event (for example after first killing AFw or some number of days passing) that also assumes corrections/implementations mentioned above.

With these premises the logical and rhetoric question arises: how will such modifications impact the whole player-base and current Klei's directions for game - basically more "uncompromised wilderness survival" vs "social club" from perspective of a business, because at the end of day is all about customers and monetary gain; what is more business-friendly: a presumably wider crowd brought by mild survival conditions, friendly "social club" aspects or a smaller amount of hardcore-conditions enthusiasts? Time will tell (more so if a compromise can't be achieved).

My stance on all this: if I'm being compelled to perpetual "forced scarcity" just for the sake of it (and of some lobbying/vocal try-hards wanting online recognition for ladderboards-style "feats of greatness" via rising difficulty bar further in an inorganic manner...try-hards that will also reach the new plateau in no-time, again demanding even higher setups.. or just leaving out of boredom/discovering something else)... am out. Won't be the first time and that's ok. How many would be like me? Who knows. Yet I would still love for DST to go a bit the MMO route, with constant updates and such that leave it open for both perspectives (point 2 with world-changing optional events), still, again, is ok. There is a time for everything to pass. Sad but that's the truth of all there is. Cheers!

^ I don't know its just a game. Can't tell what game needs or not needs, till now game is okay, fair enough to tell any changes scares me and makes me bit skeptic, but i wait in silent with knowing Dst developers is best in details what is making me some times to wonder how and why? Like Hutch best Dst Dj with one man band. its like " hey dude its a partey in cave..."  If y feed bunny man 2 carrots in place of one then he might scare your with hes hand clapping and happiness what makes always laugh or squeeze out a little smile.

7 hours ago, Hell-met said:

I fail to see what the age of a mechanic has to do with it being fixable or not.

Touché. Though things were getting rather... inflammatory here, in my point of view and i wanted a bit more calmer discussion to occur. (correct me if I'm wrong). Forgive my for my intrusion.

Quite frankly tho its really nice to see people conscientiously discussing certain game features which need to be updated. However, my analysis usually falls short, more often than not, which is why I don't join in...

Keep on, keepin on.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:33 PM, Finx said:

So how all that affect others then? Lets imagine you are hosting a world and a random join and use this strategy to solo this boss without even telling you. What will very likely happen is people might ragequit because this random took out a boss without you. I do this very often so I think at this point i've pretty much seen every possible reaction from people and this one is the most unfortunate that I have seen.

You know that Dfly re-spawns in like... just 20 days right?  I don't think I've had anyone rage quit over a player killing a boss...  If anything bosses like bee queen and dfly are rarely touched early in these games because most players just avoid the fights.  They are very intimidating for a player to try without watching videos online even without cheese strats...

On 1/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, Finx said:

Thats an interesting point that I normally would agree with but there is one thing.

Most people that use these clever wall strategy actually doesn't even have a clue why it work but it still work for whatever reason. So except for the creator of these strategy who had to spend hours and hours of testing to finally find it most people that use it aren't being clever for using it.

For comparison are you smart if you copy the answer of the guy next to you during a test?

Also in DST most if not all the time the game always favor brain over brawn so overall you are not punish from being clever but rewarded.

The game never favors brain over brawn.  Anything you can do with any character you can do better with Wolfgang.  Does that make Wolfgang cheese?  Should he be nerfed too?  Is it unfair that a player can just pick Wolfgang and clear Dfly before my Wes can?

If these cheese strats were "fixed" they would need to overhaul the entire combat system or the game would lose players.  The bosses are extremely simple!  and the HP are very high...  Doing bee queen without walls for a solo player NOT being Wolfgang is a lengthy feat...  mostly involving running long distances to separate the queen from the grumbles so you can get a few quick attacks in, then rinse / repeats.  Its quite boring really.  The bees and the queen mostly charge straight at you, there is no dexterous dodge button or quick time event to react to...  You just press towards, away, or attack...  Its a really simple game.  The same can be said for Dfly, and even fuel weaver.  These contents are fun, and they add something to the game... but they aren't designed in a way to say "a solo player should do this with only a weapon and armor" or that the fight would even be enjoyable that way...

