Won't bottle emptier mechanic cause mass balance issues?

So about the new bottle emptier mechanic....

My current 2,000 cycle base has the bottom 1/4 of the meteor filled with polluted water.  I have excess polluted water production because fresh water is unlimited.  4 lav/4 showers produces enough polluted water for my fertilizers so the power gens produce net polluted water.

Now, your dupes have a mini portable "voids" for liquids so you can always mop up the excess polluted water (which I may have to do as I run out of space to put it).  (You could even void gases if you condensed them like CO2 or O2 or chlorine removal mechanic).

BUT...with bottle emptier, you lose this.

So now you have to convert all that polluted water.  You can do more fertilizers but then you have excess methane.  You can burn that but that produces more polluted water.  I am not sure which one wins but at best you are forced to produce way excess power to dispose of the polluted water.  At worst, you will drown in water or methane. Now if there was a way to make sand sustainable, I guess you could have a closed water loop but I am concerned the bottle emptier will make mass balance much harder.

I have a 1600 cycles base and I also have a large pool of polluted water but I found out I am running out of it. 

First, you need pincha peppers for all food that doesn't make your dupes upset, and pincha peppers are large sink of polluted water.

And second, careful balancing of natural gas geysers and fertilizer makers in your power generation always allows you to make your base polluted water neutral or even net sink. You may generate a lot of fertilizer along with it but I don't think it's such a big problem.

I don't bother with peppers....you can feed your dupes mush bars and they don't seem to care.  Buns is fine too.  Berries.  Just never bothered with peppers.  But that is my point, now you HAVE to do peppers to dispose of polluted water.....

You can steam polluted water using a space heater or even better a thermal regulator built out of gold amalgam.

Surround the device in pure chlorine gas in abysalite tiles for insulation and watch the temperature rise. You can drip the polluted water on it to steam out the pollution. I haven't yet found a way to make this type of machine stable though. You have to disable auto repair and accept the damage. That and all the stray steam and water interactions. I guess you could add a thermal switch but the machine heats up way faster than the chlorine.

Check out this dude Brothgar chlorine steamer experiments.

1 hour ago, chemie said:

now you HAVE to do peppers to dispose of polluted water.....

No you don't. You can grow mealwood instead if you don't care what you feed your dupes. Or you can run more fertilizer makers. Or you can boil the water. But yeah you may not like growing mealwood and peppers and running makers or boiling the water and now you HAVE to choose one or more of these because the method that used to work (moping) has stopped working. I would say, though, that perhaps moping was not meant as water disposal method.

I agree moping was borderline broken.  I am just saying we will need better tools than in the game now to manage mass balance issues as the new bottle emptier will break the "safety option" that exists today.

12 minutes ago, chemie said:

we will need better tools than in the game now to manage mass balance issues as the new bottle emptier will break the "safety option" that exists today.

My experience says there's enough tools available to get rid of polluted water already, you just need to employ them. Safety option is building a large enough reservoir because no, there's not going to be a way to get rid of polluted water fast. You'll need to do it over time.

50 minutes ago, chemie said:

You will fight too much methane or too much polluted water.

I think you already answered this concern: just make more generators. The polluted water => natural gas loop causes a net decrease in mass, otherwise you could produce theoretically infinite power.

You're also not taking into account new plants they will be adding, no doubt some of which will require polluted water irrigation in the changes to farming mechanics. Chances are good at least some of those plants will also be medicinal and required in order to manage disease. It is far too premature to make any assumptions on the update.

Consider too that maybe it is by design that using geyser products is a 'deal with the devil' that is too good to be true, and that you will eventually pay for in this fashion.  Probably not - Klei's too nice for that.  But it would not be invalid for it to be designed so.

On 23/07/2017 at 11:39 PM, chemie said:

Well, my 1/4 of the meteor was the "deal with it later" method.

I just don;t see the mass balance working with true balance.  You will fight too much methane or too much polluted water.

There's "dealing with it later" and then there's being a lazy sod ;)

If you amassed this much water, than surely you were aware of it's steady rise - it couldn't have been a "oh ****, where did that come from?" moment of exclamation :D In which case, you sir/madam/other have only yourself to blame :p 

I find at this early stage of the game, it's easy to try and theory craft the "what ifs", but until it's implemented and tinkered with, who knows how the final balance will work out. It could well be that a mechanic you, at first glance, abhorrently detest gets added to the game. It could also be something you make work for you...

Don't panic folks, just play ;)

I'm very happy with the water change to mopping. I tmeans that I will no longer lose it when moving chunks of ice that melt on the way, and I won't need a vomitorium anymore that is connected to the polluted water outlet, and I can make a crying room and just mop up the assorted mess from it to seperate the good and bad water, and put them in their respective tanks.

37 minutes ago, bopeep8hersheep said:

i just hope it doesn't create a ton of delivery jobs.  i hope when a dupe goes to gather the bottled liquid that they will gather up more than one bottle at a time and just turn it into one bottle

Yes, they do that.

25 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Awww whyyy?
I mean, what's wrong with making a special room just for people to have a good cry? 

It's the sinister undertones of creating the room purely in order to "collect" the tears that makes you a monster :p 

Archived