Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

rnjacobs

What percentage of maps have at least one metal volcano?

rnjacobs    10

The last four games I've started haven't had any. And yet searching the seeds on ToolsNotIncluded, approximately 70% of maps should have at least one of some kind of metal volcano. (5633 iron + 5663 gold + 5612 copper -1651 iron&gold -1626 iron&copper -1651copper&gold +419all out of 17624 documented)

Am I just horribly unlucky?

ONIfreak    147

I think you are.

For last few maps i started i always had at least one (i never saw cold slush geyser though).

Why you need it? There is plenty of metal falling from space, i have gold and copper geyser on my current map and have no idea what to do with that amount of those metals. i started to build everything out of gold just for fun.

Coolthulhu    1045

There are something like 10 geysers per map, of which 3 have pre-set types (not metal). The rest is random, chosen uniformly from all possible geyser types (18). There are 3 metal geyser types, so 1/6 chance of a geyser being metal. Chance of all 10 geysers being non-metal is therefore about (5/6)^7, which is about 28%.

About 28% too high to risk wasting time with random seed, only to realize the map is pure crap.

rnjacobs    10
9 hours ago, ONIfreak said:

Why you need it? There is plenty of metal falling from space

In the late game, I found myself still wanting to build (and/or rebuild) lots of infrastructure using refined metal and regularly exceeded the rate at which asteroids brought iron to the surface.

In Cosmic and Expressive I played maps that had metal volcanoes and just the normal cool steam geysers for water. The maps I started for Rocketry and Space both had no metal volcanoes and lots of water generators, which was a novel twist. The two I tried to start for QoL1 had neither tons of water geysers nor metal volcanoes. So by now I've played to enough that I just find this kind of scarcity to be boring instead of challenging.

Miravlix    94
17 hours ago, rnjacobs said:

The last four games I've started haven't had any. And yet searching the seeds on ToolsNotIncluded, approximately 70% of maps should have at least one of some kind of metal volcano. (5633 iron + 5663 gold + 5612 copper -1651 iron&gold -1626 iron&copper -1651copper&gold +419all out of 17624 documented)

Am I just horribly unlucky?

I can't remember the last time my map had a volcano and I always use the default settings, so random new seed every game.

ONIfreak    147
14 hours ago, rnjacobs said:

In the late game, I found myself still wanting to build (and/or rebuild) lots of infrastructure using refined metal and regularly exceeded the rate at which asteroids brought iron to the surface.

In Cosmic and Expressive I played maps that had metal volcanoes and just the normal cool steam geysers for water. The maps I started for Rocketry and Space both had no metal volcanoes and lots of water generators, which was a novel twist. The two I tried to start for QoL1 had neither tons of water geysers nor metal volcanoes. So by now I've played to enough that I just find this kind of scarcity to be boring instead of challenging.

Fair enough.

in case you might not know there is seed searcher:

https://toolsnotincluded.net/seeds/

so if you find those maps annoying you can just choose what you want and start on that asteroid. That's what i did yesterday (i actually found it yesterday)