Sign in to follow this  
Karma Hound

So, what exactly is Maxwell?

Snob    1272

They don't seem to be innocent

Victims aren't supposed to be innocent, their own wrongdoings are judged when it is time.Heroes.. Hm.. I like this subject.

Snob    1272

I feel sorry for them though.

Do you feel sorry for the pyromaniac who burns down homes? Do you feel sorry for the "scientist" who inhumanly tests animals?Well, emotions are opposites of rationality. I can't blame you for feeling sorry for them.

Do you feel sorry for the pyromaniac who burns down homes? Do you feel sorry for the "scientist" who inhumanly tests animals?Well, emotions are opposites of rationality. I can't blame you for feeling sorry for them.

I can't help it. I feel sorry for them. Now.

Sarcosuchus    455

I don't understand why everyone seems deadset as making Wilson and the rest of the survivors the bad guys. Look at Maxwell. Just look at him! Look at what he says, the way he acts. Someone who was punishing people for their wrongdoing alone wouldn't go so out of his way to make them suffer. I mean, there's punishment, and then there's cruel, unusual, demon punishment, starving someone and driving them insane out in the middle of a monster filled nightmare world. If he wasn't doing it to amuse himself, he wouldn't be so meticulously vicious. Anyways, I still adamantly feel that Wilson is the good guy, who was abducted by some demon who has both a taste for cruelty and way too much time on his hands. Everybody has a hobby...Maxwell's is watching people scrabble for survival against ridiculous odds, and pushing them into insanity. Then again, I love Wilson's character, so I may be a little biased. :) Scientists FTW.

Snob    1272

Then again, I love Wilson's character, so I may be a little biased. :) Scientists FTW.

post-6300-1376459139396_thumb.png

He's soooo nice, and soooo innocent.

MilleniumCount    2160

But this bird seems to be dead already. Perhaps Wilson tries to revive him. (he is finally successful when creating the Effigy)So Maxwell could try to hinder Wilson because he fears him somehow.

Sarcosuchus    455

Augh, dang it, Snob, quit raining on my parade! There's no place for logic or reasonable arguments here, this is the internet! :) I refuse to be disillusioned: clearly, the duck is already half dead, and Wilson is just giving it medicine or something. I'm with Millenium on this one. I also find it difficult to believe that Wilson is highly committed to animal experimentation when he repeatedly observes how cute all the animals are. I remain staunchly committed to my point of view: Wilson is the protagonist, a scientist, and a gentlemen to boot. Maxwell is a demon running experimentation on human beings. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if in the end Maxwell spun it back at him as "Well, I'm just running an experiment, surely you of all people can appreciate that." ect.

Edited by Sarcosuchus
Just saw Millenium's comment, and I agree

Imagine going about your everyday buisness and minding your own. Even just doing what you do weather there good deads on not. Anyway one day you walk into a room. It could be any room not one that wasnt there before...could even be your bathroom or bedroom..but you walk through the door and fall into blackness. You wake up and your in a world which moves and lives and breathes like yours... only the night and the darkness is infinate ever present alive ever aware and HUNGREY and will attack in whatever form it can think of to encompas itself all over you to devour you. Besides when the sun comes around the ever present infiniate blackness is pushed away for a brief time and is limited to lesser forms of itself....it also doesnt want to just eat you it wants to play with its food and smell its fear..... infinity must get pretty boring on your own.... This is what Maxwell is.Why is it there? Who could ever say? Perhaps it was sealed away by some long long forgoten race with strange magick in a world of its own in an attempt to stop it from devouring all things of conciousness and realsing its grip on life. If this being the case its obviously found a way to reach out to satisfy its twisted needs to some degree.Or well just have to wait and see what the devs say who or what he is lol.

stormfront    26

this what we knowWilson is the main protagonist he was put on the islands by a demon named Maxwellwhy is unknown but it has been hinted that Maxwell is not someone to make deals with there is also a science law named Maxwell's demon..

Kevin    2354

From Wikipedia:The demon opens the door to allow only the faster than average molecules to flow through to a favored side of the chamber, and only the slower than average molecules to the other side, causing the favored side to gradually heat up while the other side cools down, thus decreasing entropy.

From Wikipedia:The demon opens the door to allow only the faster than average molecules to flow through to a favored side of the chamber, and only the slower than average molecules to the other side, causing the favored side to gradually heat up while the other side cools down, thus decreasing entropy.

