• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

33 Screenshots

About This File

111mglk_jpg.png

“Hero in the Dark” – Is a traditional fantasy mod This mod will incorporate traditional fantasy elements and lore while retaining the artistic style and the survive or die elements of Don’t Starve. A large focus of the lore and design of the mod will be from D&D and other games/books within the genre. Barbarians, shadow knights, druids, Necromancers etc etc

The goals of this mod are to make an alternate form of Don’t Starve, not to add on to its current game. We have added in creatures, events, more lvs, boss mobs, items, dungeons, unique leveling system, 12 playable character(not all characters are in yet)s, 100's of new recipes etc.

Here is the first version of Beta. We are still looking for more artists coders and people to help with character scripts to join our team. We need things from Characters, items, monsters, terrain etc We are currently looking for 2 to 3 artists/animators and 1 to 2 people to help with character scripting. If you are interested please send me a pm.

(Note: this is still in Beta, we are still missing some artwork and character scripts, I am not posting this to steam as of yet)

(Note: if you are using a controller, you must disable spell books. To do this, hit the configure button on the mod page inside the game and turn off spell books)

Please give feedback within this thread and bug reports here or in a PM to me. Don't forget to follow our mod and rate it!

We now have our own sub forum here

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/64-mod-collaboration-hero-in-the-dark/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/33476-mod-hero-in-the-dark/

We now have our own Wiki !

http://hero-in-the-dark.wikia.com/wiki/Hero_in_the_Dark_Wiki

What's New in Version Beta 0.03   See changelog

Released

• Beta 0.03
  • bugfixes
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hey Guys I Download the mod and entered the game . When I click the mods its saying (Mod Crushed !) How can I fix that problem please help.  (sorry for bad english :3)

After having played it for a few hours, I rather enjoy this mod. It's an overhaul mod that actually pushes new content in my face to have to interact with. It doesn't have the Up and Away problem where I have to actively seek out the content, which just leads to me playing the game as I always have, ignoring all the new stuff.

I do have a few minor problems with it, though, so in the spirit of constructive criticism, here are they:

1) Some of the new systems are a little obtuse. I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to craft any of the fancy new armors, which means I ended up dying a lot because all my old reliable armors are now useless.

2) Goblins b op, man. Useless log armor would be problematic enough if the gobz didn't have bizarrely high amounts of health, hit unusually hard compared to other base game mobs, attack in huge swarms, and pester you from day one, before you can get all the fancy stuff needed to fight them.

3) The art. It's... not the best. A few things could stand to be redrawn. 

4) D'you think you could, at some point in the future, release a seperate version of the mod that doesn't have all the custom characters? This is purely a personal thing, as I just like to play as characters I've made all the time, so a version that doesn't have all the unused megabytes would be nice for weirdos like me.

That's about it. Best of luck on this thing!

(Side thing: I'm semi-experienced in Spriter and doing arts. If you need someone to do some creature design/animation, just give me a call, I suppose.)

After having played it for a few hours, I rather enjoy this mod. It's an overhaul mod that actually pushes new content in my face to have to interact with. It doesn't have the Up and Away problem where I have to actively seek out the content, which just leads to me playing the game as I always have, ignoring all the new stuff.

I do have a few minor problems with it, though, so in the spirit of constructive criticism, here are they:

1) Some of the new systems are a little obtuse. I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to craft any of the fancy new armors, which means I ended up dying a lot because all my old reliable armors are now useless.

2) Goblins b op, man. Useless log armor would be problematic enough if the gobz didn't have bizarrely high amounts of health, hit unusually hard compared to other base game mobs, attack in huge swarms, and pester you from day one, before you can get all the fancy stuff needed to fight them.

4) D'you think you could, at some point in the future, release a seperate version of the mod that doesn't have all the custom characters? This is purely a personal thing, as I just like to play as characters I've made all the time, so a version that doesn't have all the unused megabytes would be nice for weirdos like me.

(Side thing: I'm semi-experienced in Spriter and doing arts. If you need someone to do some creature design/animation, just give me a call, I suppose.)

1) Early game, you'll want to find them...crafting is for later. Also, old armors are still good for the beginning as long as you don't rush into swarms of ennemies. Every char can survive quite easily : barb is so strong you'll not have that much troubles to beat your ennemies down. druid can heal with spells. pally have self heal ability and shields. cleric have heal spells and shields. dk have leeching and shields(?) and the wizard does not need armor(lel).

2)goblins are not base game mob, they are meant to be mid game(unless you're experienced enough ;) ). Also, they stay at their home.

3)i guess your talking of the placeholders?

