• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

William J. Danninghar: Alchemy 4 Dummies

12 Screenshots

About This File

Does not work with Reign of Giants DLC

Steam workshop version working again. Get it at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191575745

NEW ENTRY TO WILLIAM'S BACKSTORY!

Check out the Deviantart account I made of William for weekly updates on his backstory and concept arts of his upcoming/current/past inventions or appearances!

There's also a picture of him when he was in his early 30s or so, so check it out to see William with a small beard - AND A FULL, LUSHIOUS HEAD OF HAIR!

http://williamjdanningha.deviantart.com/

Click the link to check out plans for future updates and feel free to vote for the stats you want to see one of the future items have!

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/30069-william-all-purpose-topic/#entry380060

Take a look at this Mod Spotlight by a swell chap named Jon, of Jardev!

New update (Alchemy 4 Dummies) now out, adding many new crafting recipes! Robots are now much harder to craft but they've been made much stronger as well!

I'll be doing a comic-kind-of-thing bout William's past. I'll also be adding more to his speech that'll hint to his background.

New HD textures for Wil, and has a new, much higher quality piano voice (played horribly by yours truly :razz:)!

See STATS for info about the Wrenches, Potions, robot, and William himself!

Fixed the Blueprints dissappearing without summoning a robot when the player doesn't have enough gears!

I love making mods for Don't Starve. Mostly just testing out all the possible perks, stats, etc. So, here's one of my personal favorites!

William J. Danninghar was an inventor - much like Wilson. But his interests were more into robots and mechanical stuff. He now finds himself in a strange, unfamiliar place full of creatures beyond his wildest imaginings.

STATS:

-Slower than most characters by just a small bit.

-Is weaker than most characters.

+Starts off with 5 gears and a cane

Average hunger

-Low health

+Very high sanity

+Already knows the Science machine recipes (like Wickerbottom)

+Very slow passive health regen.

+Has a 0.1x armour bonus

+Enters Nightmare Form when sanity is below 45.

Nightmare Form stats (that differ from normal William's)

+150 health

+ Deals more damage

+Replaces science bonus with magic bonus (Prestihatilator recipes become available)

+Gets a cool new voice

-Hunger depletes significantly faster.

You need to craft mechanical what-not (a new item) and a shell for the specific robot to creat your robot. These pieces are found in the Refine tab!

You can use a hammer or wrench to tell your companion to leave you alone and then feed them a carrot (seeds for reapers) or gears to heal them and make them follow you again!

Mechanical Butler:

Controlled by a rabbit

+High health

+Helps mind and chop trees.

+Can heal with carrots

+The controlling rabbit will run out of the robot when it dies

+emits smoke

+Acts as a container.

-slowish movement speed

+Becomes Nightmare Butler when player's sanity is below 100.

Mechanical Reaper:

Controlled by a crow

+Teleports away from combat if attacked

+Can heal with gears

+The controlling crow will fly out of the robot when it dies

+Very fast attack speed

-Modertate-low health

-Low-med damage

Mechanical Brute:

Controlled by a rabbit

+Very high health

+High damage

+Can heal with gears

+The controlling rabbit will run out of the robot when it dies

-Very slow attack speed

-Slow movement speed

+Becomes Nightmare Brute when player's sanity is below 100.

Craftable Wrenches! And special back-pack (which doesn't actually store things, it's armour)

Pointy Wrench:

Craftabe under science. Requires Alchemy Engine.

Deals 51 damage.

Has 150 uses.

Can be used as mining pick.

Nightmare Wrench:

Craftable under Magic. Requires Prestihatilator.

Deals 65 damage.

150 uses.

Can be used as mining pick.

Drains sanity when equipped.

Regain 2.5 sanity on hit.

Mechanic's back-up:

Blocks 75 damage

1050 durability

Can be activated to turn it into a shield via extending plates to block 100 damage (treeguards still do 1 damage)

Has neat effects

Potions:

Concentrated Nightmare Fuel:

Craftable under Magic. Requires Alchemy Engine.

