The ULTIMATE Q&A DST

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Seriously: With your "The ULTIMATE Q&A DST" suggestion I would really like to kick you from the world. Spider Eggs aren't made for using them as fuel or getting a total of 2 silk only once. They're really valuable and can be used as a free meat & health source.

I didn't know that Spider Eggs can be used as fuel. Idk about value. Have 40+ Spider Eggs in the chest (all dens exterminated, no spider on the map) and they don't seem really valuable. Used to plant only one Egg inside the Bunnymen pen and collect Silk and Glands after some period of time so Monster Meat transforms into Rot. This is done after I destroyed the planted den. Then check the total count of items and decide if I need more of it or just give the Bunnymen a vacation.

My previous post is, and I should have made it clear, intended for late game. When you try "to make the world a better place" and start erasing those little buggers. In early game you should have a Spider Den near your base for easy access to Monster Meat.

Late game (as I am right now) Monster Meat from Hound attacks is enough (after transformed into Monster Jerky, and if it is not eaten, it goes into the bundle).

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

It's really easy to solo the Queen 1v1, especially if you already have a Spider Hat. With Spider Hat: Make sure there are some Spider Dens nearby and hire Spiders with the Spider Hat.Tell them to attack the Queen and as soon as they start attacking, put off the hat to make the spiders neutral once again. Nearby Spiders will see the Spider Queen attacking neutral Spiders and attack the Queen => free Spider Hat!

Without Spider Hat you can just use Traps to get rid of her followers. Traps (not Tooth Traps) kill Spiders instantly!

As I said, getting rid of spiders will make you never need a Spider Hat. So instead of finding solution for the problem (Spiders) I better eliminate the problem.

Also I hate Traps! They have way too much durability. They are useless sping for rabbits, they are triggered by Moleworms, and they have to be manually reset. The only good use for it may be a Frog Rain, but I have a whole room full of Tooth Traps for that.

Anyway it's been too long since I started fresh on a new world, I keep playing my main world and my early game is a little rusty so you don't need to take that serious my comments. They might be wrong.

13 minutes ago, Maslak said:

I don't agree about spider eggs being so valuable. As long as you have a couple of dens and/or eggs stored you could even burn the remaining ones so there won't be unwanted infestation.

Burning is a little bit extreme. At least get some silk from the den. Right now, I offer Silk as a tribute to my Lureplant whenever I have too much of it. Like anything else that might be too much to fit the chest.

38 minutes ago, Maslak said:

I don't agree about spider eggs being so valuable. As long as you have a couple of dens and/or eggs stored you could even burn the remaining ones so there won't be unwanted infestation.

Maybe there's an better way to get rid of Spider Eggs instead of burning them, for example: You might craft an Deconstruction Staff for 1.2x Green Gems (Use 1 Green Gem on Construction Amulet and 20% of it to create a Deconstruction Staff with only 1 Green Gem) and deconstruct 5x Spider Eggs. You'll get 60x Silk, 30x Spider Glands and 30x Papyrus (^= 120x Reeds), that would allow you to craft 15 Books, 10 Night Armours (Use them together with Football Helmets to maximize the durability) or 30 Honey Poultice.

44 minutes ago, MaXaRaYkIn said:

As I said, getting rid of spiders will make you never need a Spider Hat. So instead of finding solution for the problem (Spiders) I better eliminate the problem.

What's the problem about Spiders? Do you talk about all these Spider Queens coming from the Dens and spreading Dens all over the whole map? My way to get rid of that problem is to plant 6 Pine Cones close around a Spider Den. The Queen isn't small enough to squeeze herself between two close Evergreens and that way she won't be able to spread more Spider Dens across the map.

38 minutes ago, MaXaRaYkIn said:

The only good use for it may be a Frog Rain, but I have a whole room full of Tooth Traps for that.

I'm almost always using Frog Rain to kill Goose/Goose(s) and all the moslings. Free Frog Legs, Meat & Feathers.

