chestnutcute

Ranching is giving me a headache

image.png.b4098abab1e3c17d9098bea86d49ed6b.png

I don't like how my dupes are spending their time doing ranching the whole day. Is there a better way to ranching or something may be wrong with my Stables? 
Any ideas or links would be appreciated. Thank you for reading. 
Is there really no way for fast lime except for fossils? >:O 

GemeinerJack    49

If you want a lot of lime in a short amount of time, there is no alternative to fossils, sad but true

BUT

Ranching is a way for infinte lime delivered as a byproduct to meat (and whatever the critter itself produce if you feed them) after you invested a lot of time to build up a population. Just as something to think about: Wild critter can survive without food. Space missions brings back wild critters. More Critters means more lifecycles. More lifecycles means more meat and eggs. And if you keep them wild you don't need any dupe time on them, if you put in sweepers for collection of eggs shells and meat, the only work your dupes need to do is delivering them to the stable (or aquarium in my case)

Edited by GemeinerJack

Coolthulhu    596
2 hours ago, chestnutcute said:

I don't like how my dupes are spending their time doing ranching the whole day. Is there a better way to ranching or something may be wrong with my Stables?

Possible causes:

• Your computer is under load, which causes creature AI to get really slow. Observe your ranches - if critters take a long time to start going towards the stable, this is it. It is a big flaw within ONI design that has been known for a while, but hasn't been addressed yet.
  • The paths to grooming station are too long. Most common with dreckos. For hatches and slicksters, you can just make tall and narrow stables (or open stables).
  • Your critters are underfed and prefer to feed instead of getting groomed. Only happens to slicksters and pufts. Gets much worse with the AI slowdown problem.

But really, it's almost certainly the AI slowdown. Joys of Unity engine.

• Like 1

Craigjw    207

Limit access to the stables, this is how I stopped my dupes from spending so much time ranching.

I built a variation on the Fish-O-Matic.  The original design has it's issues, which you won't know without reading a lot of the post, but I made a working version which I posted around page 5.  it's stable and has been working for me for about 500 cycles uninterrupted and consumes about 1kg algae/100 seconds.  It uses 1 fish to produce multiple eggs, which gets sent to a second pool, which has no food supply.  The fish here just produce a single egg, which isn't much, but when there's lots of them, it's a lot of egg shells. 

Most of the fish are at the other end of the tank, plus I caused a conveyor blockage which, left unchecked for 50 cycles meant that my entire fish population died out and I had lots of rotten eggs, luckily a single fish had survived...

I can feed the breeding pool fish more algae if I want more fish quicker, or use the incubators, however I have no means to transport the incubated fish to the 2ndary pool at the moment, a fish release could be placed to the left of the incubators though for this.

image.thumb.png.1418c4b3a1cc9ccfa0e3c5ed140478e9.png

Edited by Craigjw
  • Thanks 1

ChickenMadness    159

lol making that automated puft ranch gave me such a headache I just got bored and stopped playing ONI for a couple weeks after I finished it.

Went and played Darkest Dungeon instead.

Edited by ChickenMadness

Craigjw    207
32 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

Here is my setup, I got so much lime now

image.thumb.png.9f467fe00f2dd291123ee750054e73f1.png

I like your setup.

Do you not get an overcrowded debuff on the stock pool on the left?  I used a small 20x4 ish pool to hold my stock fish, however when this became full, I found that the fish stopped producing eggs and the population died out, hence the massive pool I use currently, conversely this may have also been caused by my feeding them, which ironically causes them to starve to death.

I can't see how you are refilling the feeder, is this via the dupe delivery service or do you have a compactor off-screen to the right?

Edited by Craigjw

DaveSatx    70
9 hours ago, chestnutcute said:

image.png.b4098abab1e3c17d9098bea86d49ed6b.png

Any ideas or links would be appreciated. Thank you for reading. 
Is there really no way for fast lime except for fossils? >:O 

hmm. all of your dupes ranch? that could also be an issue right there..

Oni Noob    144
4 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I like your setup.

Do you not get an overcrowded debuff on the stock pool on the left?  I used a small 20x4 ish pool to hold my stock fish, however when this became full, I found that the fish stopped producing eggs and the population died out, hence the massive pool I use currently, conversely this may have also been caused by my feeding them, which ironically causes them to starve to death.

I can't see how you are refilling the feeder, is this via the dupe delivery service or do you have a compactor off-screen to the right?

Nope not at all, even I feed them so much food and the right side population got around 4 fishes they dont get over crowded buff

For the feeder I got an storage full of algae(Red) and while the blue sweeper fill her up. 
image.thumb.png.6be3a455357af5246e6d4956d6ba9287.png

Current population to the right side is 3 but the max fish I got at one point is 4 and still no overcrowded :)

image.thumb.png.d4da6a08d13423bca8f1c2aa4383ee34.png

Just a tip you dont want your dups to go inside it, because dups always tries to move the eggs into the compactor

19 hours ago, GemeinerJack said:

Wild critter can survive without food. Space missions brings back wild critters.

Valuable information 2bad i can't do space stuff without steel supply unless i rush the shyt out of it.

19 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Your computer is under load, which causes creature AI to get really slow. Observe your ranches - if critters take a long time to start going towards the stable, this is it

Going towards the stable? I observed that my dupe spend their time calling the pufts for "quite some time" and in the end no puft came and they just walk out of the stable doing nothing .-.

15 hours ago, Craigjw said:

Limit access to the stables, this is how I stopped my dupes from spending so much time ranching.

My last resort and temporary one. 

Thank you all for replies and discussion, I think i'll look into the "Fish thingy" and setup one hopefully working ;w; 
As for the critters maybe i'll just ... ugh limit dupe access to them for now until i get wild critters and \o/ 

Coolthulhu    596
8 hours ago, chestnutcute said:

Going towards the stable? I observed that my dupe spend their time calling the pufts for "quite some time" and in the end no puft came and they just walk out of the stable doing nothing .-.

That's it.

You can't really do anything to improve it in your game, it's all up to Klei.

• Sad 1

greggbert    70

The only two things I can suggest is moving your ranch closer or having a transport tube to/from your ranch so travel to your ranch is less of an issue.  Or designing the ranch so you don't have to wait so long for the creatures to come to you.

Craigjw    207

Can you at least post a pic of your puft farm, perhaps there is something in the design that's causing the issue.