smooth-landing

• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Shank 2 - Steam Beta for Linux and Mac OS!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Wade

Wade
  • Super Moderator

• 4741 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hey everybody!

Good news, Shank 2 will Soon be available on Steam for Mac and Linux OS!

Attached File  Shank2ComingMacLinux.png   171.78KB   86 downloads

Currently, we are just in the final beta testing stage to ensure that the Multiplayer and Steam functionality for the Mac and Linux versions are all working without issue.

Anyone who currently owns the PC version of Shank 2, or received a Steam Key in the latest Humble Indie Bundle 7 is invited to join the Beta, and access the Linux and Mac versions before their final Steam release.

All we ask, is that you please report any bugs\issues that you find in this forum, so that we can arrange to have them fixed to provide the best experience possible.

To access the Beta:
1. In the Steam Store on Mac or Linux, purchase a copy of Shank 2, or use your Steam Key from the recent Humble Indie Bundle to access the game.
2. Select the "Install" option on the Shank 2 Store page.
3. Right-click on Shank 2 in your Library, and select "Properties".
4. Select the "Betas" tab in Properties, and change the drop-down option to "Beta".
5. Your Shank 2 game should now automatically update to the Beta version.
6. Start up the game and enjoy!

Thanks everybody! :-P

#2 Yulike

Yulike

• 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hey, This is epic, I've played for about an hour and here are the bugs I have found:1. The game grabs the mouse and will not let go unless you exit (This is annoying when playing in Windowed mode)2. You can't alt+tab or switch workspace (Annoying in fullscreen mode)3. Fullscreen doesn't work properly - getting all sorts of graphical glitches (This happens after switching to Windowed then back to Fullscreen)My Specs;
 Processor Information:    Vendor:  GenuineIntel    Speed: 2399 Mhz    4 logical processors    2 physical processors    HyperThreading:  Supported    FCMOV:  Supported    SSE2:  Supported    SSE3:  Supported    SSSE3:  Supported    SSE4a:  Unsupported    SSE41:  Supported    SSE42:  Supported    Network Information:    Network Speed:      Operating System Version:    Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (32 bit)    Kernel Name:  Linux    Kernel Version:  3.5.0-18-generic    X Server vendor:  The X.Org Foundation    X Server release:  11203000    Video Card:    Driver:  Intel Open Source Technology Center Mesa DRI Intel® Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2    Driver Version:  2.1 Mesa 9.1-devel    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz    VendorID:  0x8086    DeviceID:  0x46    Number of Monitors:  1    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1    Primary Display Resolution:  1366 x 768    Desktop Resolution: 1366 x 768    Primary Display Size: 13.54" x 7.64"  (15.51" diag)                                            34.4cm x 19.4cm  (39.4cm diag)    Primary VRAM Not Detected    Sound card:    Audio device: Intel IbexPeak HDMI    Memory:    RAM:  3828 Mb    Miscellaneous:    UI Language:  English    LANG:  en_GB.UTF-8    Microphone:  Not set    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  84483 Mb    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  32628 Mb
Thanks again! :D

#3 Soeb

Soeb

• 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Excluding those mentioned by Yulike, I've experienced a bug with controller support.Essentially, the controller works, but it's impossible to reconfigure it, with the setting always being changed to '-Z axis' when selecting an action. This happens with either xpad or xboxdrv drivers using a wired x360 pad, and the same behaviour has been confirmed by another user. This does not happen in other games, which leads me to believe it's not either the hardware being faulty nor the drivers screwing around.Here's my specs, though not exactly related:
 Processor Information:    Vendor:  GenuineIntel    Speed: 2666 Mhz    2 logical processors    2 physical processors    HyperThreading:  Unsupported    FCMOV:  Supported    SSE2:  Supported    SSE3:  Supported    SSSE3:  Supported    SSE4a:  Unsupported    SSE41:  Unsupported    SSE42:  Unsupported    Network Information:    Network Speed:      Operating System Version:    Ubuntu 12.10 (64 bit)    Kernel Name:  Linux    Kernel Version:  3.7.0-7-generic    X Server vendor:  The X.Org Foundation    X Server release:  11301901    Video Card:    Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 9600 GT/PCIe/SSE2    Driver Version:  3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.09    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz    VendorID:  0x10de    DeviceID:  0x622    Number of Monitors:  2    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1    Primary Display Resolution:  1280 x 1024    Desktop Resolution: 2560 x 1024    Primary Display Size: 14.80" x 11.85"  (18.94" diag)                                            37.6cm x 30.1cm  (48.1cm diag)    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x     Sound card:    Audio device: Realtek ALC883    Memory:    RAM:  5969 Mb    Miscellaneous:    UI Language:  English    LANG:  en_GB.UTF-8    Microphone:  Not set    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  394256 Mb    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  159559 Mb    
Additionally, could I possibly ask for XDG support? The first Shank uses it, so the save games for the two games are now in completely different places.

