Items to take for a ruins run (or general combat ''expeditions'')

21 hours ago, metallichydra said:
  • you probably have to fertilize the plants

turn on the sprinkler, and keep it fueled. it dont have much fuel, so you have to be near the neetles until they are ready to be picked

as far as i know, you need 24 neetles to get through a lush season without sneezing. this applies only if you make neete rolls (3 neetles and 1 stick, i think)

nettles don't need to be fertilized.. just by planting them in a deep jungle biome under constant rain is gonna make them grow

u also don't need gears for a sprinkler.. only 6 ice, 2 alloy and the blue gem

On 12/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, metallichydra said:
  • locate important biomes

this is: the pig city, the lakes, the place where the deep rainforest touch the lake and the iron biome

when you find the pig city, grab some tea pods for your future wood farm. if you manege to get some oincs, check the shops for useful stuff:

1. cloth
  2. pine cones
  3. berriebushes
  4. backpack (in case you want some ekstra space before you get a science machine)
  5. shovel (in case you want some grass tufts, saplings or neetle plants before you get a science machine)
  6. pickaxe/flint (in case you got no flint, or found no caves)
  • find caves or go to caves you found earlier

(you can do this step before locating important biomes)

get some gold

• in case you dont have enough gold for: science machine, alchemy engine and lightning rod: look for more caves or steal some berries and sell to pigs so you can buy the needed gold, or chisel statues
  • find a good base location

usually near the point where lake touch deep rainforest (if there's a cave nearby, its probably the best spot for a base (inside the cave))

• make the basic structures:

science machine*, lightning rod*, fire pit*, drying racks, crockpots
(important structures is marked with an *, others is optional)

• plant your stuff

plant all your tea pods, pinecones, claw palm tree saplings, grass tufts and saplings

remember to fertilize the bushes. you should plant your grass tufts on non-civilized turf to get tall grass, which is prefered since it requires no fertilization and yields 2 grass if cut with shears

• kill some flytraps
  • put as many flytrap stalks as you want on the drying racks, but have atleast 1 left

dont kill all flytraps

• get 6 tuber for each flytrap stalk left

use this and the remaining flytrap stalks to make bug b' gone

• get some vines, atleast 3
  • get some cork
  • make pith hat
  • make alchemy engine (might have to do this earlier

get wood and rocks if you need

• get some wood, and make log suits, you'll need some of these
  • get some cork
  • make a cork boat
  • make a spear
  • go to the lake and place your boat in it
  • grab 8 reeds, and all flower lily's (the pink flowers, whatever they're called)

if a platapine spawns, kill it, it seem like you can stunlock it, but dont use your fists, use spear.

by now, you should have atleast 4 platapine quills, if not, find another lake and grab all lily flowers

• kill a hippotatomoose

do this on land

• make bird whistle
  • go somewhere a little far from your base
  • use it, and stand completely still
  • let the bird grab you

you should now be on the roc's island

• get ro bin, mine the eggs, find the 2 royal scepters
  • find the sinkhole and get back to your own island
  • find the pig ruin

bring bug b' gone, pith hat and log suits, it'll probably be humid season by now

• once you have located the pig ruins, go through them and get to the second island
  • when you arrive on the second island, locate the pig city
  • trade the scepters with the queen, or just 1 if you wanna keep 1
  • ´get the (priority):
  1. key to the city
  2. executive hammer
  3. can of silly string
  • you can get all 3 if you find the jeweled truffle in the ruins and chisel it
  • now you should head back to your base. (but if you got inventory space, and got the executive hammer, you can hammer down some pig houses and precraft some city structures)
  • back at your base, you can now begin to build your pig city
  • build your shops close to your base

if you want guards for protection, build the watchtowers a little far away, since they can do massive damage to both you and your base

• once you've got enough pig houses, you can bein killing the pigs for meat and pig skin, and since there's no guards, there's no risk: pig skin for helmets (or more houses) and meat (food).

pigs with additional drops: the worker pigs drop hammers: you can use these as weapons, hammer stuff, pans

so now you've got a food source.

my favorite way of killing the pigs is to pick some manure and kill the pig who gives me an oinc for picking up the manure. they will be so close they wont have time to flee before they die.

by now you got a food source and a source of pig skin (armor).

by now there's some optional things to do:

• get gems (1 red and 1 blue) (for neetle farm)
  • expand your tree farm (tea trees, you'll want a lot of these for lush season, unless you get the gems and make a neetle farm
  • farm oincs
  • get a horkiporkitator

getting the gems:

