DST in December and the New Year!

I know its a wall of text, but Im gladly letting my melancholly carry me away.

Events are somewhat nice, but nerds like me feel that the game is too narrow. Can you, perhaps, makes some changes to the base game? You know, we've been waiting for rebalances since DST came out and the only thing you did really change is nerfed bees to hell. I'd like you to finally fix the ancient guardian. He can be cheesed 99.(9)% of times. I'd like you to fix out of bounds glitches (with wardrobe and lureplant). I'd like you to add all objects to pathability map(like its done in Warcraft3 for example and as it is inherited by many MOBA games) and to make bees ignore walls on path choosing like bosses AI does. I'd like you to make armors useful on public servers (yeah, you've released 3 thulecite suits skins, but I would always choose a crown over the armor because newbies on public servers are always like OOOH! TOCHY TOCHY!); perhaps making amulets come instead of headwear would be a good quickfix (noone uses them alot anyway and that would make armors useful while also not making crown useless). I'd like you to rebalance foods (well, make this variety count! I never crafted a kebab and never found guacamole useful. Chili is quite uneasy to make as well. Perhaps play with cooking times a bit? People like stockpiling crockpots so triple the time and play more with it! Do something about the bat bat. Its bad. It offers tons of health, but how often you see people crafting it? Nerf axes, buff hammers (damage-wise)! MAKE GOATS DROP RELIABLE HORN DAMMIT! Even if that means highly increasing item costs. This random is ditching me too often! Nerf the area players can see for to the size of original DS! Moving in darkness is too easy. And mole hat is like "meh." since you can see everything on your map. Guarantee 2 marble shadow-pieces set pieces! Or make marble heads visible on the map! Play around with worldgen! Nerf the ham bat, buff magic stuff, let us use telestaff on other players without pvp enabled(otherwise whats the point of crafting it or acquiring it from the ancient guardian?)! Let the guy who've made the fuelweaver do more awesome things!

22 hours ago, Diaboliko said:

Nerf the ham bat, buff magic stuff, let us use telestaff on other players without pvp enabled(otherwise whats the point of crafting it or acquiring it from the ancient guardian?)!

...gotta admit, I miss the old days of telepoofing un-kickable troublemakers into the unknown wilds on public servers.

On 5. 12. 2018 at 2:13 PM, Lakurius said:

Hide contents

Character rebalance>permanent content though ;)

oh the irony.

1 hour ago, AlienMagi said:

Any chance the year of the gobbler winter hat will make a return? I really want that hat and I missed it.

yes it will!

in 11 years.

On 6. 12. 2018 at 8:03 PM, Diaboliko said:

Let the guy who've made the fuelweaver do more awesome things!

it was the dst team who made it.

2 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

That picture still applies, one of the presents is treated under the 4 or more section, while any additional presents are under the less than 4 days.

Oh, that's it

Last year, most all of presents were treated under the 4 or more section

So from now on, we have no necessary to make more The Christmas tree :(

On 06/12/2018 at 7:03 PM, Diaboliko said:

blablablabla

Almost all of that was totally subjective, and none of it should be high priority. Some if it was just outright terrible ideas, such as

On 07/12/2018 at 5:39 PM, lifetheuniverse said:

...gotta admit, I miss the old days of telepoofing un-kickable troublemakers into the unknown wilds on public servers.

for reasons that should become obvious if you just think for a second about what lifetheuniverse is saying there. (Hint: there is no hidden flag in the game that would mark someone as an "un-kickable troublemaker", so the same mechanism could be applied by anybody to anybody they don't like for whatever reason. I am thinking of a noobie on an endless server (who shall remain anonymous, since I am nice) who recently planted trees in the middle of the base and plastered an enormous area right by the base with Christmas trees; when I started trying to chop paths open, so that one could move through the base without constantly bumping into impassable objects, he started spewing obscenities; needless to say if he could have telepoofed me from the base, which I had built from day 1 of the server together with a handful of other people, he would have instantly done that).

25 minutes ago, Majestix said:

Hint: there is no hidden flag in the game that would mark someone as an "un-kickable troublemaker", so the same mechanism could be applied by anybody to anybody they don't like for whatever reason.

You're right, the Old Bell in DST would be a disaster: random people who destroy bases and kill others for "lulz".

3 hours ago, Majestix said:

if he could have telepoofed me from the base, which I had built from day 1 of the server together with a handful of other people, he would have instantly done that).

