cblack

Comprehensive guide of uses for various resources?

Recommended Posts

cblack    19

I've been playing for a while, but it never ceases to amaze me how little I feel like I know about the game just by reading some of the other forum posts.  So I was wondering, is there a guide somewhere to what are good uses of various materials (solids/liquid/gasses)?  For example, I keep hearing people talk about how useful things like CO2 or Chlorine are, but I can only think of a few uses for each (CO2 to feed slicksters and grow shrooms, and Cl to kill germs/inert food storage and grow certain plants).

Now, maybe they only have a few uses each, but I also know there are some more complex chains that are extremely useful and not immediately obvious, e.g. crude oil -> heat to petroleum -> boil to sour gas -> condense to methane -> boil to natural gas -> use in natural gas generator, which allegedly gives way more energy than just using the petrol generator.  These chains are the sort of thing I'm most interested in, but even basic uses for some things that aren't immediately apparent would be helpful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coolthulhu    597

Oil chain is the only one of its kind.

Useful tricks:

  • CO2 pit will prevent rot of all things in it. Unpowered refrigerators are more space-efficient than boxes.
  • Waterlocks (liquidlocks in general) prevent gas mixing. Atmo suits prevent wetness.
  • Liquids are usually much more conductive to heat compared to gases (stat block doesn't show it). Keep a small puddle of water (oil if heat is used) on a building to ensure it quickly exchanges heat with nearby thermoplates.
  • <2kg liquid on a gas vent will make it work even if surrounding gas is >2kg. Make sure the liquid has a place to be squeezed into or it will be deleted (and delete gas that was supposed to be placed there).
  • Diamond window tiles have the highest thermal conductivity of all tiles. Embed radiant pipes in them to maximize heat exchanges with pipes, then use thermoplates to radiate it out into gas.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sasza22    1,234
2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Diamond window tiles have the highest thermal conductivity of all tiles.

Except thermium. People forget it`s an insane conductor and focus on the overheat temp bonus.

Chlorine isn`t all together that useful beyond germ killing but most people refer to the gassy moos that can be fed gas grass. The gas grass requires liquid chlorine to grow so it makes chlorine a wanted resource if you want to farm those.

Another "chain" might be the regolith magmafication. Molten regolith changes into magma and solidifies into igneaous rock that then can be fed to stone hatches for coal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cblack    19
3 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:
  • Diamond window tiles have the highest thermal conductivity of all tiles. Embed radiant pipes in them to maximize heat exchanges with pipes, then use thermoplates to radiate it out into gas.

Ah yeah, I just used this to great effect.  I used to pump oil into my own tank and aquatuner it into petroleum, but this requires thermium and I haven't gone to space yet.  So instead, I used diamond tiles and tempshift plates to turn it into petroleum via the heat from magma.  Now I'm in the process of cooling it down so I can actually pump it into something...

22 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Another "chain" might be the regolith magmafication. Molten regolith changes into magma and solidifies into igneaous rock that then can be fed to stone hatches for coal.

Oh, I never knew it turned into igneous rock!  How does one magmafy it?  Seems everything breaks when you get to really high temps.

Edited by cblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RonEmpire    192

Chlorine =  best in combination with a Kitchen where you basically kill all the food germs that come in.  And kills off any germs off the cook.  So no need to have a sink by the kitchen.  Just waterlock the chlorine kitchen room.  Atmosuit your way in and out.

Other than that chlorine has little purpose besides balm lily free farming to feed dreckos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the plant/animal chains are worth mentioning.  Like how to get dirt from morbs, etc.  I thought a large graph which showed all the resource transmutations would be awesome, but I've been too lazy to build it.  The wiki usually lists most of the sources and sinks for any given resource, so that's a decent starting point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At my basic level, I'm looking for something like what certain items can be used for, like what can I do with eggshells?  What can I do with slime?  Something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
beowulf2010    177
19 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

At my basic level, I'm looking for something like what certain items can be used for, like what can I do with eggshells?  What can I do with slime?  Something like that.

This is actually something I've considered doing a few times. I might look into it finally. 

Specifically to eggshells, they are used purely to turn into lime for steel production. 

