Game Question

rocketman732

Don't Starve is the base, stand-alone survival game, with no multiplayer. It also does not contain much of Don't Starve Together's content. Don't Starve also requires you to purchase the Reign of Giants DLC to play Reign of Giants, unlike Don't Starve Together (where it is packaged into the game for free). However, Don't Starve also offers the Shipwrecked and Hamlet DLCs, which cannot be played in any form on Don't Starve Together. 

Don't Starve Together is also a stand-alone survival game, with multiplayer. It contains more content, introduced as A New Reign content, and numerous limited-time events, such as Winter's Feast, Lunar New Year, The Gorge, The Forge, and Hallowed Nights. Mob health is increased in Don't Starve Together. Reign of Giants is automatically built into the game. The ruins and caves are on the same level. If you don't like playing multiplayer, you can always make your own server and play alone. Don't Starve Together does not contain Shipwrecked or Hamlet content in any form. 

Those are the main differences, I would recommend just getting Don't Starve Together if you could only get one. It has .much more content and you can get the little content lost via mods. However, Don't Starve's DLCs, Shipwrecked and Hamlet are quite fun if you have cash to spend on both the base game and the DLCs. 

Hope that cleaned up confusion.

If you like playing solo I would recommend Don't starve + Reign of giants dlc combo (costs same as Don't starve together). If you like playing multiplayer - Don't starve together is the only choice. DS is more balanced playing alone, but contains less content then DST (still a lot of things to do). Also you ever get bored there are two gigantic dlcs - Shipwrecked and Hamlet available for you (only for DS).

On 12/16/2018 at 4:46 PM, Master Jand said:

Don't Starve is the base, stand-alone survival game, with no multiplayer. It also does not contain much of Don't Starve Together's content. Don't Starve also requires you to purchase the Reign of Giants DLC to play Reign of Giants, unlike Don't Starve Together (where it is packaged into the game for free). However, Don't Starve also offers the Shipwrecked and Hamlet DLCs, which cannot be played in any form on Don't Starve Together. 

Don't Starve Together is also a stand-alone survival game, with multiplayer. It contains more content, introduced as A New Reign content, and numerous limited-time events, such as Winter's Feast, Lunar New Year, The Gorge, The Forge, and Hallowed Nights. Mob health is increased in Don't Starve Together. Reign of Giants is automatically built into the game. The ruins and caves are on the same level. If you don't like playing multiplayer, you can always make your own server and play alone. Don't Starve Together does not contain Shipwrecked or Hamlet content in any form. 

Those are the main differences, I would recommend just getting Don't Starve Together if you could only get one. It has .much more content and you can get the little content lost via mods. However, Don't Starve's DLCs, Shipwrecked and Hamlet are quite fun if you have cash to spend on both the base game and the DLCs. 

Hope that cleaned up confusion.

Yikes. That was more information than I needed. I just wasn't sure if they were separate games.

Archived