I'm concerned of the slippery slope too...  So you say walls are cheese.  Where do you draw the line and say "okay THIS is no longer cheese" even though its just another exploit... because ALL ai are vulnerable to exploit...  Make them attack the walls then we just build big wall clusters for them to munch on rather than long walls for them to walk around... or switch to flingo strat, or farm up an army of bunny men, on tentacles...  I think I saw a video where someone used perma-iced pigs trapped in walls to pin the Dfly effectively nerfing the fight into the same level as if you pushed yourself into the water...  There will be no end to SOMETHING changing the game unless they take away everything but our weapons... and who would want to play that? ew

They should have never nerfed gunpowder, or changed anything in response to griefers...  Its obviously coddled the playerbase to the point that they feel they can whine about some aspect of the game they disagree with, and expect it to get "fixed" for them regardless of the fact that the game - as is - is quite successful /sarcasm.  not about the quite successful part, but everything before it. /sincerity

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

The game never favors brain over brawn. 

Charging at shadow splemonkey with thelucite crown and dark sword versus learn the nightmare cycle to avoid these stupid monkey entirely. Fighting an entire horde of frog from a frog rain versus luring them into a Goose to kill them all for you. Killing bearger and deerclop as soon as they spawn versus using bearger and deerclop to clear up a reed trap or a forest so that treeguard can kill them for you. Rushing a boss all by yourself versus using an army of bunnymen to kill bosses for you. When I look at this it is clear to me that playing with your brain is a superior choice than just charging at everything that move with your dark sword.

Anything you can do with any character you can do better with Wolfgang. 

A good Wickerbottom will overshadow a good Wolfgang. Want to solo dragonfly? Use tentacle trap to kill it plus you can even use the trap to farm scale. Want to solo enraged klaus? A tentacle trap can do it without sweating. Want to rush Bee Queen? Again tentacle trap will do it for you. You are in a dedicaded server with beginner who are all starving? Applied horticulture will solve their starving problem.

The bosses are extremely simple!  and the HP are very high...  Doing bee queen without walls for a solo player NOT being Wolfgang is a lengthy feat.

Bunnymen, they are always happy to help you with bee queen or any bosses in general. They even help solo player, they are so reliable.

but they aren't designed in a way to say "a solo player should do this with only a weapon and armor" or that the fight would even be enjoyable that way...

They aren't designed to be fought solo in the first place. 

But I don't understand why people are saying that like if it was impossible. Maybe im just too old and should retire or something? I don't know at this point.

I'm really just looking for more ways for gameplay to feel satisfying and rewarding rather than either overly simplistic or feeling like abusing an obvious design oversight/bug.

If it's about business strategy, I'm one of those people who's bought every skin set so far just for the sake of making it possible for Klei to keep updating this thing.
Frankly, it shouldn't matter though. Every player's satisfaction matters; even the ones who don't directly bring revenue will still show off what they're doing, or spread the word to try and get friends to cooperate with, if the gameplay satisfies that player enough to want to continue. That's more purchases, more revenue, and more people who might buy skins.

3 hours ago, Finx said:

A good Wickerbottom will overshadow a good Wolfgang. Want to solo dragonfly? Use tentacle trap to kill it plus you can even use the trap to farm scale. Want to solo enraged klaus? A tentacle trap can do it without sweating. Want to rush Bee Queen? Again tentacle trap will do it for you. You are in a dedicaded server with beginner who are all starving? Applied horticulture will solve their starving problem.