4) wow, that's weird, i have to admit. Usually, people ask to remove old chars, not the opposite(i find that weird too :p )...

Also, for your side thing. I suggest to wait for krak to come here ;)

To answer your questions / statements :D

1. It was designed that way, for players that want to experiment to find new recipes early vs those who want to find the recipes or buy them. The are mid to late game for the most part, so players will can be rewarded for experimenting or they can wait until they can buy the recipe book/ recipes.

2. The goblins are mid game and later mobs, they are put there to harass the player at lower levels, they are stinky goblins after all.

3. what art are you talking about? there are a couple placeholders in still but not many.

4. not gonna happen, why would we spend time creating another branch of our mod that takes out a main part of our mod that artists put hours and hours of their personal time into making? The entire mod is designed around our mod characters, we still allow other custom characters to be played but you will most likely be at a disadvantage while playing them. 

(side note) do you have any examples that we could take a look at? 

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback and input :)

The mod crashed...

I am working on the latest Reign of Giants version of Don't Starve and I only have "Display food values" mod installed and running.
I tried to change the API version, to arrange the code of the mod, but all I can get (the best) is a normal mod menu without crash or things like this, and when I activate the mod, it crashes but more violently (with a try catch). If you have any idea, it will be likely for you to help me :/

The mod crashed...

I am working on the latest Reign of Giants version of Don't Starve and I only have "Display food values" mod installed and running.

I tried to change the API version, to arrange the code of the mod, but all I can get (the best) is a normal mod menu without crash or things like this, and when I activate the mod, it crashes but more violently (with a try catch). If you have any idea, it will be likely for you to help me :/

Give us a log file or a crash screen.

is there going to be an update that allows you to incorporate custom characters from other popular mods (beatrice, puppy princess, ect) and still keep the overall aspect of this mods' features?(leveling system, character naming, events, recipes ect) im a HUGE fan of this mod and if you need artwork or anything ill be down to assist when im off from work... :D

is there going to be an update that allows you to incorporate custom characters from other popular mods (beatrice, puppy princess, ect) and still keep the overall aspect of this mods' features?(leveling system, character naming, events, recipes ect) im a HUGE fan of this mod and if you need artwork or anything ill be down to assist when im off from work... :grin:

Nope, that is not in our plans, but we still made players able to use other custom characters if they wanted to. 

There will be some more characters added to our mod project soon ;)

• Like 1

i undersand.... but starter item overrides you have also take presidence over the other mod's starter items. D: plus as a suggestion is their a aura script that you can give the dark knight that makes flower turn evil? i feel that its something that ANY evil person has the power to do when they enter something as pure as a flowers presence; correupt it :p. plus i noticed that he still takes a sanity hit when planting evil flowers also!

i undersand.... but starter item overrides you have also take presidence over the other mod's starter items. D: plus as a suggestion is their a aura script that you can give the dark knight that makes flower turn evil? i feel that its something that ANY evil person has the power to do when they enter something as pure as a flowers presence; correupt it :razz:. plus i noticed that he still takes a sanity hit when planting evil flowers also!

I have no idea what you are talking about with the "item overrides" starter items are defined per character typically, our mod characters should not override other mod characters, neither does the mod override base game characters starter items. 

Planting evil flowers is not a base game mechanic, you must be using a mod that allows that, that is not part of our mod project, so we don't have control over that.

The SK is not finished, there will be some things linked to his evil sword ;)

this isn't working for me! i can never get the mod to work and i really want to play it!!! does anyone know what to do? (i use a apple desktop)

this isn't working for me! i can never get the mod to work and i really want to play it!!! does anyone know what to do? (i use a apple desktop)

Yeah, you could say what's going on and even show a picture of the error screen!

i hope that someday you make this for don't starve together. Also I love the mod only crash i get is from useing the shelters but i can live with that (thank god for sleeping bags). also have a nice day people of the klei forums.

i hope that someday you make this for don't starve together. Also I love the mod only crash i get is from useing the shelters but i can live with that (thank god for sleeping bags). also have a nice day people of the klei forums.

Glad you enjoy the mod, If you get any crashes, post them in our bug sub forums please. As for the DST I have answered that many times on the steam and the klei forums.

Great mod so far! but I have come across an issue. I'll outline it for you

1. Be Monk,

2. Befriend pig with monster meat (found pig camp near orc camp, but I doubt it's the orcs)

3. try to stand near pig for sanity gain

4. lag....a lot.

That's all folks, I'll post more bugs or issues as I come across them, would love to see this one resolved as pigs are my main sanity gain mechanism.