I just made water fall up!!! Infinite water loop!

I'm not sure if it's air pressure or the way water works but somehow there's a tile that is completely being ignored by falling water. It's immediately going to the water to it's side. Then I thought holy ***** I can just build a tunnel back up and it'll have no choice to push upwards. I have now made an infinite loop of water being pushed upstream without a pump and then falling back down!!! Wow I was just listening to niel degrass tyson saying the universe is under no obligation to make sense to us lol.

I hope noone has found this out yet, rather proud of myself  for finding this! I guess this may be decent for cooling systems maybe? dunno. I've noticed the heat is barely getting transferred upstream though.

Check new post in this thread for more precise info.

I guess now you can pump up all the water in all the geysers without using a water pump. Since geysers introduce additional water, it'll be sufficient to pump itself up as far as you want. I think the key is the air pocket not allowing any more water cubes to form. bluelance also mentioned it might be the mesh tiles. I also thought that and tried to delete the meshtile to the far left already in the screenshot but it still is working but maybe you need a mesh tile there to start it up. I also don't think this is really an exploit if its based on the air packet. This can happen in real life except eventually the bubbles will find a way to get through the water. Since air can't move through water in ONI this is following ONI's standard physics. I guess if mesh tiles were giving infinite energy that would be a bit weirder though.

df242SM.jpg

I think it has something to do with your mesh tiles, Ive noticed they tend to suck up my water if they are surrounded by normal tiles. But i never thought about doing this with them haha

Also i dont think anyone has mentioned or posting this sort of thing! so your the first

3 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I think it has something to do with your mesh tiles, Ive noticed they tend to suck up my water if they are surrounded by normal tiles. But i never thought about doing this with them haha

Also i dont think anyone has mentioned or posting this sort of thing! so your the first

That makes sense, I kept thinking it was either that or the fact that the air pressure is really high so it can't form another square of water.

19 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I think if it were air pressure it would force it down since the air if lighter it would want to be on top whilst the water wants to be on the bottom due to being heaver, But I have never tried or experienced it

I think I'm gonna work on building an elevator for a geyser, I'll try and narrow down the possibilities. Though, I think you may be right. I just thought it would be a bit odd that mesh tiles would continue to pull water into itself even if it was "full" and then move that extra water to the next tile and even empty air tiles above it but not tiles to their left. But I guess a better way to think about it is that it's completely denied the left tile for some reason then is just expanding within itself.

After some tweaking, I've noticed its impossible to make this merely using mesh tiles. I mean mesh tiles help your tunnel from collapsing, but it is mostly not needed for this setup.

I'm pretty sure now that air is indeed the actual factor of the pump. Water can drip through the mesh tiles slowly while preventing air from escaping. Water will gather upwards until it can no longer do so. I'm guessing it stops when it can no longer push two air tiles together or it gives the air a pathfinding algorithm and it fails somehow. A water tile will instead carry over 1000g of water and slowly stabilize back to 1000g. The excess water of 1000g is transported to the pump's end. Having 3 tiles of different gas will guarantee this setup will work since they won't combine.

By the way, the large body of water surrounded by abyssalite tiles has already cooled to ~33c and it's barely even gone far from the source.

VcRKoRR.jpg

*I've noticed that in many cases after the tile of water decides it can not expand upwards, you can release the pressure and it will continue to work. I'm guessing that for is for optimization purposes. Once the water decides it can't move upwards, it will stop calculating upwards paths until it detects some type of nearby change.

*Edit: I think it might be possible to make some sort of super condensed water tile. Something with like 10,000kg of water. I would have to try it out but it does seem a bit too exploity and also hard to keep from overpressure. Might make a huge water explosion, that would be cool.

**Edit: Okay these walls won't take the water up very far, you'll need probably need 3-5 tile tall walls all over to make it sturdy enough to pump very far up. The water went up about 75% of the screen here and the weight collapsed the inner structure so water rushed into the vent area. I also took all the weezeworts away but the left over temperature deceased the entire body of water to about 15c so this setup might accidently freeze easily.

I think you have a single tile of different gas (usually it happens with CO2 but it may be oxygen in your case) at the bottom left corner. The water doesn't displace it because it's exactly one single tile.

I have problems making the water make a "waterfall" when dropping down but when I use a pump/valve combo it works fine.

jjiRMF4.jpg

9 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I think you have a single tile of different gas (usually it happens with CO2 but it may be oxygen in your case) at the bottom left corner. The water doesn't displace it because it's exactly one single tile.

I have problems making the water make a "waterfall" when dropping down but when I use a pump/valve combo it works fine.

I'm not completely sure what exactly stops water eventually since the original picture was just a column of hydrogen tiles that aren't even high pressure and yet they completely stoped moving. For my geyser, I couldn't get it to work until I closed off the air. I think having different gas types may be a factor but I think you just need water/air to fail some sort of pathfinding algorithm and decide they have nowhere they can go.

I'm assuming there's a limit to air pathfinding algorithms to ensure computing speed. If the path it needs to take to be free is too complex, it might stop the water instead. It may take different amounts of time / height points before water stops rising and offsetting it to the side.

I suggest putting mesh tiles where you let water drip through. The mesh tiles will keep some water in it to make sure the water dripping column is gas tight. Then close off all other paths of air.

This would force the experiment in which one of the following must happen.

1. Water stops dripping left.

2. Air gets destroyed by forming new liquid tiles.

3. Water gets offset to the side rather than upwards.

So far, I've eventually gotten rule #3 every time.

15 hours ago, Kasuha said:

jjiRMF4.jpg

Now add water to the basin with the pump till it overflows and you should be able to shutdown the pump...

Archived