I think I have it now. We are playing as a molecule that has a human consciousness and dissociative personality disorder.

Sisbeef    10

Augh, dang it, Snob, quit raining on my parade! There's no place for logic or reasonable arguments here, this is the internet! :) I refuse to be disillusioned: clearly, the duck is already half dead, and Wilson is just giving it medicine or something. I'm with Millenium on this one. I also find it difficult to believe that Wilson is highly committed to animal experimentation when he repeatedly observes how cute all the animals are. I remain staunchly committed to my point of view: Wilson is the protagonist, a scientist, and a gentlemen to boot. Maxwell is a demon running experimentation on human beings. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if in the end Maxwell spun it back at him as "Well, I'm just running an experiment, surely you of all people can appreciate that." ect.

I have to agree. Wilson doesn't strike me as being some kind of heartless sociopath LMAO."It smells like prettiness!" (Examining a garland)."Baby trees are so cute!" "He's so cute!" (Examining a frog)."Take that nature!"Personality-wise, he seems more silly then cruel.

Snob    1272

I have to agree. Wilson doesn't strike me as being some kind of heartless sociopath LMAO.

You are stuck on a island; after those countless tests on innocent critters. You begin to appreciate the wild life, as it gives you the abundance of resources to survive. You are happy. You are positive. No more tests, no more pain. No more cruelty. No more injustice.It's you and life itself. You must survive. Survive without going crazy, no doubt. So you talk to yourself."Do you like science?" Wilson held up the bunny. Bad memories. He figured it would be better if he talked about something else. Something else, other than those experiments."I don't like sports."

Sarcosuchus    455

I have to agree. Wilson doesn't strike me as being some kind of heartless sociopath LMAO."It smells like prettiness!" (Examining a garland)."Baby trees are so cute!" "He's so cute!" (Examining a frog)."Take that nature!"Personality-wise, he seems more silly then cruel.

This ^. On a semi-unrelated note...I hesitate to make this joking connection, but someone has to do it. Once more unto the breach! *braces self*

Contracts, entropy, demonic presence keeping you in the dark... cough*Kyubey*cough. Further proof that no matter what the entity offering a contract looks like, be it a stuffed animal or a sinisterly dapper middle aged gentlemen, you do not sign. Contracts are bad news.

Snob    1272

Look at Wilson.He is smiling, no doubt.How is he holding the dead creature?Holding it by its neck.Quite interesting, considering he's trying to revive the damn creature.Also, look at the green liquid.

stormfront    26

After reading kevin's post on that law.. it makes me think its some kind of trial and if Wilson and the others survive they get some sort of ultimate power/magic mcguffenalso *climbs in the Wilson is probably more evil than he seems boat*

Snob    1272

*climbs in the Wilson is probably more evil than he seems boat*

Oh, looks like there are people with rational thoughts.*high5*

Sarcosuchus    455

After reading kevin's post on that law.. it makes me think its some kind of trial and if Wilson and the others survive they get some sort of ultimate power/magic mcguffen

I read that the first time as magic muffin...which makes me conclude that the true identity of Maxwell is ... the muffin man. Bum bum buuuuuum. Side question, though: why does Wilson hate Maxwell if he agreed to the challenge in the first place?

also *climbs in the Wilson is probably more evil than he seems boat*

Stormfront, nooooo! Man, you guys have a giant flagship full of evilWilson supporters, and I just have my little dinky rowboat that you're blasting with observational cannonfire. All I have to say to that ispost-6023-13764591408688_thumb.jpeg:)In all seriousness though, I will admit that it is likely that there is some darker reason as to why Wilson is on the island. Wether that has to do with Wilson's past or Wilson himself is up to debate. All of the observations that have been listed are sound, valid possibilities. However, I'm going to judge Wilson by his actions in his current environment. I find the poor guy endearing, at least in the evidence we have directly presented to us at the moment. He's just a gentleman scientist doing the best he can in an impossible situation, and you have to appreciate that he's managing to keep some of his sense of humor. Rather than extrapolating, I'm working off the dialogue he actually uses in the game. None of that suggests the kind of dispassionate scientific nature needed to do things like dissections or animal experiments. If he finds frogs cute (not only a frequently dissected animal, but one that can actively injure him) I have a hard time picturing him running inhumane tests on them/other "laboratory" animals. What about Wilson, from what we know of him now, in-game, suggests he has done anything to earn this punishment? Though, as a disclaimer, I will state that until we get some real plot in story mode, there's no real way to know.