Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Deiros

Don't Starve broken for good?

Deiros    0

Looks like Klei killed Don't Starve for good... just a few moments ago, I opened the game and was informed that an update was available. I confirmed and the game opened as usual. However, first I was asked to deaktivate my mods, then I tried to costumize my world - at that moment the game crashed, showed a long list of errors and then I was asked to leave the game.

Great, just great.

Zillvr    1,634

Hello @Deiros, welcome to the forums. Unfortunate as it is, issues occur but thankfully some issues can be diagnosed and fixed. I updated Don't Starve too just now and also disabled any mods I had active previously upon start up. Loaded up a new world without any mods, and didn't crash. So I think the issue you encountered is isolated from the base game of Don't Starve (Rev. 302498).

As always, it's recommended that you attach a copy of your log.txt found under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve cause that will reflect what caused the crash. Understanding the crash will help fix the crash and hopefully help other users who may be experiencing the same thing.

To attach, click the choose files... when making your reply or simply drag drop the log.txt file itself into the text box.

Deiros    0

Ummmm... I'm a bit clueless... I'm playing the "basic" version of DS.

Well, I found three types of text files:

1. "backup_log.txt"

2. "log.txt

3. "settings.ini"

which one?

18 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

Hello @Deiros, welcome to the forums. Unfortunate as it is, issues occur but thankfully some issues can be diagnosed and fixed. I updated Don't Starve too just now and also disabled any mods I had active previously upon start up. Loaded up a new world without any mods, and didn't crash. So I think the issue you encountered is isolated from the base game of Don't Starve (Rev. 302498).

As always, it's recommended that you attach a copy of your log.txt found under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve cause that will reflect what caused the crash. Understanding the crash will help fix the crash and hopefully help other users who may be experiencing the same thing.

To attach, click the choose files... when making your reply or simply drag drop the log.txt file itself into the text box.

Maybe a screenshot does the trick?

Screenshot (1).png

Zillvr    1,634

@Deiros log.txt is what you should attach. But if you started up Don't Starve again right after the crash, then it's the backup_log.txt that will hold the pertinent information.

Have you tried to verify the integrity of the game cache yet? Based on the screenshot, it seems to be an issue with the game files.

Deiros    0
23 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

@Deiros log.txt is what you should attach. But if you started up Don't Starve again right after the crash, then it's the backup_log.txt that will hold the pertinent information.

Have you tried to verify the integrity of the game cache yet? Based on the screenshot, it seems to be an issue with the game files.

ok, I did the whole verification process and it keeps saying that all files have been checked successfully. but the game keeps crashing as soon as I leave the customize menu...

one idea of mine is to uninstall DS and download it anew.

btw: I dunno if you ever noticed, but before the newest update some hours ago, DS already witnessed severe bugs for several weeks. lots of gamers complained about them. for example, world setting didn't work at all, keeping "jumping back" to zero when leaving the customize menu. and now, after the update, it's even worse...

Zillvr    1,634

@Deiros log.txt file?

What were you customizing? What DLC did you enable? The log.txt file will help diagnosing the issue.

And yes, I'm aware of the issues concerning world presets. But I'm simply a forum moderator, common issues like the one you are experiencing (just based on what you've said so far) often times can be remedied. So hopefully we can find a workaround.

Also, in case you haven't seen it. The devs have QoL updates planned for Don't Starve (see here) within the coming days. Now I can't guarantee that update will fix all the issues people are experiencing but it's still something to look forward to.

Deiros    0
5 hours ago, Zillvr said:

@Deiros log.txt file?

What were you customizing? What DLC did you enable? The log.txt file will help diagnosing the issue.

And yes, I'm aware of the issues concerning world presets. But I'm simply a forum moderator, common issues like the one you are experiencing (just based on what you've said so far) often times can be remedied. So hopefully we can find a workaround.

Also, in case you haven't seen it. The devs have QoL updates planned for Don't Starve (see here) within the coming days. Now I can't guarantee that update will fix all the issues people are experiencing but it's still something to look forward to.

Hmmm, ok, I'm gonna try copying the log.txt file to this chat. Meanwhile: it has been mods such as "foxy", "freddy fazbear" and "the sceecher". they are now deactivated.

log.txt

Zillvr    1,634

@Deiros disabling those mods, didn't fix the issue for you? Then try the following:

• From Don't Starve's Steam Workshop, click Browse > Subscribed Items
  • Then unsubscribe from" Don't Starve at Freddy's-Foxy The Pirate Fox", "Don't Starve at Freddy's - Freddy Fazbear" and any other mods (just to be safe)
  • Once unsubscribed, do another verify the integrity of the game cache.
  • Go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/mods on your windows explorer and delete/cut workshop-### folders to a different locations.
  • Start up game and attempt to make game crash again.
  • If it crashes again, attach another copy of your log.txt file

Frankly speaking, I think the issue you encounter is due to the character mods you have installed which could be conflicting with the current version of the game thereby crashing it. Try the method above if it fixes it or not first though.

