Why is Chlorine, Gold, Wolfremite a finite resource?

I don't get why space rocks keep repeating the same resources, instead of covering the items we have a finite amount of.

Did I get a bad map seeds and that is why those resources don't exist in space?

Chlorine has a random chance to spawn a geyser and it prolly should be removed from game, it's way overkill with a geyser of chlorine and we really could use some other way of creating it in small amounts.

Wolfremite->Tungsten is required for the new Thoirum, something if I could get more of I would build most of my items with. I don't have a problem with it being slow going like Isoresin, though Isoresin to Isolation is silly slow, I still can't build 10 tiles pipe with it, even while I keep trying to farm it.

Gold is just a great resource and maybe the map has enough, but I didn't adjust my usage pattern to be based on it being a finite resource, all my electrical wires is made out of gold, where Copper is something I used to stop using because it was finite and never was close to running out of, it's possible I could do the same with gold. (I think it copper is available in space now?)

I'm torn on Chlorine. If you're careful when mining you have plenty of chlorine for everything but Gas Grass. But I prefer having a geyser even if it sits at max pressure once I build my storage room. 

Wolframite and Tungsten? Agreed. 

Gold? Not much of a problem. Anything that Gold Amalgam is used for can be made out of renewable steel with little trouble. 

We can only assume that Chlorine, Gas Grass, and Gassy Moos will all receive a balance pass at some point.  The only machinery that uses Chlorine (the Ore Scrubber) is completely worthless, and barely consumes any.  Gassy Moos do not produce enough NatGas to be worth the effort involved in building a ranch, collecting them, and irrigating the Gas Grass they need to eat (which itself requires sunlight, reducing access for Solar Panels, which provide more power, and Rockets, which are much more useful).

The only other use for Chlorine is to feed Squeaky Pufts to produce Bleach Stone.  But Squeaky Pufts are awkward to sustain due to their egg mechanics, and Bleach Stone can only be used for Hand Sanitizers, which are less efficient to maintain than plumbed Sinks.

So yeah, it's no question that Chlorine and it's dependent resource chains will be reworked.

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

So yeah, it's no question that Chlorine and it's dependent resource chains will be reworked.

My take also. The only use I have for Chlorine these days is food storage, and you do not need a lot of that for it. Maybe an end-game "Quantum Transmogrifier" that can convert any matter into the non-renewable ones, using oodles of energy?

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

....which are less efficient to maintain than plumbed Sinks.

Not to mention plumbed sinks produce the incredibly useful polluted water. Hand sanitizers are essentially completely pointless atm, which is a shame since i love its animation :p

Oh, and for tungsten, there is a option to produce it out of reneable ressources, it takes forever and you will most likely look at me like i am an idiot, but:
You can melt Insulation to tungsten at 3600+°C, there is a building, which you can build out of insulation and produces heat to itself, that doesn't overheat: compost

I would never do it, but you can do it.... *shrug*

16 minutes ago, GemeinerJack said:

Oh, and for tungsten, there is a option to produce it out of reneable ressources, it takes forever and you will most likely look at me like i am an idiot, but:
You can melt Insulation to tungsten at 3600+°C, there is a building, which you can build out of insulation and produces heat to itself, that doesn't overheat: compost

Hardcore

Gold is useful for the oxylite refinery but you shouldn`t rely on that thing for too long so i guess you don`t need infinite gold. Also i think gold was avialable on the 30k satellite iirc.

Would be nice if tungsten was available on one of the ice destinations. As for chlorine it`s weird that there is none at where you get the gassy moos. One would think they live where there`s enough chlorine to sustian some gas grass and not on an organic mass where you`d rather expect sage hatches and pufts.

12 hours ago, GemeinerJack said:

compost

Not practically, you can't. The compost is 800kg and insulation has a high shc. It'd take 23,000+ cycles for it to generate enough heat to melt itself.

14 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Gold is useful for the oxylite refinery but you shouldn`t rely on that thing for too long so i guess you don`t need infinite gold. Also i think gold was avialable on the 30k satellite iirc.