This is why I mentioned On Tentacle in my slipery slope comment.  If anything Wickerbottom is the most cheese character because of it.  Sadly this means you have to pick her.  Should everyone just be wickerbottom?  Would that make you feel better about the cheese strats?  Rather than seeing walls everywhere would you rather see tentacle traps everywhere?  There is no end to cheese.  Even if all of these were fixed, and we had to fight bosses in a craft-less void with only our weapons then Wolfgang would be the cheese...

Just let it go.  It effects you far less than you imagine...

Bunnymen, they are always happy to help you with bee queen or any bosses in general. They even help solo player, they are so reliable.

When you say "walls are cheap" are you actually just referring to the cost to craft them being so few stone?  Because really, bunnymen auto-pilot the fight far more than a wall does...  Depending on your cave map and population of bunny men, and which character you are playing, you could still set this up first autumn.  I tend to do the wall strat over the bunny men simply because I still have to play the wall strat.  If I just wanted to auto-pilot everything I'd do bunny men and on tentacles everywhere... would you not call that cheese?

They aren't designed to be fought solo in the first place. 

But I don't understand why people are saying that like if it was impossible***. Maybe im just too old*** and should retire*** or something? I don't know at this point.

Exactly my point above - they weren't designed to be played solo.  Which means they were poorly designed for those of us to who play solo.  Even when I don't play solo, I typically end up with some noobs in my games who aren't helpful for these things either.  You know the kind... they build their science machine next to your alchemy engine so they can access all the recipes XD hehe.

If they removed these cheese strats they would need to overhaul the bosses entirely so that their fights are good enough to stand on their own sans cheese.

As for why people aren't fighting these things with just a weapon and armor solo - Bee Queen takes 3-4 days of game time to do this...  of simply running back and forth creating a space to get a few hits in...  Its highly repetitive, and no less engaging than using the wall strat, and it reasons out playing any character other than Wolfgang.  The wall strat basically trades the time you would spend walking back and forth to separate the bee queen for a lower time consumption of passing through a gap in the wall.  Even with the wall the fight still takes over a day, 7 bee hats, 4 dark swords, and a whole stack of healing items...  Sorry, 3 dark swords and only 4 bee hats if you're wolfgang...

***Don't get so full of yourself***  Do you think I can't defeat bee queen because I use wall strats?  Do you think with even 1 other competent player I couldn't do Dfly?  Cut their HP down to a reasonable solo'ing amount and I'd probably just do them straight, but at 22500 hp I'm already burning through 4 Dark Swords...  and the fight isn't even that difficult or interesting.  Its just LOOOONNG and tedious... and makes people pick Wolfgang (because when you remove all other cheese, Wolfgang is the ultimate cheese)

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Wolfgang would be the cheese...

Now using a character that his main perk allow him to kill stuff faster is cheese? With your way of thinking at this point Maxwell is cheesing the game by chopping tree faster, Webber is cheesing the game by gathering spider stuff effortlessly or Wigfrid is cheesing the game by crafting weapon and armor without a science machine.

What I see here is just a hater who doesn't want to see character he dislike being use in the scenario they excel at and call it cheese.

When you say "walls are cheap" are you actually just referring to the cost to craft them being so few stone?

Now you are trying to put word in my mouth that I haven't said? That's cheesy.

If they removed these cheese strats they would need to overhaul the bosses entirely so that their fights are good enough to stand on their own sans cheese

The main argument that I have seen so far to cheese is that the game is grinding heavy and repetitive which by cheesing would save you a bit of time in that ressources grinding process. But to truly solve this issue cheesing boss only scratch the problem from the surface. The best solution to fix this from the core would be to cut the grind that the preparation of these boss require. Which truth be told the dev won't do anything about it. They already annouced so much stuff for 2019 that it is questionable if they will be able to do everything planned.

Same goes for the combat. Don't Starve combat system as always been very basic. I mean you simply press one button and there you go you attack and the enemy fight you back. Asking the dev to rework the whole combat and boss of the game is unrealistic and would require much more work than simply fixing an AI pathfinding. If you are craving for that best would be to stop play DST now and switch for an another game that feature better combat than Don't Starve.