Deiros    0
29 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

@Deiros disabling those mods, didn't fix the issue for you? Then try the following:

• From Don't Starve's Steam Workshop, click Browse > Subscribed Items
  • Then unsubscribe from" Don't Starve at Freddy's-Foxy The Pirate Fox", "Don't Starve at Freddy's - Freddy Fazbear" and any other mods (just to be safe)
  • Once unsubscribed, do another verify the integrity of the game cache.
  • Go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/mods on your windows explorer and delete/cut workshop-### folders to a different locations.
  • Start up game and attempt to make game crash again.
  • If it crashes again, attach another copy of your log.txt file

Frankly speaking, I think the issue you encounter is due to the character mods you have installed which could be conflicting with the current version of the game thereby crashing it. Try the method above if it fixes it or not first though.

I did everything you said. nope. nothing helps. sorry, but I'm getting a bit sour now. I mean, it's a game I paid for and I really love to play it. And I did everything I was recommended so far, without improving anything or solving the issues. since I checked the files on my computer and checked the verification on steam and both say that everything was alright, I start to believe that both your updates simply damaged the game itself.

Again, I may remind you and your team to the issues from before the newest update, thus, the issues ar not new, right?

I'm really sorry if I sound icky and bitchy now, but I'm pretty sad that the game brakes down more and more, making it almost unplayable. And, as far as I noticed from the steam forums and here, I am not the only one experiencing this very issue with the world costumization. really, I'm thinking about kicking the game and download it anew, maybe it will fix the problem.

log.txt

Zillvr    1,634

Again @Deiros, I'm simply a forum moderator. I don't work for Klei nor am I under Klei's employ. I just help out with the forums.

I understand the frustration and initially I thought the issue is isolated since I don't crash when I make world changes (haven't actually played in a while) so after going over what you've said earlier, this issue occurs primarily with the base game.

I have/had all my DLCs active earlier when I tried to replicate your issue in particular and accessing the custom world menus and applying changes didn't crash for me. I haven't tested if the changes took effect but I reckon since the issue of no preset changes apply is prevalent it probably didn't apply for me too. I'll have to do some personal testing on my own.

Upon disabling all the DLCs and replicating the steps, I get the same exact crash. "newgamescreen.lua:171: table index is nil". I'll try and see if I can somehow find a workaround for this before suggesting any more methods for you.

Sorry for the hoops, but since there we're mods involved earlier it was within reason to consider mod issue so we had to rule that out.

Again, as I've mentioned earlier the devs are planning to make the QOL update get pushed within the following days. I have no info on the specifics though but my sincere recommendation for you right now is to wait on that coming update and hope it fixes the issues everyone has been experiencing.

There's a Dev Steam every Thrusday on 3:30pm Pacific over at Klei's Twitch. Since the QoL update was pinned to be released around this week, maybe the devs will discuss the issue then. Until then, I'm stumped.

We'll have to wait on the devs final input on the matter. Hopefully they will a fix for the issue. Sorry again for not being any help.

Deiros    0
1 hour ago, Zillvr said:

Again @Deiros, I'm simply a forum moderator. I don't work for Klei nor am I under Klei's employ. I just help out with the forums.

I understand the frustration and initially I thought the issue is isolated since I don't crash when I make world changes (haven't actually played in a while) so after going over what you've said earlier, this issue occurs primarily with the base game.

I have/had all my DLCs active earlier when I tried to replicate your issue in particular and accessing the custom world menus and applying changes didn't crash for me. I haven't tested if the changes took effect but I reckon since the issue of no preset changes apply is prevalent it probably didn't apply for me too. I'll have to do some personal testing on my own.

Upon disabling all the DLCs and replicating the steps, I get the same exact crash. "newgamescreen.lua:171: table index is nil". I'll try and see if I can somehow find a workaround for this before suggesting any more methods for you.

Sorry for the hoops, but since there we're mods involved earlier it was within reason to consider mod issue so we had to rule that out.

Again, as I've mentioned earlier the devs are planning to make the QOL update get pushed within the following days. I have no info on the specifics though but my sincere recommendation for you right now is to wait on that coming update and hope it fixes the issues everyone has been experiencing.

There's a Dev Steam every Thrusday on 3:30pm Pacific over at Klei's Twitch. Since the QoL update was pinned to be released around this week, maybe the devs will discuss the issue then. Until then, I'm stumped.

We'll have to wait on the devs final input on the matter. Hopefully they will a fix for the issue. Sorry again for not being any help.

oh no, that's exactly what I wanted to avoid: making you feel bad... -.-" I'm very grateful for your attempts - thanks a thousand! 

and yes, the exact same error nottification as you mentioned occurs to me and other gamers! 

yeah, let's wait for the QoL update. maybe it will fix the game.

cheers!^^

bizziboi    1,768

Apologies - this error crept in with the fix for the world settings, and it caused a crash for people that had no DLC installed.

I am in the process of deploying a fix for it.

Deiros    0
2 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Apologies - this error crept in with the fix for the world settings, and it caused a crash for people that had no DLC installed.

I am in the process of deploying a fix for it.

thanks a thousand. I play DS since years and I love it to a fault! that's why I was so sad when it started crashing.