• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Extended Sample Character DST1.2.6/SW1.3.1.1

5 Screenshots

About This File

A character mod template for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together.

There are multiple versions.

V1.0.4 - Don't Starve and Don't Starve Reign of Giants

V1.2.6 - Don't Starve Together

V1.3.1 - Don't Starve Shipwrecked

The full tutorial can be found here.

Features:

• Basic coding for a character mod
  • All sprites and symbols to build a character
  • Extended drawing areas for custom art
  • Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, and Don't Starve Together versions

This requires Don't Starve Mod Tools to autocompile .png files that are modified.
The .scml is built in a way that you can use Spriter (included with Don't Starve Mod Tools) to preview the changes you make. The .scml file is not intended to be changed itself, and changes may not correctly reflect how it appears in-game.
A folder of cleared sprites has been included to easily remove unwanted parts from your character.

Also on Github

What's New in Version DST1.2.6/SW1.3.1.1   See changelog

Released

DST Version

• Add skin modes
  • Stats and starting inventory moved to TUNING to be available on the character select screen
  • Add character survivability
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1
  • Health 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There seems to be an error, me and my friends made characters and for some reason they arent compatible with each other, 

we think it might be a problem in the character_none, the zip folder, well rar in my case that is in charge of the animations.
Do you happen to know how to solve this? 

I want my mod to be compatible with both RoG and SW. Do I just download the SW version and it will work with RoG, or do I need to use both and merge them somehow?

9 hours ago, imacatlolol said:

I want my mod to be compatible with both RoG and SW. Do I just download the SW version and it will work with RoG, or do I need to use both and merge them somehow?

RoG compatibility is true for SW and DST version. The reason those two gamemodes are not compatible is the player animation: DST requires emote-faces while SW requires the rowing.

i'm having a problem. i'm trying to test the sample mod in game to see if the scripts have changed (since the character i'm modding speaks differently than the default scripts), and all the files are fine and in place, but when i go to boot up a server to test the mod out, it ends up crashing, saying, "An error occurred while starting the game. Check your log for details." i seem to have lost where the 'log' is, and i don't know what exactly i'm supposed to be checking in that log. if i change the "api_version" to 11, the server boots up, but the mod won't load through the server, even though i have it enabled. if i put it back down to 10, the game/server will crash and the error message will pop up, before i even get to the character selection screen. has anyone else had this problem? does anyone know a solution? (note: i'm playing through Don't Starve Together, using the Don't Starve Together sample mod.)

Edited by Scrillow

On 1/7/2017 at 2:50 PM, Mobbstar said:

Follow this guide very closely, then you should be able to create an entire character with unique appearance:

For unique perks such as Wilson's beard, you need to either learn coding (Lua is rather easy to learn using internet resources, just google some) or ask a coder for help.

I'm stuck on the character art scaling. I used the template provided but the body parts aren't lining up properly.

Noticed this sample pack is a year old. Is everything still fully compatible with the current version of DST or is it missing things (new animations, speech lines, ect ect)?

Excuse me, can you tell me how to make this

this time my ability can only edit the text in the mod my characters, such as increase the level, the ability of the other

Sorry my english not good

Capture 1.PNG

Capture.PNG

I have a question...
What's the best software to make new sprites.
So, you can give me the name of the corresponding software?

so, thank you!

On 6/2/2017 at 5:15 AM, Kyouyashinji said:

this time my ability can only edit the text in the mod my characters, such as increase the level, the ability of the other

Capture 1.PNG

Capture.PNG

you need matt tools, you cand find this software here in the klei forums.
so, you need to see an tutorial, (not necessary, because is too easy to use)

i knew that anim files & build files, you only can see it , using matts tools.

24 minutes ago, DanijelR said:

help it does not work for me when i load it it says this

Make sure to always use lowercase letters when the template does. You've used "Geener" instead of "geener" at some point.

I tried out the DST version in DST and things are playable but sort of looks wonky, probably due to being outdated. Ghost haunting animation isn't quite right and the select screen doesn't like to display the name at all

I hope this sample character could be updated soon?

I did the instructions and it ran fine until I started editing the torso, now I can't get any of the textures to change now :( I tried restarting, can somebody help me?

When I get to the character screen and pick my character the game goes into the loading screen and just stays there. What do I do?

i like this and all but evey time i try to make my Character (Yarny) The game just Breaks or just makes the mod unplayable

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this, but when following the tut exactly, when I reach the part whee you save the mod to workshop, it tells me modinfo.lua is missing or invalid.

whenever i boot up the game with some graphics changed 2 days ago, this appears. (Shown on picture 1)

Then i booted up the game with all the graphics changed today, and this is what it should look like. (Shown on picture 2)

But this is what it looks like in the game today. (Shown on Picture 3)

Does anyone know how to fix this? Please notify me if you do.

20180913180039_1.jpg

asasasas_000.png

dafug is dis.png

Edited by TheDredBot

On 2/6/2017 at 12:15 PM, Kyouyashinji said:

Capture 1.PNG

Capture.PNG

are you hacking the game? this should be against the rules.

How do you the charactername_cleared files, when I use them and open up spriter it shows them gone, but when I go in game it doesn't, help please.

Can you post animation with a normal head, please? This character's head is deformed, her eye level is too low making hats look like they are levitating above the head, there is part of the head of the back missing, so side view is really hurting. Its really frustrating having to use a template that is not default

Also is there a way to decompile existing anim builds to retrieve all the png files used to animate?

Edited by Parusoid