2 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

What's the problem about Spiders? Do you talk about all these Spider Queens coming from the Dens and spreading Dens all over the whole map? My way to get rid of that problem is to plant 6 Pine Cones close around a Spider Den. The Queen isn't small enough to squeeze herself between two close Evergreens and that way she won't be able to spread more Spider Dens across the map.

They are still there. I would like to clear the map from any inconveniences, so it is "safe".

That's a nice idea you have there. If you do the pine cone thingy, does she spawn from the den, and that den goes to level one, and then she will stay there forever, because she doesn't have space to plant herself?

Or she just doesn't keep the den she spawned from and she will plant herself back normally?

6 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

I'm almost always using Frog Rain to kill Goose/Goose(s) and all the moslings. Free Frog Legs, Meat & Feathers.

No more feathers! I have a chest full of it and no one uses them. The bad thing is that you can't burn them :(

Anyway I used to do that too, but those days are long gone. I just get Frog Legs with my tooth traps, or ignore the frogs completly

6 minutes ago, MaXaRaYkIn said:

That's a nice idea you have there. If you do the pine cone thingy, does she spawn from the den, and that den goes to level one, and then she will stay there forever, because she doesn't have space to plant herself?

Or she just doesn't keep the den she spawned from and she will plant herself back normally?

image.thumb.png.b738239cf74ac6fb1451a3f28ec04a34.png

As much as I know Spider Queens shouldn't spawn dens upon creation if there are too many dens nearby & they shouldn't turn themself into a den if there are too many dens nearby. But this Spider Queen just spawned without consuming the den and got stuck in the Trees. She was "shaking" around the den because there wasn't enough place for her but she still couldn't escape.

1 minute ago, Viktor234 said:

As much as I know Spider Queens shouldn't spawn dens upon creation if there are too many dens nearby & they shouldn't turn themself into a den if there are too many dens nearby. But this Spider Queen just spawned without consuming the den and got stuck in the Trees. She was "shaking" around the den because there wasn't enough place for her but she still couldn't escape.

Wow, now I can get more weird creatures into my Zoo!

How exaclty does WX-78s "SYSTEM OVERLOAD" work in DST? I know that he will gain slightly less overcharge time for each subsequent lightning strike when his overcharge mode is already active. But how much less is it? Does it reach a point where a lightning strike gives no extra overcharge time?

1 hour ago, Fjedjik said:

How exaclty does WX-78s "SYSTEM OVERLOAD" work in DST? I know that he will gain slightly less overcharge time for each subsequent lightning strike when his overcharge mode is already active. But how much less is it? Does it reach a point where a lightning strike gives no extra overcharge time?

According to DarkXero it seems to stop giving a significant amount of charge beyond 16 or so lightning hits. Conveniently about the amount of times a single use of The End is Nigh! would do.

7 hours ago, Master Jand said:

Is there a way to glitch into the ocean efficiently, without having to build a wardrobe or place a lureplant, something not very resource-consuming the can be done Early-Game?

2x (Marble Statue, Wooden gate and Walls) in this order towards the ocean next to each other. It's reusable but won't always work perfectly. Type '/rescue' to get back on land.

Updated main post.

9 hours ago, Master Jand said:

Is there a way to glitch into the ocean efficiently, without having to build a wardrobe or place a lureplant, something not very resource-consuming the can be done Early-Game?

Why would you want to glitch in the ocean? What is the advantage? What exploit do you use it for?

12 hours ago, Mikro said:

According to DarkXero it seems to stop giving a significant amount of charge beyond 16 or so lightning hits. Conveniently about the amount of times a single use of The End is Nigh! would do.

Thank you! With those numbers and the script I managed to make a graph which I think illustrate the overcharge given for each subsequent lightning strike pretty well.

So this is how much overcharge each lightning strike will give after x-1 lightning strikes has already been given. The y-axis is in seconds.

