How did you start playing DS/DST?

I used money to buy the game, and then I was faced with the rather difficult choice of whether to use mouse or keyboard controls. But then I realized that you could use both at the same time! My jaw hit the floor so hard that I nearly caused collateral damage in the building I was living in.

Then, I decided to use both control schemes at the same time. Thank goodness YouTube is a good place for finding visual representations to show others what you mean:

My brother one day came storming to my room telling me he found a new cool game, where "World is strangely made to be 3D in a 2D environment", he got me sold after mentioning it's a sandbox survival game, i just love this genre.

First he downloaded pirated copy for me and himself, we do that sometimes to check how we would like the game before wasting our money on it, and i loved it, soon after he bought it on steam for me and himself, and from then on i was playing it.

Eventualy he got very sick of this game and didn't touched it ever since, but i was just deep, deep inside of it, i loved everything in it, the art style, the lore with deep hidden messages, discovering and interacting with new things that would make me scratch my head for weeks, it was just amazing experience.

Eventualy Don't Starve Together was announced, and i got super excited for it. Hopped right in, loved it, then extremely quickly got bored of it, as bosses became impossible to fight solo, i had nobody to play with and playing on servers meant either coming to world with everything already done for you, having to deal with newbies who make the game unplayable, or having the world reset every 30 minutes of gameplay.

I still check in on the game from time to time, i simply love the lore and the characters too much (especialy Wendy, she's the best) to just leave it now.

My buddy showed me the game and we both pirated copies of DS.  I finally survived to Winter and thought it was the cruelest thing in the world!  I looked online to see some tips and found that the developers had patched the game and the tips didn't line up with my features.  I got a new version that matched and played a bit more, then it happened again.  I decided to buy the game so I could always have the up to date version, it was the first game I bought on steam.  I only played League on my computer at the time, everything else was on console - but since getting Steam and DS I actually bought more games on PC and now never play on console (or league) I just play steam games lol.

I kept up with the game buying both RoG and Shipwrecked but I fell out of playing it for a bit.  DST came out though and I bought it like 4 times to gift it to friends so we could play together, and I play DST often now.

I never play DS anymore... Sometimes I miss the lower mob health levels, and sometimes I want to actually do all of the SW stuff.  I did complete adventure mode in DS to unlock both Maxwell and Wes legit.

Someone made a thread on the forums that a group had, saying that he got an extra copy of the game and that he would give it away to the first person who would make a comment and say something like "I would like to have it/Give me". I was that person and he added me on steam(or I added him I don't remember) and he gave the copy to me.

I installed it and I have enjoyed playing the game a lot.

When RoG came out I thought that I had to get it so I bought it and when Shipwrecket and DST was added to the store I bought those too. After a  while I stopped playing both games because I got bored but I have started playing DST again and I'll try to get all of the characters in DS later.

I think the sequence of events went something like this:

TvTropes "random" button >> TvTropes "random" button again >> classmates in Intro Game Design liked it >> TvTropes "random" button yet again >> Sips Plays Don't Starve >> Steam sale.

So basically the same as Magicka, but with more auditing classes and watching Sips, and less Steam free weekend.

On 7/26/2017 at 4:53 PM, StarmanNess said:

he was weirded out by the Tim Burton artstyle

I do not understand these words.

Archived