10 minutes ago, Finx said:

Now using a character that his main perk allow him to kill stuff faster is cheese? With your way of thinking at this point Maxwell is cheesing the game by chopping tree faster, Webber is cheesing the game by gathering spider stuff effortlessly or Wigfrid is cheesing the game by crafting weapon and armor without a science machine.

What I see here is just a hater who doesn't want to see character he dislike being use in the scenario they excel at and call it cheese.

In case you have missed the character rework topics popping here-and-there in these forums with persistent recurrence, one of the main things discussed in them is nerfs "the Holy DST Trinity" in-a-manner-of-saying needs (according to another pretty-vocal minority ofc). In Wolf's case 2x damage and increased speed should go down at most 1.4-1.5x and with Mighty size-me-up, speed should decrease under 1x (analogy with big bodybuilder types/big mass being slow), yet should gain a slight armor resistance. Because, as @Shosuko pointed, there is a heated controversy regarding Wolf in this case being a borderline mod-like OP character. And, with near-future character reworks Klei announced, I think that vocal minority's wish for nerfing Wicker-Wolf-WX will come to pass.

2 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Because, as @Shosuko pointed, there is a heated controversy regarding Wolf in this case being a borderline mod-like OP character. And, with near-future character reworks Klei announced, I think that vocal minority's wish for nerfing Wicker-Wolf-WX will come to pass.

I did comment on these topic in the past so I am aware of their existence and whether you agree with it or not is up to you.

With that said there is a difference between saying Wolfgang is making these fight way easier which is true and I agree with that and saying Wolfgang cheese these boss fight. Saying the latest is implying that he is an exploit of the game when he is simply a character among the cast and it happen that his role is to slay creature faster and he does very well (Too well for some but thats up to people opinion like I said). Choosing one of the best character isn't an exploit compare to using glitch or a sequence of code screwing up the pathfinding of an enemy.

The issue with this reasoning is that you can put nearly everthing in the cheese category. Blow dart too much damage its cheese, ham bat unlimited durability its cheese, walking cane makes you run too fast its cheese. Do we really want to go that route?

25 minutes ago, Finx said:

The issue with this reasoning is that you can put nearly everthing in the cheese category. Blow dart too much damage its cheese, ham bat unlimited durability its cheese, walking cane makes you run too fast its cheese. Do we really want to go that route?

Exactly.  You consider a wall cheese - I see a wall doing what I would expect it to do.  Different mobs deal with walls differently.  Some will attack them, some will only be diverted by them.  For bees if you completely enclose them, they will even ignore the wall and fly over it.  You say its cheese.  If it were removed, you'd just say something else is cheese.  The slippery slope could continue until only 1 viable method of playing the game is left...

As for Wolfgang my opinion has changed over the course of several online debates about it.  I originally thought him quite broken and argued (much like you're arguing against cheese) that he removes or negates elements of the game.  Through debate online I've realized a few things.  1) it doesn't effect me when someone else picks Wolfgang.  2) every character has strengths and weaknesses - and they aren't all equal.  I'm not "better" because I play Wes and Willow.  Someone else isn't worse because they pick Wolfgang even though that gives them a real advantage over me in performing against bosses.  Its my choice.  My character fantasy doesn't include being the best at combat.  It does include using less popular characters who are more quirky.  There is a premium on being less popular usually meaning the perks aren't as great mechanically.  After realizing these I don't fault Wolfgang or consider him a cheese pick, but that is because every character has things they can do about the battle.  Many of these aren't even character specific like walls!  In a world where you remove all other abilities to effect the battle - a void where you can ONLY use your weapons and armor - then Wolfgang would be the cheese character.

