animal husbandry/pets

I hope that one of the major updates planned is a revamp and expansion of the animal systems. I think a lot of player have thought this and I've seem a few suggestions, but I don't recall seeing a specific topic on it. 

Animals should have ideal conditions, similar to how plants do. If you meet the needs of an animal they should be more productive and also reproduce.

Animal/Pet carrier/trap. Allows you to catch and release animals where you need them.

Pet feeder. Storage bin that animals can access. So your dupes don't clean up the sand you are giving to your hatch.

Water station. Fact of life. Maybe polluted for some. Connects to pipes.

Milking/sheering station. For collecting resources from animals that aren't simply dropped. Maybe butcher station?

Fencing / door? Obstruction for animals only.

Pet bed? Home base for a pet. Stress reduction. Consumes food/water.

A lot of players have brought this up and I also wish for it to exist, I think like you mentioned with a feeder animals should have a hunger requirement which forces you to either provide them with what they require, Pufts (Polluted oxygen) Hatches (Anything really) The other things (Unknown?) 

Otherwise players would just multiply hatches and pufts (Unilimted Po2 removal) and coal generation XD. 

13 minutes ago, Bargeral said:

Animal/Pet carrier/trap. Allows you to catch and release animals where you need them.

Yes please XD for the love of all that is holy.

14 minutes ago, Bargeral said:

Pet bed? Home base for a pet. Stress reduction. Consumes food/water.

Then we can have pets in our rooms and make use of their decor value XD

I would love this also.
Having an animal farm of hatches for meat.
Maybe a fish pond for some seafood variety.

Food requirements.
Temperature requirements.
Ideal air pressure.
Perhaps special plants to initiate breeding mood.
Or a hatchitat for the hatches to burrow into and lay eggs.

Incubation time for the eggs to mature.

Would make the meat recipee a lot more attractive to make. So I am sure it has been in their thoughts.
But another difficult thing to make i guess.

Imagine creating the perfect environment for the wonderfull Puft. Plenty of polluted oxygen to eat.
A mate to have some fun with and create little ones.
Imagine little pufts.. Ooh they must be so cute.
Until they grow up and become a prime dining meal with bristle blossoms and a pincha pepper for our duplicants.

Hmm we can print dupes. Can't we just scan a puft and print some... Naah no fun. Animal farm yeah ;).

20170801214738_1.jpg

On 7/24/2017 at 5:47 PM, BlueLance said:

A lot of players have brought this up and I also wish for it to exist, I think like you mentioned with a feeder animals should have a hunger requirement which forces you to either provide them with what they require, Pufts (Polluted oxygen) Hatches (Anything really) The other things (Unknown?) 

Otherwise players would just multiply hatches and pufts (Unilimted Po2 removal) and coal generation XD. 

A hunger requirement does not prevent this from being exploited, it only delays the problem. You can simply have much greater numbers to overcome the hunger requirement and have unlimited coal generation. If there is the ability to breed more creatures there is very little you can do to stop it from being exploited. Even a population cap for a localized area wouldn't help since you can just have multiple areas so someone dedicated enough can and will just build a ton of them all over the map.

The only way I see to stop it from being exploited is to have a global population cap or don't have breeding. The cap doesn't have to be a fixed number since that wouldn't be too fun for large bases, it could be a job. Like one dupe can tend to X creatures but that takes up the dupe's time so he has less time for other duties. This way the number of creatures you can have scales with how many dupes you have and indirectly to how big your base is.

Archived