Usability feedback

The user interface of the current game is pretty good, but I would like to suggest some changes: 

1) Don't reset priorities ratings whenever I go back to set priorities. That one is so inconvenient, it feels like a bug. 

2) Ladders and tiles deserve their own high level button, next to dig. Sweep, cancel, etc. could be melted down to much fewer buttons. 

3) Please take out gas piping from plumbing and put it into its own category. I really don't like scrolling that much. 

4) Auto-pause the game on certain events, such as stress reaction, dupe death, ... Just the most important stuff, though. 

39 minutes ago, xsansara said:

3) Please take out gas piping from plumbing and put it into its own category. I really don't like scrolling that much. 

As far as I know, this one is coming for sure, gas piping and related should go under "ventilation", liquid piping and related "plumbing".

Concerning usability, I'd like to be able to set a level of priority directly with an hotkey, like when I'm in the priority overlay, if I press a number, that number should be the priority you're setting to some tiles.

4 hours ago, Sharlank said:

As far as I know, this one is coming for sure, gas piping and related should go under "ventilation", liquid piping and related "plumbing".

Concerning usability, I'd like to be able to set a level of priority directly with an hotkey, like when I'm in the priority overlay, if I press a number, that number should be the priority you're setting to some tiles.

Yeah, I noticed ventilation in the build menu in the last stream they demo'ed ONI.  About 4 streams ago, they actually made a big deal about how in the new update you can choose priority by hotkey.

On 7/21/2017 at 4:21 PM, xsansara said:

1) Don't reset priorities ratings whenever I go back to set priorities. That one is so inconvenient, it feels like a bug.

I would be annoyed if it *didn't* do this.

2) Ladders and tiles deserve their own high level button, next to dig.

That seems awfully arbitrary. It also seems like unnecessary UI clutter for the sake of a minor convenience. Besides, they already have a logical spot nested into the existing UI, and putting them somewhere else would make the UI less consistent and less intuitive.

Maybe you would find this feature genuinely useful, but I think it would be an unwelcome change for the majority of players.

It might be nice to be able to keybind specific buildings, but managing those would get tedious very quickly.

Sweep, cancel, etc. could be melted down to much fewer buttons.

Can you elaborate on this?

4) Auto-pause the game on certain events, such as stress reaction, dupe death, ... Just the most important stuff, though. 

That would be great for running an afk base, although it would absolutely need to be a configurable option.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:21 PM, xsansara said:

Don't reset priorities ratings whenever I go back to set priorities. That one is so inconvenient, it feels like a bug. 

The inconvenient part is mostly that you have to drag the mouse to the corner of the screen and search for appropriate button. Coming with next release, we'll be able to select the priority using a keypress so I believe it will become a non-issue.

Please take out gas piping from plumbing and put it into its own category. I really don't like scrolling that much. 

Coming with next release too

Auto-pause the game on certain events, such as stress reaction, dupe death, ... Just the most important stuff, though.

I'm afraid opinions would vary a lot on what's the 'most important stuff'. Option to pause the game on selected events would be nice but should come with configuration panel where the player gets to choose which events are 'notice' level, which are 'alarm' level and which even pause the game.

Archived