Spoiler

wxOverchargeGraph

This is a graph of the total amount of overcharge after x lightning strikes. The y-axis is in seconds. 

Spoiler

wxTotalOvercharge

5 minutes ago, MaXaRaYkIn said:

Why would you want to glitch in the ocean? What is the advantage? What exploit do you use it for?

Hey, Louisiana woman, Mississippi man
We get together every time we can
The Mississippi River can't keep us apart
There's too much love in the Mississippi heart
Too much love in this Louisiana heart

If two country music lovers are separated by a body of water they can use this exploit to meet!

1 hour ago, MaXaRaYkIn said:

Updated main post.

And Lureplant has to be saved for:

On the other hand the Ocean glitch can also be used to reach the Ancient Fuelweaver or other locations quickly.

Holy Molly! Those are some serious exploits! It somehow makes me lose the interest in DST if you can get those hard things so easy, with so called exploits. I recently defeated Ancient Fuel Weaver for the first time, using blow darts. It was not the same thrill as when we tried killing him with melee and we always would end up dying. That was some adrenaline.

8 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

On the other hand the Ocean glitch can also be used to reach the Ancient Fuelweaver or other locations quickly.

Yes, the main reason I use the ocean glitch early-game is to rush ruins. Due to the very twisty and dead-endy nature of the caves, using an ocean glitch can make it so you can find the ruins more easily.

I have a few questions:

1- How do Clothing insulation work in all seasons? I heard people using beefalo hat and hibernation vest in summer?

2- Was the Fashion melon patched? I remember it used to set your body temperature at certain degrees and work all seasons but someone told me it doesn’t anymore? (I rarely use fashion melon but I used it like that once before)

3-How to max insulation in summer and winter with clothes+thermal stone (And the difference between DS and DST)?

- What's the most efficient early game pattern?

What i usually do solo is gather tons of rocks and live off carrots, then basing down days 7-10 near a swamp, then cut down a large amount of birch trees, make tons of trail mix, football hats, wood armor, a bat and stone walls, so that i may rush DF on day 22. Would this be okay?

Online depends on whichever role is missing - that's the role i have to pick, right? If i pick support Wick, i support and gather plants as much as possible. If i pick Max, i gather resources. And i don't pick combat bc of my poor latency, which leaves me with Webber or Wendy. Would this be fine?

- Also, what should one prioritize during Spring - farming or Meese hunting?

- Lastly, how do i make large, tidy bases? What's the general shape you guys use?

Like, all i always do is a cross-shape with firepits in the center, but flingos get troublesome to place...

Thanks so much for the help, you guys! :D

23 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

There are many effective early game patterns.

Something I like to do when I start at day 1 (SP or MP) is to get a Saddle, collect enough Light Bulbs underground (About 80 should be enough, more than 80 would spoil before usage) & scout the whole overground map with a Beefalo and trying to organize the Marble Sculptures. While scouting you can collect Seeds, Berries or Butterfly Wings to keep your hunger above 0. The scouted map can be shared with other players (if you or others manage to organize 1x Papyrus + 1x Feather Pencil).

If you want to scout Underground, I'd recommend to pick Woodie because he almost doesn't need any Hunger (With 100 Log Meter he would need more than 6 days to starve; in case of starving: Gnaw Rocks!) and can see anything in his Werebeaver form while also outrunning Shadow Creatures. It might take a total of 60-80 Minutes to scout the whole underground.

42 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

No need to kill Goose/Goose (unless you need the feathers), just wait for the next Frog Rain and lure them to any Goose/Goose nearby. They'll get rid of Goose/Goose and all the Moslings(/Goslings) while also providing at least 1 stack of Frog Legs.

45 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

- Lastly, how do i make large, tidy bases? What's the general shape you guys use?