#4 thesmashingone

thesmashingone

• 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

For number one, try Control-G to release the mouse. If I recall correctly, that is intentional on Alternative Games' parts.EDIT: Also, where is the Mac version? I haven't seen it yet, so yeah. I'm willing to bet Steam is screwing with me right now.

Edited by thesmashingone, 05 February 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#5 Tuomas

Tuomas

• 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

1. The game grabs the mouse and will not let go unless you exit (This is annoying when playing in Windowed mode)

As thesmashingone mentioned, Ctrl-G grabs/ungrabs mouse cursor.

2. You can't alt+tab or switch workspace (Annoying in fullscreen mode)

This is a problem with SDL 1.2 so there's not much we can do about it unfortunately.

3. Fullscreen doesn't work properly - getting all sorts of graphical glitches (This happens after switching to Windowed then back to Fullscreen)

This is probably related to your video card. From our experience Intel cards and/or drivers tend to have some problems with OpenGL support.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

#6 Tuomas

Tuomas

• 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Excluding those mentioned by Yulike, I've experienced a bug with controller support.Essentially, the controller works, but it's impossible to reconfigure it, with the setting always being changed to '-Z axis' when selecting an action. This happens with either xpad or xboxdrv drivers using a wired x360 pad, and the same behaviour has been confirmed by another user. This does not happen in other games, which leads me to believe it's not either the hardware being faulty nor the drivers screwing around.

Actually this seems to be a problem with the Xbox360 controller. It has no hardware dead zones and once a trigger has been pushed it never reports 0 again. One can fix this by using xboxdrv and setting "trigger as button":
 xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --deadzone 5000 --deadzone-trigger 200
Play with the deadzone values until you find something that works well. You can then write a config file:
 [xboxdrv]deadzone=5000deadzone-trigger=200trigger-as-button=true
See xboxdrv man page/site (http://pingus.seul.o...rv/xboxdrv.html) for details.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

#7 Footissimo

Footissimo

• 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Evening!Another controller issue - had the same issue as Soeb, but I see that's been answered, however (using a standard xbox360 wired controller) I find that if I use the left joystick it occasionally takes me to the menu when I push it left or right. I can't see anything in the config..and it doesn't happen on other games (e.g. bastion, rochard). Seems to work fine if I use the D-pad instead of the joystick. Also some weirdness with the controller and going up and down ladders, but I need to try that out a little more.Specs:
 Processor Information:    Vendor:  AuthenticAMD    Speed: 3600 Mhz    4 logical processors    4 physical processors    HyperThreading:  Unsupported    FCMOV:  Supported    SSE2:  Supported    SSE3:  Supported    SSSE3:  Supported    SSE4a:  Supported    SSE41:  Supported    SSE42:  Supported    Network Information:    Network Speed:      Operating System Version:    Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (64 bit)    Kernel Name:  Linux    Kernel Version:  3.2.0-35-generic    X Server vendor:  The X.Org Foundation    X Server release:  11203000    Video Card:    Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2    Driver Version:  3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.14    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz    VendorID:  0x10de    DeviceID:  0x615    Number of Monitors:  1    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1    Primary Display Resolution:  1680 x 1050    Desktop Resolution: 1680 x 1050    Primary Display Size: 18.66" x 11.65"  (21.97" diag)                                            47.4cm x 29.6cm  (55.8cm diag)    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x     Sound card:    Audio device: VIA VT1708S    Memory:    RAM:  3937 Mb    Miscellaneous:    UI Language:  English    LANG:  en_GB.UTF-8    Microphone:  Not set    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  268802 Mb    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  185789 Mb    Installed software:    Recent Failure Reports:

#8 Tuomas

Tuomas

• 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

Evening!Another controller issue - had the same issue as Soeb, but I see that's been answered, however (using a standard xbox360 wired controller) I find that if I use the left joystick it occasionally takes me to the menu when I push it left or right. I can't see anything in the config..and it doesn't happen on other games (e.g. bastion, rochard). Seems to work fine if I use the D-pad instead of the joystick. Also some weirdness with the controller and going up and down ladders, but I need to try that out a little more.

