• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

2 Screenshots

About This File

Please download this via steam (from http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222076729) if you can. That way it will automatically update when I fix bugs and add new pets. If you get it from here you'll need to manually re-check this page yourself.

_____     _        |  __ \   | |       | |__) |__| |_ ___  |  ___/ _ \ __/ __| | |  |  __/ |_\__ \ |_|   \___|\__|___/  v0.7.1 [ALPHA]

--==>> Pets Readme

--==>> SteamWorkshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222076729

--==>> Download Page: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/457-pets/

==Now works with both both vanilla DS and RoG DLC!==

Finding the harsh world of Don't Starve a little lonely? Want a companion to share in the highs and lows of your journey? I did - so I added pets. Figured a few other people might be interested so here it is, uploaded for anyone to enjoy. Be warned though, your pets will need looking after. Still it's worth the effort to have a companion join you on your journey.

== HOW TO TAME:

- Feed a tameable wild animal 4 serves of a food they like and they'll be tamed. To feed an animal just place the food on the ground and let them eat it.

== Tameable animals:

···> Rabbit (winter & summer - once tamed your pet rabbit won't change colour with season)

···> Spider (only the regular spider currently, might add warrior/cave variants later)

···> Bat

···> Pengull

···> Hounds (regular, fire, ice)

···> Gobbler

···> Slurtle

···> Snurtle

== Fine details:

- Pets have both health and hunger, you will need to feed and heal them to keep them alive

- Mouse over them to get their hunger/health status

- Once tamed, pets no longer eat food off the ground, you have to feed them yourself (they're well trained)

- You can pickup your pet and carry it round in your bags (helpful to keep them from being killed in fights)

- When you feed your hungry pets you'll gain 5 sanity

- Every time your pet is attacked you'll lose 1 sanity

- If your pet dies you'll lose sanity. The older your pet the more sanity lost (20 for new pets, 100 after ~25 days)

- If you kill a wild animal of the same type as your pet you will lose 5 sanity

- Some (but not all) pets will help you fight like hired pigs do

- Tamed animals are smaller than their wild counterparts

== Future plans:

- Add ability to tame more animals

- Add tougher taming requirements for certain pets

- Increase the required food to keep bigger pets happy

- Add pet specific behaviours (find food/treasure, help chop trees or mine)

- Add rare spawn pet specific creatures like cats, for the ultimate in furry pet goodness

What's New in Version 0.7.1   See changelog

Released

• v0.7.1
  • - Fixes to make it work with RoG update
  • Like 1
  • Wavey 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The mod version on here does not work with RoG, however the steam workshop version works with RoG.

Uploaded a new RoG compatible version.  If you still have any issues with this version please post your error message.

I don't know why - you'll have to tell me!  What's the error?  What are you doing when it happens?  What version of the game are you running and what version of the mod?  Seems to be working for the thousands of people using it on steam at the moment, and it works great for me.

You should work with Heavenfall he has the summons mod would be great addon for his mod

What I think you should add to the AMAZING mod is more pets like the Tree Guard, DeerClops, Bees, Butterflies, Birds And Bearded bunnies( When Insane). Also I think you should add a animal pen and a aquarium and tank to have Pet Fish. and to keep them in and to stop them from going down into caves and also you should add a food bowl/dish so that you don't have to feed them by hand. Also if you catch a bunny in a trap if you feed it rabbits in your inventory slot it should be auto tamed. Thank you for the amazing mod and for making my don't starve world even better. 

... more pets like the Tree Guard, DeerClops, Bees, Butterflies, Birds ...

Sadly I can only make animals that eat food into pets.  Treeguards, Deerclops and so on don't eat, so cannot be tamed.  There isn't any way to feed/trade with those creatures so you have no way of making friends with them.  I don't want to make an item that just tames animals on command, because that's essentially just slavery.  I also don't want to make any new items because I can't draw haha.  As much as I'd love a treeguard pet, until the DS developers draw a Treeguard eating animation, and add the logic for it to eat logs off the ground I can't add it.  Sorry.

There is an annoying crash with slurtle(maybe even snurtle) that crashes the game when it trys to go into its shell...

Attempt to call method "SetAbsorbArmor"

(Hope the mod ain't dead...)

Hey, Im not sure if your working on this mod alot but.

There seems to be a tendency of crashes from Slurtles (Possibly Snurtles too) go into there shell when attacked multiple

times.Cant have a reliable army of snails if they tend to crash into battles :p

I really hope you can fix this!

:D

make a version without the sanity loss....

it's so anoying have a pet spider when you CANT KILL OTHERS SPIDERS WITHOUT LOSS 5 SANITY! .-.