Oxygen room, electrowheeze, free standing electrolyzers dotted around the base. What's YOURS oxygen set up?

My game is going on 500 cycles now and I've played around with a wide variety of designs that range from power-hungry maximum-output to ultra-efficient, low-thermal impact solutions. 

So, for most cases, the first design appears to be best.  It is very easy to stabilize by leaving the bottom left wall of the fan open until hydrogen fills the top layer fully.  It is also extremely stable -- in hundreds of cycles, it hasn't ever destabilized.  The more compact version shown in the second image tends to destabilize if the external pressure becomes too great.  The hydrogen atmosphere switch is set to about 600g, and the oxygen atmo switch is set to 2000.  There are some other advantages -- because the wheezewarts are pumping out the oxygen, you can exceed 2000g pressures in your base, and the thermal impact will be minimized because of their cooling ability.  Since you only need to power the electrolyzer and one gas pump, attaching a hydrogen generator to the output will produce more energy than the system uses.  The drawback is that you'll only average somewhere between 200 and 250Kg/cycle of oxygen production.  Also, gas distribution is not very well designed in ONI, so pressure will be very high locally around the system, but much lower the farther you get away from it.

The third image shows a design I've used when opening up a new area in the purple, pincha-pepper zones.  Since oxygen floats on chlorine, digging down into the section prevents the chlorine from spreading through the rest of my base.  I've also used it in green zones to maintain pressures as pufts eat the polluted oxygen.  The drawback is that oxygen production is the lowest of the systems.  Until max pressures are reached, it will output a maximum of about 200Kg/cycle.  However, it has the advantage of self-regulating, so its great for areas the dupes don't visit often.

The fourth image shows my maximum-output design.  It is capable of producing over 500Kg/cycle of oxygen.  The gas pipes from the pumps run at least 10 units before merging at the filter.  I've found that somewhere between 5 and 10 units of length is necessary to keep the fans from stopping due to gas backup in the pipes.  The other advantage, besides a near-perfect electrolyzer output (532.8Kg/cycle theoretical max) is that since you're already piping the oxygen, you can send it anywhere its needed.  Finally, you don't need to stabilize anything -- the filter will separate the gasses.  The disadvantages of this system are first, it produces a LOT of heat.  Even with two wheezewarts in the room, after several hundred cycles, your temperatures will start to rise.  Around turn 100, the oxygen left the filter at about 22c.  By turn 400, its around 32c.  There were times when temperatures were higher, and times where it was lower -- I'm uncertain where the variation is coming from.  This system is also very power hungry. It WILL consume 720 watts of power on an almost continual basis.  However, if you run a tight base with poor air flow, this will definitely get the air where it needs to be.

Most of my other experimental builds were less useful.  I've also tried the open-room design, where the electrolyzers are spaced around the base with a pump at the top to take the hydrogen out.  That method is easy, but because gasses never mix, the small <100g packets of hydrogen  floating around start to lag up the system as your base grows.  Its bad enough with the bits of CO2 from the Dupe's breath, cells of polluted oxygen, natural gas from farts...  

oxygen1.JPG

oxygen2.JPG

oxygen3.JPG

oxygen4.JPG

On 7/23/2017 at 1:04 AM, KittenIsAGeek said:

oxygen2.JPG

I saw a picture of this design on the wikia, under the guide/oxygen page. It appears to have an additional gas vent on that free space (between the electrolyzer and the leftmost wheezewort. I'm not sure exactly what it does and I can't seem to find a way to set-up one in debug mode (can't find a way to plant the wheezewort without the help of duplicants).
However, from what I gathered along the way, that gas vent apparently tends to move gases away in contact. This might help you stabilyzing problems.

6 hours ago, jderica said:

I saw a picture of this design on the wikia, under the guide/oxygen page. It appears to have an additional gas vent on that free space (between the electrolyzer and the leftmost wheezewort. I'm not sure exactly what it does and I can't seem to find a way to set-up one in debug mode (can't find a way to plant the wheezewort without the help of duplicants).
However, from what I gathered along the way, that gas vent apparently tends to move gases away in contact. This might help you stabilyzing problems.

Select a dupe and press Alt+Q and you can drop one nearby - do the same with a wheezewort seed and they can plant it - just don't forget to send them home afterwards ;)

3 hours ago, suicide commando said:

You can also simply Alt-Q a wheezewort that is growing somewhere on top of the planter. technicly it won't be planted in the planter, but the end result is basicly the same.

Really advise against this - it often bugs, and you'll find your seed lying on the floor when you save/load sometimes. Same used to happen before you could plant them in vases.

Archived