This sounds really strange. The Xbox controller directional controllers are indeed also buttons, so if you "press" them a button press gets reported in addition to any sideways movement. However we can't think how this could cause an open menu event, that should only occur from the Esc key. You could try playing around with xboxdrv, unfortunately I don't have any other ideas.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

#9 Soeb

Soeb

• 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

This sounds really strange. The Xbox controller directional controllers are indeed also buttons, so if you "press" them a button press gets reported in addition to any sideways movement. However we can't think how this could cause an open menu event, that should only occur from the Esc key. You could try playing around with xboxdrv, unfortunately I don't have any other ideas.

This also happens to me with xpad. It's an issue with how the buttons are assigned - left stick is pause, so it's fairly easy to accidentally pause the game. I honestly do not believe this to be an issue with the drivers, but the implementation of controller support in the game itself. I can list a number of games that do not have this problem (including the original Shank), so it doesn't seem like xpad/xboxdrv screwing around.Another thing is, with xboxdrv --trigger-as-button running, the way the buttons are numbered is obviously changed (since triggers are inserted as 7, 8 or something like that), so that all the visual clues in the game (press start to grab an enemy, press back to pounce on an enemy) no longer apply.

#10 Footissimo

Footissimo

• 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

This also happens to me with xpad. It's an issue with how the buttons are assigned - left stick is pause, so it's fairly easy to accidentally pause the game. .

Ah...you're a star Soeb! My controller seems to register that ridiculously easily, may need a new controller, but I'll just leave that input empty for the time-being.Now, if I could just get it to reconfigure without it sticking to Z axis...

#11 thor27

thor27

• 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Actually this seems to be a problem with the Xbox360 controller. It has no hardware dead zones and once a trigger has been pushed it never reports 0 again. One can fix this by using xboxdrv and setting "trigger as button":

xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --deadzone 5000 --deadzone-trigger 200
Play with the deadzone values until you find something that works well. You can then write a config file:
 [xboxdrv]deadzone=5000deadzone-trigger=200trigger-as-button=true
See xboxdrv man page/site (http://pingus.seul.o...rv/xboxdrv.html) for details.

When you open jstest-gtk you can see that both axis starts in the middle, with 0, and once you press it goes back to -36727. That happens because most axis centers in the middle, but both triggers are full axis that actually centers in the beggining, that is -36727.It should be interesting if Shank 2 had a workaround for that, this is really show-stopper for beginners. Something like shank detected axis position when change button is clicked and consider this initial value to be "center", and actually detect the "next" change. For example: I click to change "range attack", shank detects that Z axis is at -36727, consider this the default position, user press a the axis and goes to 36727, maps this axis change to "range attack". Another option, is a "calibrate option", that calibrates all axis and buttons, first everything centered, and moves all axis, then everything centered again, so you can map how all axis works.

#12 thor27

thor27

• 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Still no vibration support. Even if it's working on many other games, shank doesn't works with force feedback.It's so hard to support this on linux?

#13 thesmashingone

thesmashingone

• 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Still no vibration support. Even if it's working on many other games, shank doesn't works with force feedback.It's so hard to support this on linux?

If it helps you, there's no vibration on Shank 2 Mac version with Tattiebogle drivers. Are you talking about Mac or Linux version?Additionally, Shank 2 Beta for Mac Steam appeared today, and I got it. I think its the same as Beta Update 8 of Shank 2 DRM-free edition, plus the Steamworks integration and achievements. If you've been playing the DRM-free version and want to transfer your save, you can. For Mac users, you must take both "savegame.sav" and "settings.sav" from "~/library/klei/Shank2/users". Then, launch the game once to enable Steam Cloud. Finally, copy those files into "~/library/application support/steam/userdata/<insert Steam Number here>/102840/remote/users/". When you start the game up, you'll get your previous game save onto the Steam version, and if you've unlocked some achievements, you'll get them retroactively!Can't say that these steps work for Linux, as well as if online play works yet.EDIT: Is anyone even playing online mode? Can't find anyone in a quick match...

