Items less used in the game

The Hibearnation Vest is absolutely wonderful with a Beefalo Hat. Stacking insulation is fun. It's just...not as useful, unless you're doing like, a really specific small-number-of-items trip, or specifically going to fight a weak enemy that doesn't require much equipment without doing much else on the trip...?
Managing inventory without a backpack still leaves you with 8 less slots. The backpack isn't just a traveling equipment container; it also boosts gathering trips majorly for those of us who do manage their inventory. A bit into the game when I have good equipment that I can get by more easily with, I typically only carry a couple 'supply' items specific to the task or season.

I like the idea of getting a nerfed to hell version of the backpack as the 'default', low requirements option, and raising the requirements of the current standard, neutral Backpack, in exchange for getting a dedicated slot for it and a few other options with differing strengths. The backpack is already central enough to deserve its own slot, but that would help flesh it out.

...also, could we get a Winter-themed skin for the Insulated Pack?

With the spirited discussion above into mind let us add the Puffy Vest, Breezy Vest, Summer Frest and Floral Shirt into the list...

...though i use the lattermost one often due to its sanity gain (no sanity drain at night on Wendy), its still a very niche item...

I always use the Hibearnation Vest due to the lessened hunger drain and insulation, but otherwise a Belt of Hunger + Thermal stone trumps it. But since i've got a slow machine which can't run caves, it's my go-to.

Also, there's Froggle Bunwiches, Pumpkin Cookies (possibly also Taffy thanks to easily-found Mushroom Caps and, later on, Sanity Farms), One-Man Bands, Fire Darts, the Tail o' Three Cats, Gunpowder (idk, i just rarely see it nowadays), and Water Balloons.

10 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Taffy

...so I've been using the strat of playing Wendy and basing between hordes of Spiders and the Killer Bee biome a lot lately, to get stacks upon stacks of food to feed to public servers.
I almost made Taffy in one session, but stopped because I legit haven't made it in so long that I forgot what it even did.

10 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Pumpkin Cookies (possibly also Taffy thanks to easily-found Mushroom Caps

4x Honey + 1x Non-Meat-Filler (Honey/Twigs/Ice/Fruits/etc.) restores 34,375 Hunger + 15 Sanity without any penalties and needs a total of 40 days to turn into rot (80 days if stored in Ice Box). It's pretty easy to obtain and you can keep it for the whole year.

Pumpkin Cookies are truly useless due to the existence of Taffy because: 1x Taffy + 1x Cooked Pumpkin > 1x Pumpkin Cookes + 1x Honey

On 12/23/2018 at 10:53 PM, Tapirus said:

As you know, there's some items less "popular" than others while we explore and play in the Constant. So, this thread is talk about those little things (and maybe look for a way to fix theirs current status).

I'll start with a example: Piggyback. 

While add 12 slots sounds great, the movement penalty and cost of production makes Piggyback less "popular" than the Backpack and Krampus Sack basically has replaced him. 

¿Which items do you think are the least used?

Piggy back is fire prof, a good thing to storage turf and flamables inside without worrying about the cost like DF chest.

They are also smaller and deliveriable instead of stay in one place like chest, perfect for storage important items

Opal Gem

The fire staff is very situational and almost never has to be used. A torch is just two twigs and two grass, and it can solve any problem the fire staff can (albeit not from a range). Plus, why would you even be setting an enemy on fire anyways? When would you ever want to burn loot? In fact, most exploits that involved the staff were patched years ago. 
FIRE DARTS fall into the exact same category as the fire staff, except this time they are truly useless. You can only catch mobs on fire, unlike the fire staff, which can catch anything on fire. And again, why would you burn an enemy and have the loot burn to smithereens?

Moon Rock Walls. Everyone and their mothers know that DST's walls are not used for defense. They are used for caging in creatures, keeping Lavae out during your Dragonfly Battle, decorations, and fire farms (r.i.p. Fire Farms in DST 2014-2014). Well, then, why would you use literal moon rocks to make any of those things? Stone walls work just fine for everything the moon rock wall can do, and you can easily obtain stone, unlike moon rock.