Except that you dont get purple gems and living logs that easily and map is actually looking big for newbies only. If you are running a public base (marked on the map or inviting noobs here other way), your base will end up like all the other public bases :) Its also a terrible idea to keep good stuff in chests. As a person who builds bases only for other people to stay, I can tell the people rarely get to mud area in caves, ruins are safe. Because people who do the "OOH! SHINY!" and steal **** dont know crap about worldgen and just stick to the wall (or unpredictably move other direction) so just keep it deep. You only NEED magic for fuelweaver and, perhaps toad(fastens it) if soloing those(f off saying that you dont need crap for fuelweaver, Im speaking of cases with 100+ping). All else is kinda unnecessary and can be prototyoed too.

3 hours ago, Majestix said:

[snip]

You read too far into my comment. Mainly because it was a joke. But hey, for context's sake...
The telepoofing thing was mainly used when this game was in its infancy. We would get people burning bases and dying just to haunt cooking crockpots or to break buildings, and be unable to remove them from the game for some reason or another; or they'd simply rejoin 2 seconds later. When some basic improvements were made to the system, there'd be people rigging votes trying to keep trolls around so rival parties would get frustrated into leaving, leaving their bases open for raiding.
And yea, as mentioned, proactive telepoofing was somewhat regulated by the requirements for doing so. The caves weren't even functional, so there'd often only be 1 staff.
...the game has made a lot of progress since then, and servers are at least more plentiful than they were at that time (meaning less competing parties), so those issues aren't really prevalent anymore. Though since we're on the topic, I do still miss it, just because visible, flashy punishments for grief are entertaining. That's what the comment was actually about; telepoofing trolls being funny, not that we actually need it back.

On 07/12/2018 at 3:03 AM, Diaboliko said:

Events are somewhat nice, but nerds like me feel that the game is too narrow. Can you, perhaps, makes some changes to the base game? You know, we've been waiting for rebalances since DST came out and the only thing you did really change is nerfed bees to hell. I'd like you to finally fix the ancient guardian. He can be cheesed 99.(9)% of times. I'd like you to fix out of bounds glitches (with wardrobe and lureplant). I'd like you to add all objects to pathability map(like its done in Warcraft3 for example and as it is inherited by many MOBA games) and to make bees ignore walls on path choosing like bosses AI does. I'd like you to make armors useful on public servers (yeah, you've released 3 thulecite suits skins, but I would always choose a crown over the armor because newbies on public servers are always like OOOH! TOCHY TOCHY!); perhaps making amulets come instead of headwear would be a good quickfix (noone uses them alot anyway and that would make armors useful while also not making crown useless). I'd like you to rebalance foods (well, make this variety count! I never crafted a kebab and never found guacamole useful. Chili is quite uneasy to make as well. Perhaps play with cooking times a bit? People like stockpiling crockpots so triple the time and play more with it! Do something about the bat bat. Its bad. It offers tons of health, but how often you see people crafting it? Nerf axes, buff hammers (damage-wise)! MAKE GOATS DROP RELIABLE HORN DAMMIT! Even if that means highly increasing item costs. This random is ditching me too often! Nerf the area players can see for to the size of original DS! Moving in darkness is too easy. And mole hat is like "meh." since you can see everything on your map. Guarantee 2 marble shadow-pieces set pieces! Or make marble heads visible on the map! Play around with worldgen! Nerf the ham bat, buff magic stuff, let us use telestaff on other players without pvp enabled(otherwise whats the point of crafting it or acquiring it from the ancient guardian?)! Let the guy who've made the fuelweaver do more awesome things!

No offense but i think the bees should not fly over walls unless they're no openings in the walls. These is the reason stopping spring bees from continously attacking other mobs in your base. Say you have a pretty good base, you have your koalephant herd in a pen and bee boxes in the other. Spring comes and the bees get angry, fly over the walls and proceed to attack your koalephant herd. Ending? No honey since your bees kept dying. In fact many people build their bee boxes pen with a small hole in the back. Why? To stop the angry bees from flying over the walls and attacking others. If the bees are confined in an area with only a hole as the entrance/exit, the bees would not fly over and intrude. Instead they will use the hole in the back which often leads to nowhere and no mobs to attack. Do you understand? Its not that its a bad idea. I mean its logical for a bee to fly over a wall to attack you, not use an entrance. But if bees are actually coded that way, can you imagine the chaos ensued?

Also about the telestaff, surely you know why they don't let us use it outside of pvp? It would cause( yet again) chaos. Imagine a griefer/troll go in your game, use your purple gems to create the telestaff and proceed to teleport EVERYONE in the game. Would you like it if you got shot somewhere faraway your base? Sure for the players that already have a 10k day base or whatever they can just find their way back. But imagine tho if you're barely to day 100 and opening a chest and BAM! You got kicked out of your base, your base is getting covered in flames and everyone is shot to different locations, confused. Sure its a weapon against evil, but have you thought about evil using it against you? No offense but i hope this feature does not get implemented. We already have enough rage at hammers and torches. We don't need more.