Not in any of my games so far. Can anybody confirm seeing this also? Just interested.

okay, i must admit, there is a more practial solution to melting insulation:

build a kiln, like the compost, it doesn't have an overheat point. Heat it up to around 2500°C, melt niobium or steel (steel has a higher heat capacity, niobium can take higher temperatures, so take your pick). Now be aware that liquid pumps can take liquids one tile below themselves but need a liquid inside of the 2x2 to be able to pump below themselfes.

Spoiler

pump.png.e17995c6d73e4ddcf8ddbc24c9de740b.png

Use the liquid metal as a "coolant" for your metal refinery to heat it up even further. Use that super heated coolant to melt "standart pipes" made of insulation.

But hey, the compost idea is much more simple and easier to understand ;)

P.S.: Don't let the kiln heat up to much, if the kiln melts, the game crashes ;)

2 minutes ago, biopon said:

Steel won't work, it vaporizes 1000+ degrees below the melting point of insulation. Niobium does fit the bill though, I might try this. :)

hmm?... *opens up game, looks at ingame steel information* Liquid at 2400°C, Gas at 3800°C, yearh, no mistake there... *looks at insulation information* Melts to tungsten at 3600°C, as i thought

*cough*

Sorry dude, you are wrong :p

On 1/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, GemeinerJack said:

What sort of "insulation" are you talking about? Any insulator wires or? o-o 

1 hour ago, chestnutcute said:

What sort of "insulation" are you talking about? Any insulator wires or? o-o 

No. They are talking about a high end material called "Insulation" made by the Molecular Forge.

Unfortunately this means we get to have the confusion of making Insulated Pipe from Insulation. 

9 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

No. They are talking about a high end material called "Insulation" made by the Molecular Forge.

Unfortunately this means we get to have the confusion of making Insulated Pipe from Insulation. 

Haha lol ye i was totally confused. Thinking there were some hidden content in melting insulation pipes. 

Totally haven't made Molecular Forge yet, Taking my time making my pretty base :p ( at least in my eyes )

Thank you.

1 hour ago, chestnutcute said:

Haha lol ye i was totally confused. Thinking there were some hidden content in melting insulation pipes. 

Totally haven't made Molecular Forge yet, Taking my time making my pretty base :p ( at least in my eyes )

Thank you.

No worries. I wish they hadn't doubled up the name like they did. 

On 11/01/2019 at 6:59 AM, ConnerMc2000 said:

It also doesn't help the tungsten/gold in the only two finite resources needed to make the advanced space materials.

I can't imagine that's a coincidence.

It does seem really odd that gold doesn't exist on the satellite 'planet' types at least in trace amounts since well.. electronics.  Hell tungsten would follow the same logic assuming aluminium and titanium don't exist then tungsten carbide could be a vaguely functional fallback? (All that fuel... Good thing they'd sorted infinite energy :P)

But yeah I assume it's a gameplay reason to at least make you consider conservation and best resource use in a long term sense on something rather than the vast majority of resources where it's just 'do I have enough to last me till I can set up infinite production?'.  Although gold volcano's kinda blow part of that theory apart >_<

The short term gain vs long term loss bit of going from niobium to thermium to niobium to thermium is kind of neat though.

3 hours ago, Chaoticlusts said:

But yeah I assume it's a gameplay reason to at least make you consider conservation and best resource use in a long term sense on something rather than the vast majority of resources where it's just 'do I have enough to last me till I can set up infinite production?'. 

That's the thing, though.  Sure, Ore is limited, but other than Tungstun literally every other resource is renewable if you have the right Geysers, Volcanoes, or Planetoids.  So why is Tungstun so special that it needs to be non-renewable?

12 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

So why is Tungstun so special that it needs to be non-renewable?

I can`t imagine a tungsten volcano for sure. We don`t have materials that could handle that. If it existed it could melt the entire asteroid if given enough time.

As for space availability it could be a resource on the ice giant. Those are around 60-80k so it remains hard to get but not completely unrevelable.

Archived