I rarely if ever use scaled flooring for its actual use (which is to dull the spreading of fires, if you didn't know). I mean it looks very nice and it's a wonderful decor item, especially to show off your battle, but in actual use, this thing is a load of hot garbage. First of all, the turf in no way prevents heat from summer burning the structures and items on top of it, and in no way prevents the burning of items atop it by random griefers. It simply slows the fire inbetween the structures/items, which, doesn't really work half the time, and isn't really that useful. And it, you know, comes from a boss. Which is very hard to kill early-game if you make one little slip up. (HOW TO ACTUALLY USE SCALED FLOORING FOR GOOD: CRAFT SCALED FLOORING AND USE A DECONSTRUCTION STAFF ON THEM, TURN 1 SCALES INTO 5 SCALES).

When is the last time you cooked Stuffed Eggplant? I mean seriously, when was the last time? If you ever cooked it, maybe by accident when trying to make meatballs or something, you basically screwed yourself over. Braised eggplant is great for early game hp. 20 health, easy to mass produce early on, and can be munched on during fights with it's quick eating animation. And stuffed Eggplant? 3 health. 37.5 hunger. 5 sanity. The most mediocre of mediocre stats. You lose 17 health you could have gotten by cooking this dish instead of just eating the eggplant cooked. Cooked Eggplant can be substituted for Pierogi in the Dragonfly fight if you're cautious and kite it, so why would you waste it on this mediocre dish?

5 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Piggy back is fire prof, a good thing to storage turf and flamables inside without worrying about the cost like DF chest.

The Piggyback is waterproof, unlike the Backpack. Yet, still being less popular.

1. What was the last time you cooked Stuffed Eggplant or Unagi? Their ingredients take too much effort/time to get and provide little to no benefits.

Monster Lasagna, which could've been useful as a hunger recipe for Webber, also sucks.

2. Farming sucks if you're not Wickerbottom and anything that is not a Dragon Fruit is bad and has some mediocre use or no uses at all.

3. Thermometer/Rain-o-meter. These structures should add a meter to the player's UI to be worth crafting. Maybe they shouldn't have been constructions at all in the first place.

4. Maps/small signs.

Let's make a way to share your map data and make handy little signs to show what is stored in chests. Let's also make it use an additional ingredient(Feather Pencil, which has ingredients on its own) that forces you to go extremely out of your way to get.

Basically not crafted, unless you're mass-farming birds/building a megabase.

5. Piggyback - in a game in which you're moving at a snail's pace, you're asking players to give up movespeed for a few additional slots? I'd rather farm Krampus and hope for 1% Krampus Sack than craft this thing.

23 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

1. What was the last time you cooked Stuffed Eggplant or Unagi? Their ingredients take too much effort/time to get and provide little to no benefits.

Monster Lasagna, which could've been useful as a hunger recipe for Webber, also sucks.

2. Farming sucks if you're not Wickerbottom and anything that is not a Dragon Fruit is bad and has some mediocre use or no uses at all.

3. Thermometer/Rain-o-meter. These structures should add a meter to the player's UI to be worth crafting. Maybe they shouldn't have been constructions at all in the first place.

4. Maps/small signs.

Let's make a way to share your map data and make handy little signs to show what is stored in chests. Let's also make it use an additional ingredient(Feather Pencil, which has ingredients on its own) that forces you to go extremely out of your way to get.

Basically not crafted, unless you're mass-farming birds/building a megabase.

5. Piggyback - in a game in which you're moving at a snail's pace, you're asking players to give up movespeed for a few additional slots? I'd rather farm Krampus and hope for 1% Krampus Sack than craft this thing.

1. The ingredients for Unagi are right next to your base (if you're settling near the ruins), and it's a nice way to restore your Health, Hunger & Sanity. Monster Lasagna is a recipe which prevents players from using more than 1x Monster Meat in their Recipes, making normal Meat more useful (No Meaty Stew with 4x Monster Meat but with 1x Monster Meat, 1x Meat, 2x Morsels).
  2. Agree with that one: Crops don't grow during Winter and need an Ice Flingomatic during Summer and only grant 0.5x Seeds of that Fruit + 0.5x Any other Seeds OR 1x Filler; Berry Bushes & Rabbit Hutches are way better than Farms.
  3. Thermometer is useless because you can mostly predict the temperature (it's not hard to tell if it's summer or winter); Rain-o-meter on the other hand can be useful during Spring or in the caves during Winter/Spring. I'd like to combine both structures into a single Weather Station but there are already skins for both structures
  4. Feather Pencils might be a bit hard to craft (Suggestion: Maybe you should get a total of 3 Pencils instead of 1 when crafting these?) but Mini Signs are useful to mark the contents of a chest or to distinguish your Bundling Wraps laying on the ground (Especially as Wes)
  5. The Piggyback is a mobile Scaled Chest: Immune against Fire & a total of 12 Slots. I like to use it to store Manure or Fuel but I use it only in Singleplayer cause there are too many griefers in Multiplayer, making a whole chest disappear. This bag looks useless because the Backpack is already OP.