Ice Box (Ingredients) with 6x Crock Pot around it + another Ice Box (Non-Ingredients) near the Campfire. About Ice Flingo: An Ice Staff or Luxury Fan will help you to get rid of any incoming fire. The base won't burn down if there's nobody near the base during summer (because Wildfires only start near players), rain also prevents Wildfires and can be probably summoned with a Telelocator Staff (didn't try yet) or a Trapped Mosling (only during spring?) which couldn't fly away because it was frozen between Spring and Summer (as much as I know...). Save the Ice Flingos for your Farm or to burn & freeze Bee Boxes (easy honey) unless you managed to get enough gears from Tumbleweed, Clockworks or Ruins or try to make a personal base near the ruins (only experienced players will reach you there).

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

How do i secure gears in a gearless world?

And how does that suspicious marble thingamajig work? Do i still need to complete it for it to spawn something?

Most obvious way because of certainty is from Ruins Broken Clockworks (if you have Caves enabled).

Completing the Suspicious Marble Sculptures and mining them on Full Moon with Pickaxe spawns you some fresh Clockworks (even if you had 0 on surface from WorldGen to begin with, as you pointed in your post) plus corresponding Chess Pieces Sketches, and Marble. You can mine said completed Sculptures on New Moon, directly spawning Shadow Pieces but without further gears gain, your choice in the end.

Then there are the RNG-dependent ways: from Tumbleweeds (~1% chance) and sleeping under fully decorated Winter's Feast Tree each 4 days (probably better chances compared to tumbleweed ones, although don't actually know the hard number).

PS: regarding -

3 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

There isn't one-and-only way or type; in general must be efficient, functional with logical placements and, you know... tidy.

Nice looking and soothing to look-at.

Here are some examples - Showcase for tidy bases [2]

41 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Ways to get Gears in DST:

• Clockworks: Appear randomly in the world, can also be spawned with the Suspicious Marbles only once during full moon
  • Tumbleweed: Picking about 23 Tumbleweeds has a 50% chance to grant at least 1x Gears
  • Ruins: Killing Damaged Clockworks grants Gears with 100% chance; hammering Broken Clockworks grants Gears with 25% chance
48 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

And how does that suspicious marble thingamajig work? Do i still need to complete it for it to spawn something?

Find a Suspicious Marble and the corresponding Marble Sculpture to get a repaired version of the sculpture. If you mine it in the night during

1. Full Moon (Recommended for Gears): It will spawn the corresponding Clockwork and the Sketch for the Potter's Wheel
  2. New Moon: It will spawn the corresponding Shadow Piece and the Sketch for the Potter's Wheel; the Shadow Piece will spawn other Shadow Pieces if there are more repaired Marble Sculptures or Rook/Knight/Bishop Figures nearby

(1) can be only done with the repaired Marble Sculptures while (2) can be done with Marble Sculptures or Potter's Wheel Figures.

8 hours ago, Mahoood said:

1- How do Clothing insulation work in all seasons? I heard people using beefalo hat and hibernation vest in summer?

Wiki says it here: Overheating and Freezing. That's exactly what I did when fresh started DST. I thought that Beefalo Hat would insulate the coolness of Thermal Stone in Summer. But it actually doesn't.

It isn't practical to wear them when the ambiental temperature is going up, to the point of overheating. Instead you can use Eyebrella and Floral Shirt. They are the summer equivalent of Beefalo Hat + Hibernation Vest/Puffy Vest.

Basically they make you keep your body temperature from getting to the ambiental temperature. They just slow down the process.

A small example: If you can get a hot Thermal Stone (Orange color) to stay hot for like 2-4 minutes, that time is going to be longer, with more insulation you have. Wearing both Beefalo Hat and Puffy Vest in winter, leaving the heat source with a orange Thermal Stone will keep you warm (not freezing) for approximately a whole day.

2- Was the Fashion melon patched? I remember it used to set your body temperature at certain degrees and work all seasons but someone told me it doesn’t anymore? (I rarely use fashion melon but I used it like that once before)

I didn't know about that. I can't help you here. I never really used it. Seems more time consuming to craft than Ice Cube. Anyway staying Summer at the surface is not a good idea, since thing can go on fire. Unless you are in the Oasis, but there you won't need the Melon anyway.