Reveal hidden contents

now, if you want a neetle farm, i hope you made your base near the place where the lake and deep rainforest touch each other, as this is the only place the neetlefarm can be

if you already have the gems, skip the part on how to get gems

here's how to get gems:

Reveal hidden contents
  • mine stalagmites (luck-based)
  • blow up suspicios cracks, there might be a hidden room behind, which could contain red or blue gems
  • roc's nest (but you probably already did this)
  • build skyworthy and get the gems from vanilla, RoG or shipwrecked

now, build a smelter

get some alloys (3 iron + smelter) and some ice (i think you also need gears, which are bought in the odditys shop)

now you can build a sprinkler

place it in the deep rainforest near the lake.

go find some neetles, dig them, and plant them near the sprinkler

you probably have to fertilize the plants

turn on the sprinkler, and keep it fueled. it dont have much fuel, so you have to be near the neetles until they are ready to be picked

as far as i know, you need 24 neetles to get through a lush season without sneezing. this applies only if you make neete rolls (3 neetles and 1 stick, i think)

Still in earlier days on my playthrough but im using this as a template of sorts. Ill update back.

@metallichydra @Hx380

So this is a small update so far. Basically things are disorganized but im trying to focus on getting a playstyle down more than the organizization right now. I got about 20 grass and 20 saplings along with 25 seed pods ill plant when im done posting. So i planted right next to the rainforest/lake part which happens to be pretty close to pig city. I ended up with some good starting gold. Had to buy 2 pieces and im about to put down a ligntning rod. Stole some berry bushes and also found some in the general store along with a pinecone planted slightly out of picture. Problem is there are flystalks right near my base. Im not sure if im too close or not. I can upload bigger pictures of my map as well. Just wanted some feedback.

1.PNG

2.PNG

looks great, not far from the spot where lake and deep jungle touch, with access to pig city.

you could transport a single flytrap to a place where you want your flytraps to be, and kill the rest.

then use the flytrap stalks to craft bug b' gone and dry them to get stalking sticks.

hope there's not many plants in that jungle (those annoying plants that block placement of stuff)

in my world, i where at day 52

had just found the aporkalypse ruin nr. 1, and wa on the 5th island

it was humid season, i had 8 days left before the aporkalypse would hit, had to find that clock.

had prepared, where even so lucky that the aporkalypse ruin in gas rainforest was so close to the edge, that i didnt need gas mask.

but

humid season

isnt good for exploration

bats arrive, beetles ambush me, i was insane, so was chased by terrorbeak too. FPS drops to 1 - 5.
health was getting low, had only weevole armor left

prepare to use life-giving amulet! (when revived, mobs around you fall asleep)
i died, they fell asleep
there where many flytraps around me, many beetles, and i think some bats too. no more shadow creatures since i was sane now.

but

flytraps immidiatly wake up (didnt have a chance to flee) and hit me

and i die :(

i hate how unfair hamlet can be.

i have to remember this: never ever explore in any other season than temperate

I guess cave base incoming. Rainforest and water. Lets hope i dont die to nonsense this time. And ill put crock pot a little higher priority for Pierogi. Whats a good source of meat for meatballs and pierogi? I know hippos. But anything else thats easy to kite?

3.PNG

10 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Whats a good amount of saplings, grass, pods to get? I feel like too many is wasting time. And im struggling understanding why to get grass tufts when there are hoards of grass that i can farm stacks with sheers.

if i said grass tufts, it wasnt intended

you shouldnt get grass tufts, there's so much grass around there

25 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

But anything else thats easy to kite?

once you get the key to the city, you can build lots of pig houses near your base, and kill them for their meat and pig skin.

and you dont get naughtiness for killing civilized pigs :D (have killed 15 pigs a day, 4 days in a row, no krampus, not even the sound)

the pigs dont need to be kited, and there's no risk in killing them (except if you made some watchtowers nearby)

and its meat/big meat/ regular meat

37 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Dung beetles, but don’t go nuts on themor you’ll run out. Bats should be your main source of meat once you get a foothold.

That's actually very wrong to say that, it should be the opposite.

They respawn very frequently(every day or so) and you should kill them whenever you see one. It's free loot, but never dig the big piles or then they'll not respawn.

34 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Whats a good amount of saplings, grass, pods to get? I feel like too many is wasting time. And im struggling understanding why to get grass tufts when there are hoards of grass that i can farm stacks with sheers.