Let us also add Pretty Parasols and Garlands (though these are made often by beginners to recover Sanity, i still count them as rarely ever used), Flower Salads, Spicy Chili (though i have my doubts regarding this particularly, feel free to contradict!), Cooked Mandrakes and Mandrake Soups to the list.

Is it just me, or would DIO love this thread?

4 hours ago, Viktor234 said:
  1. The ingredients for Unagi are right next to your base (if you're settling near the ruins), and it's a nice way to restore your Health, Hunger & Sanity. Monster Lasagna is a recipe which prevents players from using more than 1x Monster Meat in their Recipes, making normal Meat more useful (No Meaty Stew with 4x Monster Meat but with 1x Monster Meat, 1x Meat, 2x Morsels).

Alright, seems like I was wrong about Unagi... Except it's still a really weak food, and Lichen+Eel give almost the same amount of Health/Hunger on their own (except your Sanity isn't lowered, but it doesn't matter, because if you're basing in the Ruins you already should have a Tam o' Shanter, which completely negates cave/darkness Sanity drain).

image.png.33ff5bfffa3e5c564e9e573919e19bc0.png

Regarding Monster Meat... It still sucks to eat it as any other character, but Webber could have some use out of it. It sucks even in the Hunger restoration department, so it's useless (unless it's used for pet crafting).

4 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

5. The Piggyback is a mobile Scaled Chest: Immune against Fire & a total of 12 Slots. I like to use it to store Manure or Fuel but I use it only in Singleplayer cause there are too many griefers in Multiplayer, making a whole chest disappear. This bag looks useless because the Backpack is already OP.

It would be used more widely if, for example, as long as it has 6 slots filled it doesn't slow you down, but with each slot over 6 it slows you down more and more until it reaches 10-15% (to compensate for the fact that it now has no penalty when having less slots filled up we could increase the slow while all slots are filled).

Or something, dunno. Flat speed decrease sucks, nobody likes to run slowly. It's bad for kiting and just overall. I could consider it in 1 single case: If I'm playing as Wolfgang and already have a Walking Cane.

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Let us also add Pretty Parasols and Garlands (though these are made often by beginners to recover Sanity, i still count them as rarely ever used), Flower Salads, Spicy Chili (though i have my doubts regarding this particularly, feel free to contradict!), Cooked Mandrakes and Mandrake Soups to the list.

Is it just me, or would DIO love this thread?

Eh, I use Pretty Parasols sometimes when I'm joining a server during Spring/start of the Summer (Straw Hat + Pretty Parasol under a tree grant full waterproofness/slow down overheating significantly. Also, isn't Pretty Parasol, like, the only handslot item to grant Sanity regen?). Garlands? Most of the time when I play as Wicker in early game (if I was the one who found the graveyards and don't feel like fighting shadows every 2 minutes).

Spicy Chili is alright when you join a server with that one Wilson who only managed to build a Crockpot and a Science Machine by Winter and ragequitted as soon as you joined. A little bit of health restoration and warming you up for a moment can be helpful (you could build an armor, get a spear, cook 2 Spicy Chilis and rush Walruses).

I guess Mandrake Soups are viable if you're on day 2000+ and were killing Klaus every single year.

18 hours ago, PanAzej said:

Regarding Monster Meat... It still sucks to eat it as any other character, but Webber could have some use out of it. It sucks even in the Hunger restoration department, so it's useless (unless it's used for pet crafting).

Thanks to Monster Lasagna, there are 3 Recipes requiring more than 1x Meat which can't be cooked only with Monster Meat without having a 100% chance to get the Recipe you want to have.

