Are pufts worth it?

So i recently started a new file with a few plans in mind, one of them being breeding all kind of pufts (since in my last save i did the same with shine bugs, got to abyssalite bugs before the game started going at like 10fps lol), i've been trying to find some info on puft breeding and lots of threads say they aren't worth it unless you have a polluted oxygen vent, but those threads are months old, so i bring the question: are they worth it?

Not just normal/prince Pufts, Dense and Squeaky pufts too! (Though im pretty sure Dense Pufts are just for decoration since they produce 5% less oxylite than their oxygen consumption iirc)

I’ve has good experiences with pufts, other than squeeky pufts. You don’t get much in terms of quantities from them. But, turning polluted water into slime (at 50% loss), algae (at 75% mass loss) and dirt (at 75% mass loss) is pretty neat! 

You need to have excess polluted water, need of those other materials, and potentially a lot of space to off-gas the polluted water - depending on your off-gassing approach.

On 20/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, Nickerooni said:

I’ve has good experiences with pufts, other than squeeky pufts. You don’t get much in terms of quantities from them. But, turning polluted water into slime (at 50% loss), algae (at 75% mass loss) and dirt (at 75% mass loss) is pretty neat! 

You need to have excess polluted water, need of those other materials, and potentially a lot of space to off-gas the polluted water - depending on your off-gassing approach.

I did a little puft ranch using Morbs as a polluted oxygen source, but its either not enough production, or they stop producing po2 when the morbs aren't on screen

Either way, when i focus the screen, i believe you need 1.5 morbs per puft, i might be wrong though

My guess is that you'd need an Infectuous po2 vent in order to make puft ranches worth it, aswell as Chlorine vents for Squeaky pufts

7 minutes ago, HappyKit said:

I did a little puft ranch using Morbs as a polluted oxygen source, but its either not enough production, or they stop producing po2 when the morbs aren't on screen

Either way, when i focus the screen, i believe you need 1.5 morbs per puft, i might be wrong though

My guess is that you'd need an Infectuous po2 vent in order to make puft ranches worth it, aswell as Chlorine vents for Squeaky pufts

Use algae terrariums or the empty pipe command to make bottles of polluted water. You'll be impressed with the offgas rate of bottled polluted water. No morbs needed. 

6 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Use algae terrariums or the empty pipe command to make bottles of polluted water. You'll be impressed with the offgas rate of bottled polluted water. No morbs needed. 

Or just get a load of surface area on your polluted water, if you can’t be bothered with bottle tricks.

Squeaky not so much, maybe if I actually used those sanitation stations.  The slime and meat you get from pufts is very nice.  Dense pufts are pretty much free critters.  They consume very little oxygen and turn that in to meat(and oxylite if you want to use it).

Shine bugs are the worthless ones.  Their eggs are not that valuable for omelettes and they consume a lot of dupe time for that small output.  Their babies make cute noises when they wake up but that isn't worth it.  I've been isolating wild ones off site so they stay alive.

4 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Shine bugs are the worthless ones.  Their eggs are not that valuable for omelettes and they consume a lot of dupe time for that small output.  Their babies make cute noises when they wake up but that isn't worth it.  I've been isolating wild ones off site so they stay alive.

Early game i made an barracks area just with some berry plants and the shinebugs, instant 120+ decor for days.

4 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Squeaky not so much, maybe if I actually used those sanitation stations.  The slime and meat you get from pufts is very nice.  Dense pufts are pretty much free critters.  They consume very little oxygen and turn that in to meat(and oxylite if you want to use it).

Actually Shine Bugs are amazing for free decor, they consume so little and reproduce too fast if groomed, you practically don't need to waste space for paintings and sculptures, plus they help with bristle blossom farms so i guess that's something

1 hour ago, HappyKit said:

plus they help with bristle blossom farms

Don`t forget they will eat bristle berries if you won`t pick them up instantly. You need to place a feeder in your farm (they prioritize it over eating from the ground) or use a morph that doesn`t eat bristles.

8 hours ago, Nickerooni said:

Or just get a load of surface area on your polluted water, if you can’t be bothered with bottle tricks.

>Shrugs< Whatever floats your boat. I'm personally not fond "wasting" a ton of space to build a huge over pressured PH2O snake to generate less PO2 than a few cycles of algae terrariums' bottled PH2O puts out. Or even deconstructing a couple full liquid reservoirs. 

And if you don't want to mess with bottles, pump PH2O into a series of unused metal refineries. A better use of space and what else are you going to use sedimentary rock for? 

Archived