7 Screenshots

About This File

UPDATED YET AGAIN, AGAIN! Re-download Weston if you downloaded him before 1/6/2015! (I gave him his own custom voice sounds!)

Westonpreview.png

Adds Weston to the list of playable characters.

Weston is just a fun little character mod I thought of a while back, and wanted to see in the game. He was very close to being finished for the longest time, but I had to cease work on him due to certain circumstances (college work overload, Don't Starve deciding it doesn't want to run anymore, etc.). Since the quarter is finally over and Don't Starve is working again, I decided to finish him up and release him!

------------------------------------------

Weston's stats are as follows:

Hunger: 150

Health: 150

Sanity: 200

Here are Weston's perks:

PROS:

+ Weston is COMPLETELY immune to overheating! Enjoy those summers without sweltering!

+ Weston is covered in sharp spines! This means that if you take damage as Weston, your attacker receives 15 damage back for hitting you! Your punches are also MUCH stronger than normal (but weapons and tools do normal damage, with the exception of one...)

CONS:

- Weston may like the heat, but he does NOT like fire. He takes a whopping 3x normal damage from fire, so stay away from it at all times!

- Weston does not like the cold. Summers may be awesome, but winters will be brutal, because Weston freezes a lot faster than other characters. Watch out during the spring, as well--Don't let Weston get too wet, or he may start freezing.

NEUTRAL:

- The flower on top of Weston's head attracts insects (Mostly bees and butterflies).

Cool stuff in this mod:

+ A whole new character to play as (obviously).

+ TONS of custom dialogue lines written just for Weston (For regular game AND RoG!)

+ High-Quality character art! (400 Resolution!)

+ A custom minimap icon!

+ (As of 1/6/2015) BRAND NEW TOTALLY-CUSTOM SPEECH SOUND!

Tips while playing as Weston:

<> STOCKPILE!: Weston is a unique character in the sense that he is 100% immue to overheating. Use this to your advantage. You will have a terrible time in winter, but you get THREE WHOLE SEASONS to gather supplies! Use your time wisely.

<> HUNT BUTTERFLIES!: That wasn't a joke. Weston has a unique quirk that no other character has at their disposal--being able to attract insects. Butterflies will come right to you when you're near, and you can swat them down for easy health and hunger points.

<> AVOID KILLER BEES!: This may seem like something that's obvious, but killer bees are a very real threat to Weston, ESPECIALLY in the spring. The killer bees have a MUCH larger detection range now that they're attracted to your flower. They'll come to pollinate... But will stay to sting you silly.

Known Bugs:

Supposedly, certain computers display black boxes as the player model instead of Weston's model, but I don't have any idea which computers this pertains to. These appear to be isolated incidents, and most of the time, the character should work normally.

If you DO have this issue, I recommend downloading the version that sacrifices some of the art quality for performance, which can be found on this page, along with this mod: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36119-weston-the-wandering-cactus-character-mod/?p=474253

Using Weston with the Reign of Giants DLC:

Weston was made with the Reign of Giants DLC in mind, thus he is perfectly compatible with it. Not only that, but he will work 100% with the regular game as well!

Author's Comments:

Thank you all so much for supporting me and my mods. This is probably the last Don't Starve mod that I will be doing for a while, as there is a ton of other things going on right now in my life that need to be taken care of. This probably won't be my last Don't Starve mod, but it will be a while before I do another, most likely.

Once again, I'd like to thank Mr. Tiddles for help with coding, as well as basically the entire Don't Starve modding community. I couldn't have done this without their help.

Thank you all, and have fun not starving!

-Spookers the Spoo (AKA: Thunder Volts)

HOW TO INSTALL:

- Download the file and unzip it.

- Go to Local Disk (C:)/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/dont_starve/mods

- If you are using the stand-alone version of Don't Starve instead of the Steam version, go to Local Disk (C:)/Program Files (x86)/DontStarve/mods

- Take the folder from the file you just unzipped and place it in the "mods" folder.

- Open the game, choose Weston from the mods list, activate, apply, and start a new game

- Enjoy

Copyright 2014 Spookers the Spoo/Thunder Volts.  This item is not authorized for posting on Steam, except under the Steam account named Thunder Volts (http://steamcommunity.com/id/thundervolts).

What's New in Version   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

he doesn't have a selection screen image its just a black box and the save screen image just doesn't exist and the same for your other 2 mods

Share this comment

He could have a high unarmed damage and cannot use tools, so we have to make tools specially for him, and he would not use weapons( I'm saying this because he has no hands, so...) I think it would be cool, and maybe, he could plant himself, it would work like the bush hat

Share this comment

Tengo un problema, cuando hago un nuevo mundo al jugar me aparece toda de color *****(black). Si puedo jugar sin problemas pero se ve completamente de color *****(black)

Share this comment

Make the fire damage less, if you want to. Cacti have water inside of them so they should take less dmg from fire.

The freezing seems good though,

Share this comment

What's the name of the character on the left?

Waxworth the Living Candle ^^ Look in steam workshop

Share this comment

I download the mod and unzipped(I use a mac) but when i enter in the steam paste on the computer, doesnt show up the dont starve paste, so i cant put the mod. can you please put the mod in a steam page online?

Share this comment

I've noticed quite serious bug with Weston (possibly appeared after latest update to DS, but not sure as I wasn't playing with him before) - all "weak-hitting" tools that doesn't lose durability when used for fight (umbrella, fish rod, etc) inherit his punch damage. It means that hitting enemies with those tools is not only free (no durability loss), but incredibly powerful - without speed being sacrificed.

If you have problems with fixing this, I would suggest just getting rid of this perk all-together - he seem strong enough (as in, balanced) with his other specials, and he doesn't necessary need Fist of Doom that is as strong - if not stronger - than Wigfrid's spear, with just a little less damage per second (but more DPS than normal spear...).
---

That said, overall, it is really great character! I love how suiting his "voice" is, and voerall, he just feels very natural in Don't Starve, like "canon" character. Good job.

/Estel

Share this comment