Edited by thesmashingone, 07 February 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#14 Tuomas

Tuomas

• 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Unfortunately SDL 1.2 that Shank 2 uses for input doesn't support force feedback.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

#15 thor27

thor27

• 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

If it helps you, there's no vibration on Shank 2 Mac version with Tattiebogle drivers. Are you talking about Mac or Linux version?

I'm talking about the Linux version, sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Additionally, Shank 2 Beta for Mac Steam appeared today, and I got it. I think its the same as Beta Update 8 of Shank 2 DRM-free edition, plus the Steamworks integration and achievements.

Yes, it actualy looks like the HIB version with steam integration and network play.

If you've been playing the DRM-free version and want to transfer your save, you can. For Mac users, you must take both "savegame.sav" and "settings.sav" from "~/library/klei/Shank2/users". Then, launch the game once to enable Steam Cloud. Finally, copy those files into "~/library/application support/steam/userdata/<insert Steam Number here>/102840/remote/users/". When you start the game up, you'll get your previous game save onto the Steam version, and if you've unlocked some achievements, you'll get them retroactively!Can't say that these steps work for Linux

It works, I did it here, the difference is that the files are located at "~/.klei/Shank2/users".

, as well as if online play works yet.EDIT: Is anyone even playing online mode? Can't find anyone in a quick match...

Can't find it here also...

#16 thor27

thor27

• 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Unfortunately SDL 1.2 that Shank 2 uses for input doesn't support force feedback.

Thanks for the answer! I know that only SDL 1.3/2.0 supports force feedback, but it's not a hard stuff to implement as I've already coded that once, at least for linux (not sure how MacOS works with that), just open the device and write stuff there[1], but if you don't want this low level work, if you search, you can find some libs around for linux that does the dirty job. I know you have priorites, don't get me wrong, but if any dev around there got some time to implement that it would be awesome![1]- Linux DOC for ForceFeedback: http://www.kernel.or...on/input/ff.txtThere is a good doc with example code around here: http://freegamedev.n.../Force_FeedbackThanks!PS: If this was open source, I would love to try and implement that :p

#17 Tuomas

Tuomas

• 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

EDIT: Is anyone even playing online mode? Can't find anyone in a quick match...

Can't find it here also...

Maybe I should note that due to some potential issues with the original Shank 2 Windows version code cross-platform multiplayer is not supported.As to the Xbox controller problems, we are working on a fix that should improve triggers somewhat. Will probably be uploaded only next week, as we are experiencing some problems with Steam and I don't want to risk breaking things any further just before weekend.
Tuomas Närväinen
Alternative Games

#18 thor27

thor27

• 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

Maybe I should note that due to some potential issues with the original Shank 2 Windows version code cross-platform multiplayer is not supported.

Oh, that is bad news! At least work playing Linux vs Mac? Any plan to update windows client to make this work?Thanks!EDIT:

As to the Xbox controller problems, we are working on a fix that should improve triggers somewhat. Will probably be uploaded only next week, as we are experiencing some problems with Steam and I don't want to risk breaking things any further just before weekend.

Awesome :) Thanks!

Edited by thor27, 08 February 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#19 Soeb

Soeb

• 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Maybe I should note that due to some potential issues with the original Shank 2 Windows version code cross-platform multiplayer is not supported.

That explains the trouble I had when playing with a friend on Windows. Disconnected quite often and extreme lag. Oh well.

#20 MrSchism

MrSchism

• 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Found a Shank 2/Steam Overlay bug that shows up in two different waysMy system info can be located on this gist: https://gist.github....61ede54ebc30909The first instance of the bug is a glitch from the notification announcing that you can access the community via shift+tab. As it "rolls up" it glitches out.The second instance of the bug is at the top and bottom of the screen in full-screen mode while at the 1280x1024 (5:4) resolution. When you access the overlay then return to the game, the overlay "bleeds through" the black area at the top and bottom.I attempted to screenshot these, but for some reason, it wouldn't use the system screenshot tool... and the Steam screenshot wouldn't catch it. I had to video it. That video is located Reported on Github at: https://github.com/V...nux/issues/1694