Tactics for defeating the Aporkalypse

I'm looking for reasonable advice on how to survive the Aporkalypse,

To be clear, I'm looking for advice on how to survive. I know how the calendar works, but I'm more interested in trying to LIVE after the world ends and descends into darkness/piglessness, even if its not sustainable forever (I ultimately want to challenge myself by trying to survive to a certain date and then beating that the next time I play with a different strategy)

I have 60 days to prepare, and I just don't know what to prioritize to survive those endless bat attacks. I know I can just run from the Herald, but the constant bats are an issue as its not like I can use tooth traps or have enough bee's to make bee mines. So far the closest I could think of is maybe a tier 3 carnivorous plant forest, where I leave all sorts of meat out in a field and lure them out there to evolve into a kind of natural defense against bats if I run in and out of it.

Any tips, advice, or anything would be appreciated. If you've done this yourself and find that its simply "impossible" to survive without resetting the clock, please let me know as well.

I would prefer advice that is about fortifications, attacking, and defense. I'm aware I could just get the overcharged robot dude, a walking cane, and run like the wind, but I'd prefer something more brutal.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!! :)

These are the things that have been suggested so far to me:

- The new character Warbucks gets sanity from the amount of Oinks he gets. This could be used to counter issues with sanity in never ending darkness.

- Flytraps (or whatever they are called) make good stationary defenses once they level up.

- Webber has a lot of disadvantages, but since he can eat Monster Meat without any negative effects, he could be useful for getting food once all there is left is Monster Meat (not to mention a nice spider haven might help survive some bats, but maybe not)

- Multiple bases and defensive areas. If the Herald wrecks something, you can just move to another area you have set up. One base would be a poor choice.

7 hours ago, BadlyBurned said:

I'm looking for reasonable advice on how to survive the Aporkalypse,

To be clear, I'm looking for advice on how to survive. I know how the calendar works, but I'm more interested in trying to LIVE after the world ends and descends into darkness/piglessness, even if its not sustainable forever (I ultimately want to challenge myself by trying to survive to a certain date and then beating that the next time I play with a different strategy)

I have 60 days to prepare, and I just don't know what to prioritize to survive those endless bat attacks. I know I can just run from the Herald, but the constant bats are an issue as its not like I can use tooth traps or have enough bee's to make bee mines. So far the closest I could think of is maybe a tier 3 carnivorous plant forest, where I leave all sorts of meat out in a field and lure them out there to evolve into a kind of natural defense against bats if I run in and out of it.

Any tips, advice, or anything would be appreciated. If you've done this yourself and find that its simply "impossible" to survive without resetting the clock, please let me know as well.

I would prefer advice that is about fortifications, attacking, and defense. I'm aware I could just get the overcharged robot dude, a walking cane, and run like the wind, but I'd prefer something more brutal.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!! :)

These are the things that have been suggested so far to me:

- The new character Warbucks gets sanity from the amount of Oinks he gets. This could be used to counter issues with sanity in never ending darkness.

- Flytraps (or whatever they are called) make good stationary defenses once they level up.

- Webber has a lot of disadvantages, but since he can eat Monster Meat without any negative effects, he could be useful for getting food once all there is left is Monster Meat (not to mention a nice spider haven might help survive some bats, but maybe not)

- Multiple bases and defensive areas. If the Herald wrecks something, you can just move to another area you have set up. One base would be a poor choice.

Well during the Aporkalypse elder mandrakes or whatever there called can be befriended and become neutral to the player so they might make a good defense 

you could also keep building and destroying pig guard houses for halberds and pig guards to defend you not sure if they only use torches 

if you use a house rarely enter cause I think you know its not good if the herald spawns in your house

6 hours ago, Baduin said:

if you want hardmode why are you asking for tips????  :)

After playing, its very obvious I'll need a lot of prep to survive even a little bit. I'm lost in this game, I had the original DS down to a point where it was boring to keep going. I really don't think that will happen with this game, even with a really good strat I'm pretty sure its not sustainable to survive the Aporkalyse for any long length of time.

13 hours ago, Computer-7 said:

Well during the Aporkalypse elder mandrakes or whatever there called can be befriended and become neutral to the player so they might make a good defense 

you could also keep building and destroying pig guard houses for halberds and pig guards to defend you not sure if they only use torches 

if you use a house rarely enter cause I think you know its not good if the herald spawns in your house

All good points. Esp the pig guards, if they keep their weapon out, that would be real helpful, but pigs seem to really dislike darkness so I wouldn't be surprised if they use torches.

Get a lot of moleworms for never ending meat supplies  and put a lot of drying racks outside  preferably not close to each other so they won't get burned by the herald. 

Bring coffee from SW to avoid constant waves of monsters 

Stay away from the mants as they are just as fast as you with a walking cane and will chase you forever 

Stealing a bunch of things from pig farms can actually bring a guard outside during the aporkalypse so you can use that to your advantage, although he will be mad at you. 

Unless you play as WX put lighting rods on every iron biome because thunder birds are crazy 

Archived