Slime? It's best uses are for growing mushrooms and converting to algae/polluted water. You can cook slime to dirt or just let it offgas but neither of these are all that great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yoakenashi    371

This doesn’t have all material and doesn’t go into detail on farming and cooking, but I do find it very useful for dealing with materials and chains important to oxygen and food.

Edited by yoakenashi
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cblack    19

Ah, that graph is quite helpful.  Any chance you have it in a vector format (svg or similar) so it's easier to read?  If not, I may remake it in Inkscape, and maybe add a few things if that's okay with you.

The only thing is there's no sense of what's a "good" trade, but that probably changes with updates anyway.  It seems some things have almost no use, or at least aren't worth making for any reason (e.g. naptha).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhailRaptor    735
45 minutes ago, f4rtux said:

If you need a quick reference guide to know how you can obtain or transform a material, I've create a tool Oni Database

In the next version i'm going to include the possibiity to define and explore chains of transformation of elements, hope this could be useful for you atm!

Wait....  Insulation melts into Tungstun???  So Tungstun is renewable in-game!

....if you can somehow get a material with a Conductivity of 0.00001 up to 3621.85 °C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nitroturtle    277
1 hour ago, f4rtux said:

If you need a quick reference guide to know how you can obtain or transform a material, I've create a tool Oni Database

In the next version i'm going to include the possibiity to define and explore chains of transformation of elements, hope this could be useful for you atm!

Great work, this is amazing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, f4rtux said:

If you need a quick reference guide to know how you can obtain or transform a material, I've create a tool Oni Database

In the next version i'm going to include the possibiity to define and explore chains of transformation of elements, hope this could be useful for you atm!

Excellent!  And with pictures too!! Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miravlix    67
22 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Chlorine =  best in combination with a Kitchen where you basically kill all the food germs that come in.  And kills off any germs off the cook.  So no need to have a sink by the kitchen.  Just waterlock the chlorine kitchen room.  Atmosuit your way in and out.

Other than that chlorine has little purpose besides balm lily free farming to feed dreckos.

 

You can clean water and other resources by taking it past an ore scrubber, or having containers and machines that get dirty, like the slime->algea converter. (I think they fixed it so a gas/liquid tank in a chlorine room doesn't clean the gas/liquid, because I though I saw it in patch noes?)

 

Clay and Dirt is the most important things to clean, but many other items will get dirty and result in dupes wasting insane amount of time disinfecting. So you want your Ceramic production in an automated room filled with chlorine.

 

Secondly put up a sink and a Sanitizer and compare the massive difference in the animation, meaning to save dupe wasted time you don't wan't to use sinks anywhere, resulting in needing bleach stone and you can only get that in unlimited amount by using squaky puffs to convert chlorine to bleach stones and the Sanitizer is extreamly simple, no extra stuff required like pipes and pumps to make it work.

 

Last but not least, chlorine doesn't like to transfer heat/cold, so putting containers with hot building resources in chlorine result in having to deal with less heat and the hot temp doesn't matter because using it to build makes it go to a static temp, I think it's 45C. (Vulcanos making metals doesn't really need to be cooled, beyond going from liquid to solid, because building with them remove the heat.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cblack    19
9 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

You can clean water and other resources by taking it past an ore scrubber, or having containers and machines that get dirty, like the slime->algea converter. (I think they fixed it so a gas/liquid tank in a chlorine room doesn't clean the gas/liquid, because I though I saw it in patch noes?)

 

Clay and Dirt is the most important things to clean, but many other items will get dirty and result in dupes wasting insane amount of time disinfecting. So you want your Ceramic production in an automated room filled with chlorine.

...

Last but not least, chlorine doesn't like to transfer heat/cold, so putting containers with hot building resources in chlorine result in having to deal with less heat and the hot temp doesn't matter because using it to build makes it go to a static temp, I think it's 45C. (Vulcanos making metals doesn't really need to be cooled, beyond going from liquid to solid, because building with them remove the heat.)

I've never needed to scrub ores or even built an ore scrubber, but then again, I don't store large quantities of them within my base.  Au/Cu/Fe all gets stored next to an AETN as it's hotter than Hell when it comes out of a volcano or when grabbed from the surface.  I think cooling it down kills germs anyway.