Notice in the Forge that Klei had to essentially re-work every single character and combat mechanic to make it fun.  Imagine what the Forge would be like if the characters were all spawned in as is in the normal game, with standard game mechanics...  Wolfgang would certainly be the only character worth playing lol

I'm not sure what is going to happen going forward.  Klei's announcement is to commit to broad DST changes this year including full reworks of all characters.  I hope they take a look at how the game scales for solo and group play so that the raid bosses aren't quite as lengthy, while still posing a challenge for multiple players.  I hope they look at combat and weapons, and make changes so that combat more like the Forge can exist in the normal world.  I'm not as concerned with game balance between characters so long as there are multiple tactics that any character can employ.

28 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Exactly.  You consider a wall cheese - I see a wall doing what I would expect it to do.  Different mobs deal with walls differently.  Some will attack them, some will only be diverted by them.  For bees if you completely enclose them, they will even ignore the wall and fly over it. 

My real concern is not the wall itself but rather that it can be use to exploit AI pathfinding (Helicalpuma lava pool and wall combination for example) if this pathfinding issue wasn't there I would be fine with it because like you said the wall is there to protect you.

Something stupid though if you lock down all the lava pool with wall and a lavae who is trap inside attack you the wall doesnt protect you you take the damage instead which is kind of dumb but whatever it is so tiny to be worth fixing.

I saw that you mentioned Forge. I won't read it because im on PS4 and we haven't got Forge yet so I want to remain blind to keep the discovery feeling of it in case it ever come out for us. Sorry.

39 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I'm not as concerned with game balance between characters so long as there are multiple tactics that any character can employ.

I couldn't have phrase it better, for once we are on the same page. That's why earlier mentioned the bunnymen strategy which I consider legitimate even if it easy and kind of boring in my opinion. But this strategy is available for everyone... except Webber but for im use spider and you get the same result.

23 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Exactly.  You consider a wall cheese - I see a wall doing what I would expect it to do.  Different mobs deal with walls differently.  Some will attack them, some will only be diverted by them.  For bees if you completely enclose them, they will even ignore the wall and fly over it.  You say its cheese.  If it were removed, you'd just say something else is cheese.  The slippery slope could continue until only 1 viable method of playing the game is left...

Again, the main problem with walls isn't the walls; it's the weird, inconsistent behavior that interacts with them.
- Bees can fly over them, but don't if there's a single space at the end, taking the path of most resistance rather than least resistance.
- Replacing one wall segment with a statue, a lava pool, or something similar changes it from a deterrent to a nearly impenetrable barrier.

Cheese will always exist, sure. But the current behavior isn't so much cheese. Like I said, it just seems buggy.
Piles of bunnies attacking the giant monsters? Makes sense, they're aggressive toward monsters. The above issue? Not so much; and it wouldn't take a massive code change to significantly lessen the amount of buggy-looking behavior. One line change to make the 'walled in' behavior for mobs when trying to reach an attack target into the default. The current 'smart' AI produces more of those out of place scenarios than a straightforward one would; and if it's limited to attack targets, it wouldn't even affect locked up mobs chasing food.

Much of the overly lengthy boss grinding could be solved with player-count-based HP. Add a world-gen setting for multiplying the value further for people who want more of a challenge. Almost that exact system has been out on the workshop for a long time now; a lot of these issues can be solved just by looking around the community.
...while we're at it, revert the durability cut on armor made in DST. We got less healthy armor at the same time as more healthy mobs. It was silly and just adds more grind.

I'll say that Wolfgang is something totally different. Personally, I think he could use a tweak, but he doesn't bother me as much as the more in-your-face issues.
It's the same as the grind argument; a numbers adjustment would probably be a good thing if it's done in combination with other updates, like boss HP scaling, but it'd just change the time taken, not how the game works. You'd get the same gameplay out of a 1.5x Wolfgang as a 2x Wolfgang.
Speed adjustment could change up how he actually feels to play. I might be more interested in playing him if there were some strategy to making use of his advantages, I guess.

Archived