• Recipe (Health/Hunger/Sanity; Days till spoilage): Ingredients

Without Monster Lasagna:

• Beacon & Eggs (+20/+75/+5; 20 Days): 2x Monster Meat + 2x Egg
  • Honey Ham (+30/+75/+5; 15 Days): 2x Monster Meat + 1x Honey + 1x Filler (Filler can't be Twigs)
  • Meaty Stew (+12/+150/+5; 10 Days): 3x Monster Meat + 1x Filler (Filler can't be Twigs)

With Monster Lasagna:

• Beacon & Eggs (+20/+75/+5; 20 Days):
    • 2x Monster Meat + 2x Egg (50% chance of producing Monster Lasagna => 50% chance to loose 2x Monster Meat + 1x Egg)
    • 2x Monster Meat + 1x Tallbird Egg + 1x Twigs
    • 1x Monster Meat + 1x Morsel + 2x Egg
  • Honey Ham (+30/+75/+5; 15 Days):
    • 2x Monster Meat + 1x Honey + 1x Filler => Turns into Monster Lasagna
    • 1x Monster Meat + 1x Meat + 1x Honey + 1x Filler
    • 1x Monster Meat + 2x Morsel + 1x Honey
  • Meaty Stew (+12/+150/+5; 10 Days):
    • 3x Monster Meat + 1x Filler => Turns into Monster Lasagna
    • 1x Monster Meat + 2x Meat + 1x Filler
    • 1x Monster Meat + 1x Meat + 2x Morsels
  • Meatballs (+3/+62.5/+5; 10 Days):
    • 1x Monster Meat + 3x Egg (The only recipe besides Monster Lasagna which can be made with 4x Monster Meat and 100% chance)
  • Monster Lasagna (-20/+37.5/-20; 10 Days):
    • 2x Monster Meat + 2x Filler (Filler can't be Twigs)

Monster Lasagna isn't supposed to be useful, it has mostly the same level as Wet Goop and it's more like to prevent players from using only Monster Meat in their Crockpot and farming Monster Meat as Wendy or Webber isn't hard at all.

There's no need to fix the current status of Monster Lasagna.

34 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Monster Lasagna isn't supposed to be useful, it has mostly the same level as Wet Goop and it's more like to prevent players from using only Monster Meat in their Crockpot and farming Monster Meat as Wendy or Webber isn't hard at all.

There's no need to fix the current status of Monster Lasagna.

I mean, giving it about +10 or +12.5 (to make it flat +50) more hunger restoration wouldn't hurt.

Nobody is going to eat it anyways, with one exception - it can be eaten with no downsides by Webber. This is basically the only exclusive recipe which seems like it would be "made just for him", but it sucks even then.

You are wasting other resources if you used anything more than 2 Monster Meat.

Monster Lasagna: 37.5 Hunger

2x Monster Meat: 37.5 Hunger

Spoilage time also doesn't get upgraded, since cooked Monster Meat lasts longer than the Lasagna.

I'm not saying that Monster Meat should've been more useful, it's just that Monster Lasagna is pure garbage even in that one single case it could've been useful.

2 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

A Monster Loaf dish made with 3+ MM would be neat for Webber. Hunger restoration, no other benefit, strong downsides for other characters.

Considering durians count as monster food and they're not specially required for any dish, I think it would be a great opportunity to require them for this recipe in specific, with regards to how ridiculously easy it is to obtain mass quantities of monster meat via spider hunting. 

Eh, I was thinking of it mostly as a solution to the 'Monster Lasagna with any more than 2 MM is purely a waste even as Webber', thing.
Basically a way of condensing all that cooked/uncooked MM into less space, like a weaker Meaty Stew. Maybe 100 Hunger.

I would love they made map mode where is like you go game you have map but... the map is empty you only see on map of the circle you see like always but when you run trough place it wont keep be revealed. And compas in that place would be really useful and the map table, when you stand next the map table it reveals you map where you want run if you away from it it wont reveal your map and when you make compas the compas is showing you like on the corners of the map witch side is base if you made the map table only then it shows.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

With the spirited discussion above into mind let us add the Puffy Vest, Breezy Vest, Summer Frest and Floral Shirt into the list...

...though i use the lattermost one often due to its sanity gain (no sanity drain at night on Wendy), its still a very niche item...

The Floral Shirt alone isn't enough to completely prevent sanity from draining at night whilst playing as Wendy: The default sanity drain from night is -5/min, Wendy's 0.75x sanity drain modifier reduces this to -3.75/min, and the Floral Shirt provides a sanity gain of +3.33/min, so Wendy will still have a sanity drain of -0.42/min at night with a Floral Shirt equipped. The reason the sanity badge won't display a down arrow is because the sanity drain has to be greater than -1.2/min in order for a down arrow to be shown.

Archived