Of note though, is that to cool anything in a container depends entirely on what the container is "standing" on, not what is behind the container.  E.g., if you build a container on insulation next to an AETN, fill it full of hot diamonds, and use diamond tempshift plates behind it, they will not cool down.  You need a thermally conductive floor to make it work, and can forget any tempshift plating.  So, rather than bother filling the room the containers are in with Cl, just build them on insulated tiles.

17 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Secondly put up a sink and a Sanitizer and compare the massive difference in the animation, meaning to save dupe wasted time you don't wan't to use sinks anywhere, resulting in needing bleach stone and you can only get that in unlimited amount by using squaky puffs to convert chlorine to bleach stones and the Sanitizer is extreamly simple, no extra stuff required like pipes and pumps to make it work.

The problem I have with the sanitizer is that by the time I could create a squeaky puff farm, I've already got sinks set up and plumbed.  If the goal of a sanitizer is to save dupe time over a sink, one needs to consider that the entire process must be automated (both feeding the puffs and transmitting the stone into the sanitizer).  If the goal is to remove germs better than the sink, then yes, it does that.  However, the sink does a fine job of that anyway, and my immune systems are locked at 100% so it seems excessive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhailRaptor    735
7 hours ago, cblack said:

I've never needed to scrub ores or even built an ore scrubber, but then again, I don't store large quantities of them within my base.  Au/Cu/Fe all gets stored next to an AETN as it's hotter than Hell when it comes out of a volcano or when grabbed from the surface.  I think cooling it down kills germs anyway.

Just because it has "Ore" in it's name, doesn't mean it's only usable on metals.  It works on any carried by a Dupe, except a bottle of liquid or canister of gas.  But that is far from the reason nobody uses them.  The problem is they remove a fixed quantity of germs per use, 480,000 germs, when objects can easily be covered in over a million germs, particularly blobs of Slime.  To remove all the Slimelung germs, the blob of Slime must go through 3 Ore Scrubbers chained together.  And if any one of them is occupied by a different Dupe, it will be skipped.

As for heat-treatment for germs, heat kills Food Poisoning better, and cold kills Slimelung better.  However, at volcanic temperatures, both will die anyway.

7 hours ago, Miravlix said:

You can clean water and other resources by taking it past an ore scrubber, or having containers and machines that get dirty, like the slime->algea converter. (I think they fixed it so a gas/liquid tank in a chlorine room doesn't clean the gas/liquid, because I though I saw it in patch noes?)

Bottles of liquid and canisters of gas do not get cleaned at Ore Scrubbers.  And the contents of Reservoirs do still get Chlorine Exposure when surrounded by Chlorine.  You just need to set up a system so the fluid will actually sit in the Reservoir for a bit without any new contaminant entering it.  @Neotuck has a couple of designs floating around, one of which is here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cblack    19

Thanks for the advice, but until I start experiencing issues with germs I'm not going to go through all the trouble of scrubbing everything.  If it becomes a problem, I'll definitely try that out.

My real problem is that in my current game, I think I've mined every single block of clay (for ceramic), and I have no polluted oxygen vent to easily supply me with more.  Is the only option to get more to go to space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Christophlette    153
10 hours ago, cblack said:

Thanks for the advice, but until I start experiencing issues with germs I'm not going to go through all the trouble of scrubbing everything.  If it becomes a problem, I'll definitely try that out.

My real problem is that in my current game, I think I've mined every single block of clay (for ceramic), and I have no polluted oxygen vent to easily supply me with more.  Is the only option to get more to go to space?

You can let some polluted water offgass and transform the PO2 into O2 using the deodorizers. They use sand and transform it to clay in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cblack    19

Yeah, the issue is that it's very slow.  I may try making a large, shallow basin, but I think it's about time I got into space.    Of course the ceramic runs out literally while I'm building my steam supply line :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ishakaru    24
4 hours ago, cblack said:

Yeah, the issue is that it's very slow.

Bottled pH2O offgasses much faster than freestanding pH2O. You pump 5t of pH2O into a liquid reservoir then have a plumber deconstruct the reservoir. 5t of pH2O in a bottle offgassing at >150g/s. 

 

Or you could not empty pH2O bottles from algae terrariums(what I do). This is the first time I've attempted this, but I have 1 AT surrounded by 3 deodorizers just in case that bottle of pH2O goes above 200g/s. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now