Be careful as big gathering of tall grass will spawn rabid beetles at dusk. Even artificially created ones

17 minutes ago, orian34 said:

They respawn very frequently(every day or so) and you should kill them whenever you see one. It's free loot, but never dig the big piles or then they'll not respawn.

ok, my bad. I’d heard that the pile gets depleted a bit every time a new beetle spawns, but maybe it’s every time the beetle makes a new ball? The BFB does create new mounds though.

Trying this again. I didnt understand the mechanics of light in the cave base and died in the most embarrassing way a Don't Starve player can die..

But it was worth it. Much better start now. Im about to go steal a ton of rocks and more bushes. Got gold for alchemy engine and all thanks to the massive amount of shrubbery in this world.

Circled the base and the rainforest/water part. Slow start but it ramped up quickly. Once I get my seed pods and such, im prepping for humid season.

EDIT: Considering the pig city is so close should i work on the gold for an extra rod for the tea trees or actually move them?

@metallichydra

5.PNG

6.PNG

4 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

ok, my bad. I’d heard that the pile gets depleted a bit every time a new beetle spawns, but maybe it’s every time the beetle makes a new ball? The BFB does create new mounds though.

If the beetle is not killed, he will destroy the pile

4 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Trying this again. I didnt understand the mechanics of light in the cave base and died in the most embarrassing way a Don't Starve player can die..

But it was worth it. Much better start now. Im about to go steal a ton of rocks and more bushes. Got gold for alchemy engine and all thanks to the massive amount of shrubbery in this world.

Circled the base and the rainforest/water part. Slow start but it ramped up quickly. Once I get my seed pods and such, im prepping for humid season.

EDIT: Considering the pig city is so close should i work on the gold for an extra rod for the tea trees or actually move them?

@metallichydra

5.PNG

6.PNG

Just move them

2 hours ago, metallichydra said:

in my world, i where at day 52

had just found the aporkalypse ruin nr. 1, and wa on the 5th island

it was humid season, i had 8 days left before the aporkalypse would hit, had to find that clock.

had prepared, where even so lucky that the aporkalypse ruin in gas rainforest was so close to the edge, that i didnt need gas mask.

but

humid season

isnt good for exploration

bats arrive, beetles ambush me, i was insane, so was chased by terrorbeak too. FPS drops to 1 - 5.
health was getting low, had only weevole armor left

prepare to use life-giving amulet! (when revived, mobs around you fall asleep)
i died, they fell asleep
there where many flytraps around me, many beetles, and i think some bats too. no more shadow creatures since i was sane now.

but

flytraps immidiatly wake up (didnt have a chance to flee) and hit me

and i die :(

i hate how unfair hamlet can be.

i have to remember this: never ever explore in any other season than temperate

I just lost 63 day Hamlet Woodlegs world because of ancient herald constantly spawning itself in my cave base , mant swarms, iron hulks and a bunch of bats

Hamlet is sad :c

2 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Quickly, Ro Bin just picked me up and for some reason the sinkhole doesnt lead back to my island but another. Unless there is some hidden room leading to my island. Do I just need to find my way back from the second island or is there a way back im missing?

There will be a temple leading to your island

6 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

I just lost 63 day Hamlet Woodlegs world because of ancient herald constantly spawning itself in my cave base , mant swarms, iron hulks and a bunch of bats

Hamlet is sad :c

There will be a temple leading to your island

I came out the cave to find bats and rabid beetles. Thank god for bug b gone. So i found the ruin with the pig on it as well as some mandrake mobs. Im safely in the pig city now on the 2nd island which im assuming is the pig queen so im gonna trade these scepters, heal up, check some stores, sell some stuff and im back to my base. Got a green mushtree room in my Roc Cave as well as one smaller lightbulb room.

Should i grab this moggles hat? For ruins. Same use as the bat cowl im guessing. I have the oincs.

7 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Should i grab this moggles hat? For ruins. Same use as the bat cowl im guessing. I have the oincs.

Bat cowl can be also used again the fog but i don't think moogles can do that. They will be only usefull for dark places but its better than nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

Bat cowl can be also used again the fog but i don't think moogles can do that. They will be only usefull for dark places but its better than nothing. 

Got my executive hammer and key to the city. Gonna grab my moggles and bail. No inventory space. Gonna get back to base and start thinking of my next plans. No shortage of oincs. Wondering if i should pick up a life giving amulet. It would be worth it to me if i can save this progress ive made. Probably save here and come back tomorrow with a better idea of what my pig city will look like at base. Would love to see some examples. Also keep getting hit by lightning. Might should pick up an umbrella. Back on my first island, can i hammer down the original city and move things to base?

EDIT: Update picture for the ones who are following progress.

9.PNG

Archived