5 hours ago, Booklover said:

No offense but i think the bees should not fly over walls unless they're no openings in the walls. These is the reason stopping spring bees from continously attacking other mobs in your base. Say you have a pretty good base, you have your koalephant herd in a pen and bee boxes in the other. Spring comes and the bees get angry, fly over the walls and proceed to attack your koalephant herd. Ending? No honey since your bees kept dying. In fact many people build their bee boxes pen with a small hole in the back. Why? To stop the angry bees from flying over the walls and attacking others. If the bees are confined in an area with only a hole as the entrance/exit, the bees would not fly over and intrude. Instead they will use the hole in the back which often leads to nowhere and no mobs to attack. Do you understand? Its not that its a bad idea. I mean its logical for a bee to fly over a wall to attack you, not use an entrance. But if bees are actually coded that way, can you imagine the chaos ensued?

Also about the telestaff, surely you know why they don't let us use it outside of pvp? It would cause( yet again) chaos. Imagine a griefer/troll go in your game, use your purple gems to create the telestaff and proceed to teleport EVERYONE in the game. Would you like it if you got shot somewhere faraway your base? Sure for the players that already have a 10k day base or whatever they can just find their way back. But imagine tho if you're barely to day 100 and opening a chest and BAM! You got kicked out of your base, your base is getting covered in flames and everyone is shot to different locations, confused. Sure its a weapon against evil, but have you thought about evil using it against you? No offense but i hope this feature does not get implemented. We already have enough rage at hammers and torches. We don't need more.

Im abusing path-finding on all creatures. It also is the thing that makes bee queen killable for me. I dont care about bees and bee boxes. I want all the content to become playable only the way it was intended to play (plus minus...). I am not fine with devs adding content only for it to never get polished (except for fuelweaver, though there is a well known bug with lureplant cheese which is related indirectly.)

I think if person desides to get angry at you, nothing could cool his wrath. If people deside to grief - they grief and you cant stop it. You can only rollback and minimize the damage done. Staff would at least get some valid purpose this way. To troll newbies that is. If you are the kind of person who runs public bases marked on the map on public servers - you are just wicked. It will make no change for casuals. It will let high-tier players to have some extra fun and, possibly, help people (teleport people to random location at winter for fun, or teleport them to telelocator point WHICH IS OTHERWISE ABSOLUTELY USELESS, GIGANTIC MAP TAKES JUST HALF A DAY TO RUN TROUGH). If you wanna protect your gems from newbies, dont do it by removing item recipies from the game, damn it!

2 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

I'd like walls blocking out flying mobs if the walls themselves were made taller to match usual flight height. Then at least it's like...'Oh, I guess they can't fly any higher than that?'.

Except that they can still get over them if path finding says there is no route towards the target.

35 minutes ago, Diaboliko said:

WHICH IS OTHERWISE ABSOLUTELY USELESS, GIGANTIC MAP TAKES JUST HALF A DAY TO RUN TROUGH

...that is a good point.
The Lazy Deserter exists for teleporting players to eachother, and nearly fulfills any remaining uses of the Telelocator Staff and Base with a much lower cost. With just a really minor change, there'd be nothing left for the Telelocator to do...other than mob teleportation. And on that note, teleporting bosses away is basically an 'instant win' exploit since they'll quickly despawn, and teleporting a useful mob into a pen via Focus is too costly to be useful outside of cave living, maybe. Basically, by the time you have enough gems to make using a Focus appealing, you probably have your desired mobs penned up anyway.

Anyway.
Telelocator has too much overlap with the Lazy Deserter, and too little use otherwise.
I think it would actually be better if they made it into a Zappinator staff. Just the lightning effect, no teleportation; that would make it useful in combat, and more useful for WX.

...and then they removed Cave and Rain effects via the staff.
Currently, the thing just isn't used, outside of occasional use of the aforementioned boss exploit. Hell, the Wiki article doesn't even have DST information on it. That's how little players touch it.
Change the staff, with the changes/additions DST makes there's no point to it being in the game.
Remove Telelocator focus, maybe use the assets in an event or something.

35 minutes ago, Diaboliko said:

IExcept that they can still get over them if path finding says there is no route towards the target.

Yea, my suggestion is that it should be one way or the other. Make walls higher and have it be completely impossible for non-boss Mobs to go through them...or keep them low and make flying mobs completely ignore them.

Teleportation would've been very useful in caves though. It always takes so much time to run to ancient pceudostation/atrium/other point of interest. That would've made it useful for those who can justify its price. Or just make teleport at sinkhole lights, cycling through all of them (also, the one at the atrium), but I dunno what about telelocator focus then. I mean, wether it should work without sinkholes close or not... Definetely not with the lightning effect (which I dont think is a thing now, is it?)

Archived