What would you add to the Aporkalipse?

Ahh, the Aporkalipse. I haven't played it yet (godamn winters feast merriment), but after watching that Volx stream I can say it seems a bit...... lackluster. Now, it's quite obviously a WIP, and is currently just a "bad thing" that you don't want to happen that's really just a high-octane game of duck duck Goose with bats and frogs and an excuse for me to kill pog's (THEY HAD IT COMING THE BASTARDS). So, what would you add to make it better? Honestly, I think it would be cool just to have meteors rain from the sky to give that "end of the world" vibe.

685dc80d2a054162003f983c7e87ad32f5bbbc27

• Add in some creepy ambience playing in the background.
  • Add in a "Aporkalypse Starts" song to give the event a bit more of a theme, and maybe even add in a new dawn song. Hell, screw it and give the event an entire new soundtrack, including fight, work and EFS! (though, this could potentially be a lot of work) Also, give the Ancient Herald a dramatic fighting song already, damn it!
  • Maybe have some sound effects play before Aporkalypse starts? So that the player knows that it's bound to happen soon. (kinda like hound noises, but for the season) Also, make the character react to it!
  • Talking about sound effects, maybe give the mobs that are affected by the Aporkalypse (like the Electric Owl or Pogs) new sounds and/or animations to go with the event. Make this event truly unique!
  • Random Meteors, random winds and maybe add in additional weather effects. (like Freezing, though I probably wouldn't go for overheating)
  • Whilst I understand that the bat waves become more common during the event, I feel that it would be better (and fairer) if the bat waves worked slightly differently whilst in the Aporkalypse. Instead of getting a wave every single day, let bats fall from the sky at random (in smaller numbers), and make the waves happen every two-three days instead (again, with slightly smaller numbers). I just feel that the bat waves currently are more of an annoyance and they have no way of being countered other than by the sheer amount of armour that the player can carry. Make it a bit more dynamic (and exciting!)
  • Iron Hulks could merge together, causing chaos not just for the player but for everything around them. "Killing" the Iron Hulk could drop gears (2-4) with some other things, such as alloy? Of course, you wouldn't actually kill the Iron Hulk. It would simply unmerge and deactivate for a little while.
  • Crawling Horrors (and Shadow Creatures) should spawn around the map whilst the event is going on. They don't have to be necessarily hostile until the player goes insane. I think it would give the event quite the atmosphere.
  • Give some items to drop for the Herald, though I'd probably give them a rather low chance to drop (considering how often he spawns). He could drop some nightmare fuel and some sort of a unique item. Maybe the cloak he wears could drop?
  • The Ancient Herald could give you some warning sounds before he spawns. (though I guess him randomly spawning could be kinda the whole point of it. this one is a bit more of a personal preference I'd say)
  • Maybe make the Gas from the Gas Biome spread to other biomes to make them even more inhabitable during the event? (even more reason to even have a Gas Mask)
  • Maybe add some more variants for the wildlife to become hostile.
  • Could give plants a chance to wither.
  • Nettle Plants could bloom during the event.
  • A very small possibility of wild fires. (this is pure evil)
  • All flytraps become level 2 for the duration of the event. (OR the suggestion below)
  • Rabid beetles.
  • The ROC could still spawn, but he could become hostile instead, targeting the player. Not necessarily killable, maybe the player would have to try and dodge him instead.
  • (the OTHER suggestion) Also, this could be harder to implement, but imagine Level 3 Flytraps being able to move during the event!
  • Pig Ruins could be reset (optionally) during the event. Now, I don't know how exactly it would work, but I feel that there should be an option to reset the ruins, and I think that achieving that through this event would be the best way of going about it!
  • Personally, I do feel that it's a bit too easy to stop the Aporkalypse from happening. (considering all you have to do is find the clock, and then move the clock either backwards or forwards) So, maybe, juuuust maybe, once an Aporkalypse starts, the calendar controls will be blocked. To unlock them, you will have to defeat the Ancient Herald and use an item that he dropped on the clock, which will unlock the controls again. Of course, if the player was messing around with the clock and he/she activated the Aporkalypse by accident, there could be a timer which would allow the player to move the clock before the controls get blocked.

Props to Szczuku for the new anim/sounds for mobs idea. Very very good.

1 hour ago, Roosev said:
  • Add in some creepy ambience playing in the background.
  • Add in a "Aporkalypse Starts" song to give the event a bit more of a theme, and maybe even add in new dusk song. (though, this could potentially be a lot of work) (also, damn, give ancient herald a fighting song already damn it!)
  • Maybe have some sound effects play before Aporkalypse starts? So that the player knows that it's bound to happen soon. (kinda like hound noises, but for the season) (also, make the character react to it)
  • Iron Hulks merging together?  (additional boss, but I don't want to spoil anything)
  • Give some items to drop for the Herald, though I'd probably give them a low chance to drop (considering how often he spawns)
  • Maybe make the Gas Biome spread to some other biomes to make them even more inhabitable during the event?
  • Maybe add more variants for the wildlife to become even more hostile
  • All flytraps become level 2 for the duration of the event.
  • The ROC could still spawn, but becomes hostile instead of trying to capture the player?

These are nice ideas. The rest- not so much

Personally, I'd focus on adding stuff that would make players want to stick around the Aporkalypse for a while, rather than just avoid it all together.

- Would be awesome if the Iron Hulks would come together, form a new huge Iron Boss, which would then give you a unique drop.