Instantly sets sanity to 0, activating William's Nightmare Form.

Bottle of Happiness:

Craftable under Magic. Requires Alchemy Engine.

Regains a large amount of sanity.

Elemental Mixererer is required for the De-life-inator (gun) and the Heart of Phlogiston (sword) It can be found in Refine!

Guns:

The flintlock mechanism can be found in refine.

Flintlock pistol

requires flintlock mechanism.

High damage.

Long range

10 uses

De-life-inator

Requires Elemental mixererer

Summons a stationary Terror Claw to fight the target if in-range

50 uses

Med range

Med damage

FIRE SET:

Heart of Phlogiston:

Requires Elemental Mixererer

Slow attack speed

ignites targets

Deals 72 damage and 77 to burnable targets

HotHead's Braincase:

High protection

Has a chance to ignite attackers

Pyromaniac's Evening Wear:

High protection

Wearer is almost immune to fire

Glowy

Very, very, very high insulation

BRINGY-BACKY-2-LIFE SYSTEM

Works like the meat effigy, but takes less health from William. The normal meat effigy will leave William at full health when built, this will leave him with much more.

When resurrected, player starts off with less sanity and hunger than the Meat effigy.

His speech is currently a slightly modified Wickerbottom speech. This will be changed further in time.

What's New in Version Alchemy 4 Dummies

Released

• Added craftable robot.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@brainchill It's still very much in development. Are there any specific improvements you'd like me to make in the next version?

Hi! I like this character (what I see in screenshots) and his special item. But I have an error when I try to play with him.
In the character select screen William does not apear, a duplicate of another mod character apear (in my case, a second Wilhelm, the living doll apear) You know how to fix it? I am very interested in playing with your mod :)

Thank you!! 

Hi! I like this character (what I see in screenshots) and his special item. But I have an error when I try to play with him.

In the character select screen William does not apear, a duplicate of another mod character apear (in my case, a second Wilhelm, the living doll apear) You know how to fix it? I am very interested in playing with your mod :-)

Thank you!!

Since his file names are "wil", maybe Wilhelm's file names are as well. So they may be incompatible. If you want to play as William, you'll have to disable Wilhelm and restart the game. And do the same for William if you want to play as Wilhelm. Sorry.

Quick question, since I haven't played this guy in a while: Does he have custom quotes (as in 100% of the strings file is full)? Because the last time a lot of the quotes were Wickerbottom's and that kinds set me off a bit.

Some of the quotes are still Wickerbottom's. I have changed and still am changing more. Some will stay eitehr the same or be very similar, since he too knows many things.

I found a bug which crashes the game: If you hammer your butler without anything in his hidden(shiftclick)storage crashes the game.

Probably due to that bug being fixed in the newest version. I must have left something behind that's causing problems.

I just noticed that the mining animation for William is the same animation for chopping trees, and using an axe as a weapon uses the club animation. Would this be caused by the mod, or is this a game bug?

Small typo, whenever you examine chester it says 

"a motile storage device"

which i assume you mean mobile

Small typo, whenever you examine chester it says 

"a motile storage device"

which i assume you mean mobile

I haven't gotten to that line yet. That line is the same as Wickernottom's.

I just noticed that the mining animation for William is the same animation for chopping trees, and using an axe as a weapon uses the club animation. Would this be caused by the mod, or is this a game bug?

I made that. I thought, since he's an old man who isn't very fit, it would make more sense if he used two hands with weapons, and didn't jump really high whenever he swung a pickaxe. I had to use the pickaxe animation for him swinigng weapons because there are no good "two-handed" animations that would look good with a weapon.

I would recommend equipping your cane and clicking on your desired target AND then using your gun. Some enemies (such as Tallbirds) attack the first things to attack them and won't change targets.

Just like'd to say, the gun is a bit OP, it 2-shots almost everything in the game  :razz:

It deals pretty much the same damage as the blowdart. It just has more uses and much longer range, along with a crafting recipe that makes you unable to use it until you've killed enough hounds.