3-How to max insulation in summer and winter with clothes+thermal stone (And the difference between DS and DST)?

Max insulation on winter is Beefalo Hat + Hibernation Vest/Puffy Vest. On summer it's Eyebrella/Ice Cube + Floral Shirt. To which you add the fully charged Thermal Stone.

The bigger difference I would say is that in caves you won't get overheated. Meaning that Summer can be an "All Cave Season". It also won't rain during summer in the underground.

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Forgot the item order in which you might want them to happen.

The first thing you need a base location. I would make it so we are close to the swamp, do gather reed during spring (This can be ignored if you have a Wickerbottom and a Reed Trap Set Piece), close to a cave, relatively close to the Pig King (aka Glommer Statue) and maybe close to wormholes that can be used as shortcuts. Based on these you can triangulate the best location so you can reach those things in the least amount of time.

Mainly I started the world with 2 players, find a ocean shore/water/map border and split up with my friend, so we both cover half the map's border. We only need the border so we can decide where to start making the base.

If someone found Deciduous Biome, he has to find a worm hole and see where it goes so maybe we can use it as a shortcut (instead of triangulating the Deciduous Biome, just use the Worm Hole). The same goes with the Swamp Biome. Also I like to fence (Stone Wall - Space - Stone Wall - Space etc) the Desert Biome (DF's Desert), so we can keep Tumble Weeds in one biome and keep farming them instead of them running all around the map.

In the mean time we had to find Chester, locate Glommer Statue, gather 40 petals (for Booster Shots, since early games are full of deaths), 40 grass, twigs, flint rocks, 20 logs, some reeds (for whoever made it to the swamp) for bird cage, gears, some charcoal and all the food you find.

We usually met again in day 6, ready for incoming hound attacks. Get the base location determined and then start with the fire pit and the kitchen. Ice Box and Crock Pots, Bird Cage. Someone has to supply the base with Monster Meat (usually the fighter).

After the base is giving a steady supply of food, meaning you can go explore some more, you can go and get Berry Bushes, Grass Tufts and Twiggy Saplings to start your private garden.

And from here on you can go with whatever you want: Drying Racks, Chest (I would wait until at least 1 year passed, items can still lay on the ground just fine), set a Tooth Trap field, farm more resources etc.

If you don't have any Feathers from Mooses try to get some. If you already have then don't bother hunting them. Wait a Frog Rain if you want some Meat, Feathers and Frog Legs. Otherwise, use your time with anything else: tidying the base, crafting, building, exploring etc. Fighting not really recommended since weapons get wet and slip from your hand slot. Unless you have Eyebrella or Rain Coat.

I went with the Mega Base idea from this post. Basically your base will be divided in 9 squares. I use one as kitchen, one as a storage room full of chests, one is the Drying Racks (x30), the middle used to be the garden, with Grass, Berries and Twigs, 3 squares are used to make the Grass Gekko Farm, one is for the pen of our tamed Beefalo, one is with Rabbit Hutches to farm Silk and Spider Glands, and one is empty, filled with random event stuff.

The kitches is something like this (if you want to know how to build it let me know):

Spoiler

Untitled2.png

1. Ready to eat food + seeds

2. Ingredients to making food

3. Full Ice

If you didn't find any Chess Pieces you can go underground. You can find Broken Clockworks.

If you don't find any in caves, your only chance is with Tumble Weeds, tho they have a low drop rate.

how does that suspicious marble thingamajig work?

You have to carry the Suspicious Marble to Marble Sculptures. That will get you the needed Gears for sure. They always spawn.

Updated Original Post!

21 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Oops sorry, i meant to say "caveless" xD especially on those worlds without clockwork setpieces. 

Then the only way to get Gears is with Suspicious Marble+Marble Sculptures or Graveyards or Tumbleweeds.

Archived