• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Pickle It 1.3.2

1 Screenshot

About This File

Pickle your foods to make them last longer!

The Don't Starve Together (DST) version of Pickle It: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/1123-pickle-it-dst-version/

This mod is also available in the Steam Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196051302

Pickle Barrel:

• Allows pickling of food
  • Craftable on the Science Machine
  • Takes 1.5 days to fully pickle food
  • Currently pickles: beet, berries, carrot, cabbage, corn, cucumber, eggplant, egg, fish, mushroom, onion, pigs foot, pumpkin, radish, watermelon

New Vegetables:

• Added: beet, cabbage, cucumber, onion, potato, radish
  • Grow on farms
  • Have a random chance of growing from generic seeds (except potato)
  • Can be fed to birds for veggie-specific seeds (except potato)
  • Potatoes are grown on farms by planting potatoes (not seeds). Harvesting potatoes from a farm will yield 1-3 potatoes.
  • Can be cooked on a fire for the cooked version of each veggie
  • Beets, onions, potatoes, and radishes grow wild in the world (Pickle It needs to be active at world gen)
  • Wild potatoes must be dug up with a Shovel

New Items:

• Pigs feet: 1-2 dropped by pigs; can be cooked, dried, and pickled
  • Pickle sword: craftable on the Science Machine in the Fight tab

We aim to balance the Pickle Barrel so that it isn't overpowered. While it makes food last longer, there is a trade-off with the pickled versions of most foods.

If you have any feedback or ideas, please leave a comment!

What's New in Version 1.3.2   See changelog

Released

• Crash fix [Version 1.3.2
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Would you please give an example or two of before and after the pickling process with regards to stat gain upon eating, and the self-life of the food?

• Like 1

@Ortorin So far we've tried to keep the pickled food close to the uncooked versions, but extend its shelf life considerably. Currently we've bumped the shelf life up to match the "preserved" time for other preserved style foods in game. We also added a small sanity hit for some of the pickled foods, because traditionally pickled foods were made out of necessity rather than enjoyment. We're definitely game for tuning further and will be keeping an eye out for comments about our foods being under powered or over powered and will tweak as needed.

My biggest concern right now is that the barrel recipe itself might be too cumbersome to have pickling be useful for the first winter, which is our goal. Be sure to let us know if you have any balancing suggestions.

Food for thought(pun unintended): Consider adding tweaks to the fridge so pickling is more necessary since the fridge already preserves food well.

@Luggs I'd hate to weaken the fridge though; I don't think most folks would like that. Since the fridge takes gears to make it its a bit more end game and some people won't have it for their first winter. Plus a fridge isn't portable so for long trips to the caves a stack of pickles could come in handy.

what is the use of pickled mush.. sorry but i dont get it...is it useful or what???i really dont know what to do with it..

(other than making it as fertilizer) and all i get is pickled mush

Nice mods though,,,i really love the new veges...:)

I like this mod, of course it needs some balancing, as all pickled food is worse than fresh, I don't think it is right. We could use some pickled food in Cook Pot, it make sense, just like we dry meat to preserve it and use it after.

And I found that werepigs and pigs after being werepigs loose pigs feet as loot, so I fixed it:

diff -r -u PickleIt/modmain.lua PickleIt_fixed/modmain.lua--- PickleIt/modmain.lua	2013-11-23 10:24:32.000000000 +0200+++ PickleIt_fixed/modmain.lua	2014-03-04 22:12:30.991028931 +0200@@ -45,11 +45,17 @@  AddMinimapAtlas("images/inventoryimages/pickle_barrel.xml") --- Add a loot drop to pigmen-local function AddPigLoot(prefab)+local function AddPigLootInternal(prefab) 	prefab.components.lootdropper:AddChanceLoot('pigs_foot',1) 	prefab.components.lootdropper:AddChanceLoot('pigs_foot',.5) end +-- Add a loot drop to pigmen+local function AddPigLoot(prefab)+    AddPigLootInternal(prefab)+    prefab:ListenForEvent("transformwere", AddPigLootInternal)+    prefab:ListenForEvent("transformnormal", AddPigLootInternal)+end+ AddPrefabPostInit("pigman", AddPigLoot) AddPrefabPostInit("pigguard", AddPigLoot)

@NabellaLyn777 Pickled Mush is basically like any other rotten food. It behaves very similarly. Things that aren't picklable become mush because we haven't had the time to make everything in the game picklable, and things that are nearly decayed will result in mush because putting nearly rotten food in vinegar doesn't magically make it fresh again.

@unixway Not all pickled food is worse off, and honestly who likes to eat some of these pickled foods vs. their original? The advantage is that all of the pickled foods last a lot longer than their original version. So you're trading a sanity hit for some of these, or slightly lower gains for a longer lasting food. Much like in real life with pickled foods vs. non-pickled ones, they lose some of their nutrients.

Thanks for the werepig fix, if you could submit that as a pull request on github that'd be awesome. You can find the mod on github here: https://github.com/mariewest/Pickle-It-Dont-Starve-Mod

Yes, thanks, I figured it out that not all food is worse ^_^. But still pickled food looses some more advantages, as dried meat(also monster) I can feed to pigs and birds. Some new recipes for crock pot may demand usage of pickled food(I don't know, I am not a chef) or old recipes permit usage of some pickled items, as this is normal way to remove sanity penalty in this game. For example I very often use monster jerky and mushrooms in crock pot.

However It is one of the best mods anyway, I hope to see more veggies!

I had pulled request.

• Like 1

@unixway I merged your pull request, and we'll push to Steam later tonight.

It looks like we'll be doing some more work on Pickle It soon. We have some neat ideas for additional content, and I think we'll visit crockpot recipes too. They've been on our list of things to add, but we got distracted by other games for a while. With RoG coming and people being so interested in Pickle It, it's sparked our interest again though, so hopefully we'll find the time and motivation to work on the mod a bit more.

Very nice mod, but my pickled food can't be cooked in crock pot, why?

I'm assuming this is intentional, but I'd like to tweak it myself. If the new plants are cookable when raw, then I'm assuming it's the way you handled their coding? Was it really necessary to make separate prefab files for each new food, rather than just adding them to the veggies.lua since that keeps the cooked versions of veggies useable in the crockpot?