How To Figure Out Unit Conversion

So I've been playing for nearly 200 hours, and I have a really big problem with shall we call it "unit conversion". 

My mealwood plants need 40 kg/cycle of polluted water, and the liquid valve measures in kg/s. How many seconds in a cycle?! Dies the math even work this way, or is there some hidden trick to figuring it out?  Also, I don't want to do this math, why doesn't everything in the game use the same units? Either per cycle or per second or whatever.

Secondly, whatever number I need it to be set at for a single plant, do I multiply this by the number of connected plants? Or does it not work this way?

So 1 plant being fed solely by a pump will get its share in 4 seconds, 10 plants would be done in 40, 100 plants in 400. so in theory in 1 day you could water 150 plants.

Personally I have 1 pump for every 35 plants, but that was just due to me being overly cautious... very overly cautious

20 hours ago, Risu said:

600 seconds in a cycle and that number is for each individual plant.

Thanks! So if my calculations are correct, I would need to set my liquid valve to 667g/s for 10 plants?

13 hours ago, caittorr said:

Thanks! So if my calculations are correct, I would need to set my liquid valve to 667g/s for 10 plants?

Don't bother with valves, just let the pump fill the pipe and plants will take whatever they need. When the pipe is full up to the pump, the pump will stop pumping until the pipe segment under the pipe output is empty, so it will not be wasting power.

On 22/07/2017 at 1:30 PM, Kasuha said:

Don't bother with valves, just let the pump fill the pipe and plants will take whatever they need. When the pipe is full up to the pump, the pump will stop pumping until the pipe segment under the pipe output is empty, so it will not be wasting power.

The reason I was using valves was because it seemed like some of my plants weren't getting any water. I was splitting the pipe several times, I had 10 plants per row, and I was using 1 pump for several rows. By the time the water got to the last row it seemed like there wasn't enough. 

1 hour ago, caittorr said:

The reason I was using valves was because it seemed like some of my plants weren't getting any water. I was splitting the pipe several times, I had 10 plants per row, and I was using 1 pump for several rows. By the time the water got to the last row it seemed like there wasn't enough. 

That may happen at the start when you're filling the system up. Each farm tile will store 5 kg of the water and that drains the pipe a lot. When the tiles get their reserves full and everything settles to just plant consumption, one pump can keep 150 plants irrigated (10 kg/s means 6000 kg/cycle, that's 150 times 40 kg/cycle)

If you are worried a good wee thing that I always do is let the pump run without any plants, this way all the farm tiles will get irrigated and you can see there are no "Gaps" in the water flow. I dont think it makes it any more efficient i just like to prime the pipes before i grow my plants.

The main reason I have a valve on there is because I have a couple of other sources of polluted water joining into that pipe coming from

the main basin along the way, and I would rather have them fuel the peppers as much as possible instead of having to rely on the main supply.

At any rate, I have so many pepperseeds right now, that I'm fine with a standard yield, the good yield just gets you an extra seed, so only the super yield is of any interest as it doubles the amount of nuts. But that also requires fertilising with phosphorite, which is finite, so I'm good with standard yields now.

37 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

The main reason I have a valve on there is because I have a couple of other sources of polluted water joining into that pipe coming from

the main basin along the way, and I would rather have them fuel the peppers as much as possible instead of having to rely on the main supply.

Priority joint is better made using a bridge (or a valve but it does not have to limit the flow). A bridge/valve output right on the supply pipe will not add material if the pipe is full so the straight pipe has priority over whatever comes through the valve/bridge.

Archived