- Same goes for Herald boss, make it drop something unique, albeit at a low drop rate since he spawns frequently and is fairly easy to kill.

- Meteorite storms, which would have a chance of dropping moonrock would be cool; these could create lava pools around them.

- All characters should have a unique quote when Aporkalypse starts, minor addition but would be cool.

1 hour ago, Banana Pimp said:

Personally, I'd focus on adding stuff that would make players want to stick around the Aporkalypse for a while, rather than just avoid it all together.

- Would be awesome if the Iron Hulks would come together, form a new huge Iron Boss, which would then give you a unique drop.

- Same goes for Herald boss, make it drop something unique, albeit at a low drop rate since he spawns frequently and is fairly easy to kill.

- Meteorite storms, which would have a chance of dropping moonrock would be cool; these could create lava pools around them.

- All characters should have a unique quote when Aporkalypse starts, minor addition but would be cool.

1. Is already in the works

2. It has to happen, it can't not happen

3. Unlikely

4. Might be in qol 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:31 AM, Banana Pimp said:

All these sounds cool. 

Unlike other people, I think Aporcalypse is not that hard. I mean, the whole Hamlet DLC es really easy compared to RoG or SW. We have almost three seasons to prepare for this "terrible" hell and I think it's not that hard because of that. Maybe now it was impressive because we didn't know what to expect and we weren't really prepared, but if you think it carefully, the fact that you can delay the Aporkalypse before the first one makes it senseless and let you take a lot of time to prepare making the whole thing something useless. 

I would do this.

- I would make the first Aporkalypse unstoppable. You can't acess to the 5th Island until the first time. This would give you such a terrible challenge since you have to go the jungle while it's raining if you want to stop this thing. And if you want to reverse it after this first time, you need some loot from the Herald (or other possible harder boss) to make it possible. It's not just going for the Calendar and reverse it. I mean, it's silly that something so cool can be stopped just by clicking on other stuff. Give me a challenge. Ah, and this would mean that if you want to stop another Aporkalypse once again, you need to defeat another Herald (or harder boss) to make that possible. 

- All the berry trees and food resources like Aloe can't be harvested and any monster you kill won't give you normal meat but monster meat which will have repercussions on the poor sanity that the eternal night causes.  I mean, make me want the Aporkalypse over for the right reasons and not because I have infinite bat weaves spawning everyday. At the end of the day, the game is named "Don't Starve", not "Don't be killed by bats". 

- I would make all the mobs hostile and a little bit more powerful and agressive with some kind of physical transformation. Maybe this is too much, but I hate that pogs are the most threatening criature besides the Herald. Make me want to be smart and avoid some criatures insted of facing them as usual. 

- Meteor showers and earthquakes even on city. If you have a house on city, you are still very safe. I don't like that. This is not the hell on Earth that I though it was gonna be. Make cities actually uninhabitable. C'mon, it's an apocalypse. Make earthquakes that can destroy buildings (even my house), re-use the cracks on the floor from SW, give me a small posibility of a meteor shower everyday, transform the normal pigs on werepigs. Do something that make this looks like a real apocalypse and make me wanna leave the cities. 

- Finally, all this is because I only feel the need of ending the Aporkalypse because of the bats and the freaking infinite Heralds, but not because I feel the life quality of my character has decreased. I don't feel desperate or something similar like I feel sometimes with summer or winter for example. 

Also, forgot to mention one thing - I would LOVE to see the fight between Herald and Hulk. It would be just awesome, I hope, that we won’t have to deal with both of them working together to turn us into smoking pile of dust.

4 hours ago, Banana Pimp said:

Someone on the discord server found this while data mining (hidden for spoilers)

Spoiler

image0.png?width=360&height=264

Not sure if its real, but looks pretty liget.

13 hours ago, Roosev said:

A very small possibility of wild fires?

no

6 hours ago, Dalek said:

Also, forgot to mention one thing - I would LOVE to see the fight between Herald and Hulk. It would be just awesome, I hope, that we won’t have to deal with both of them working together to turn us into smoking pile of dust.

seems like the hulk was created to fight off the aporkalypse which is why they turn on during the event so you might have some help

On 08/12/2018 at 11:00 AM, Dalek said:

I would make it non-everlasting, also bat waves every day seem kinda senseless. And of course Herald drops, may be some extremely good clothing, like good ol’ Tam, or some shadow-themed stuff.

He should at least drop some nightmare fuel. Now that I think about it, maybe he could drop that cape that he wears...

I would say make it so instead of there being an aporkalypse clock in the herald ruins, have an extra large room where you fight the herald in its true form. It would have more health and new attacks and once defeated the aporkalypse would end and it would drop an item. It helps with the disappointment I felt when killed my first herald bet got nothing, I would love to at least see a drop.

16 hours ago, Roosev said:

He should at least drop some nightmare fuel.

Well, that would be boring taking into account that he's a new boss that we've never seen and he spawns on the apocalypse of the Don't Starve world. 

Now that I think about it, maybe he could drop that cape that he wears...

Now we're speaking the samen language. He would have to drop something that can trigger a harder boss fight or maybe, something that could stop the Aporkalypse. I need more depth on this DLC.   

I would add a Iron Hulk Suit of Armor.. would be powered on red light available only during the Aporkalypse. Gives crazy protections and damage but doesn't last forever.. would give players a chance to have some fun for a bit with all the madness before having to turn the clock back.

I would even look forward to the Aporkalyse if I had something like this.

Archived