• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Extended Sample Character DST1.2.6/SW1.3.1.1

5 Screenshots

About This File

A character mod template for Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together.

There are multiple versions.

V1.0.4 - Don't Starve and Don't Starve Reign of Giants

V1.2.6 - Don't Starve Together

V1.3.1 - Don't Starve Shipwrecked

The full tutorial can be found here.

Features:

• Basic coding for a character mod
  • All sprites and symbols to build a character
  • Extended drawing areas for custom art
  • Reign of Giants, Shipwrecked, and Don't Starve Together versions

This requires Don't Starve Mod Tools to autocompile .png files that are modified.
The .scml is built in a way that you can use Spriter (included with Don't Starve Mod Tools) to preview the changes you make. The .scml file is not intended to be changed itself, and changes may not correctly reflect how it appears in-game.
A folder of cleared sprites has been included to easily remove unwanted parts from your character.

Also on Github

What's New in Version DST1.2.6/SW1.3.1.1   See changelog

Released

DST Version

• Add skin modes
  • Stats and starting inventory moved to TUNING to be available on the character select screen
  • Add character survivability
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1
  • Health 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Whew...It's a little disheartening seeing all of the new Don't Starve Together stuff that was added, but it must have taken ages to add all of that! Thanks for keeping this up-to-date!

Is there a guide to go with this? If so, I apologize for my ignorance, but some files need explanations for me. I couldn't find anything anywhere, so I'm posting here now. Oh, and nice job making all this, Dleowolf!

how to make template or how to fix template ? Using this template, hair can not draw properly.

make the file bigger: continue to experiment with the file size of the hair

3388953f92fcc9a5c09c86a5f46b6b59?size=20

@Dryicefox

That's my problem.. I can not draw a big head. (1.02)

-----------

This problem has been resolved, just reinstall the mod tool. Sample character is perfect. Thanks again

• Like 1

if i clear out one png, i cant compile the files. Only way i found was to clear the resulting tex files from unwanted images. Is there maybe a better way to do this?

By clearing, I mean making the png blank, rather than deleting it. There is a way to be able to delete files, but it requires editing the .scml with a text editor.

By clearing, I mean making the png blank, rather than deleting it. There is a way to be able to delete files, but it requires editing the .scml with a text editor.

i know what you mean by cleaning out, i have not delete anything. i just have no visable texture in the png. maybe it is because the build creater looks for a texture to optimze the build?

21177lu.jpg

You forgot about one small emote right after making angry face. It appears only by very short time, but it still looks incomplete. Also there are a lot unnecessary faces in folder "face" (like no.16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27) and some hands and heads are doubles. Is it possible for you to make it more clearly? With those unnecessary things the game is making at last two atlases for it. I'm not good in spritter jet so when I was trying to delete it by myself the game wasn't making any atlas.

• Like 1

21177lu.jpg

You forgot about one small emote right after making angry face. It appears only by very short time, but it still looks incomplete. Also there are a lot unnecessary faces in folder "face" (like no.16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27) and some hands and heads are doubles. Is it possible for you to make it more clearly? With those unnecessary things the game is making at last two atlases for it. I'm not good in spritter jet so when I was trying to delete it by myself the game wasn't making any atlas.

This template is based on what I decompiled from the standard character builds. I'm not quite what sure what the developers planned to do with the duplicates and unused sprites they've added.

I was also unable to reproduce the missing emote face you're showing.

• Like 1

I don't know for sure. Either you haven't drawn the face, or the atlas did not compile correctly. There seems to be a certain atlas size that causes the latter to happen, which has a chance to happen if some parts are deleted from this template.

EDIT: There does seem to be something strange about the anger emote. I'll look into what is causing this.

I tried moving my mod to singleplayer mods but it seems like the compiler only compiles images folders in mods and not anim ones for me. Any fix?

I'm making a mod for Calvin and Hobbes if someone can make animations for Calvin that would be amazing.

I'm sorry, I'm really REALLY new to mod-making (just started today).

What goes in the bin for the animation? Do I compile all of the individual arms/legs/etc into one bin? Or am I getting ahead of myself?

Thank you so much for the sample character, it really helps!

I would like to continuously say, thank you on behalf of everyone who has not, your work has benefited the don't starve community outright. though I cannot work on my mod right now, when I get a new tablet this template will help with the continued work.

Has this been updated for the DST Reign of Giants update? I can't seem to get my custom speech to work, and going over everything in the files it appears to be fine, other than missing lines for RoG exclusive items but my eyes could just be skipping over them.