Puft and Hatch rising

It has been clear to us all that puft and hatch and/or morb are very important in order for a sustainable base design, that we are all trying hard to catch them and keep them alive. Hard as we try, they always disappear for all kinds of reasons, not to mention we never being able to put them in the place we want.

Thus, a certain building should be designed to raise them. For puft, a building where holds it like a fish tank but has an intake for gas (polluted oxygen) and out take for slime. For hatch, a fish tank with input for raw minerals(as they are very common) and output for coal. Just like the plants, design a growing point system so that they can reproduce. This way it can also produce meat rather than create a fish tank only for meat.

Also as those little things are all very valuable that we refused to kill them, maybe change the "combat" skill into "catch" would be better. 

Please share thoughs.

22 hours ago, Randomix said:

It has been clear to us all that puft and hatch and/or morb are very important in order for a sustainable base design, that we are all trying hard to catch them and keep them alive. Hard as we try, they always disappear for all kinds of reasons, not to mention we never being able to put them in the place we want.

Thus, a certain building should be designed to raise them. For puft, a building where holds it like a fish tank but has an intake for gas (polluted oxygen) and out take for slime. For hatch, a fish tank with input for raw minerals(as they are very common) and output for coal. Just like the plants, design a growing point system so that they can reproduce. This way it can also produce meat rather than create a fish tank only for meat.

Also as those little things are all very valuable that we refused to kill them, maybe change the "combat" skill into "catch" would be better. 

Please share thoughs.

I guess I lucked out in catching 3 hutches, I had a little closed off area in part of my base I wasn't using and realized if I timed things right with digging and deconstruction I could get them to fall or walk into that area and then trap them there by using airlocks and ladders (one escaped and I managed to lure it back in with dropped resources and then redo the layout a bit to prevent them escaping)

hutch habitat.png

(original layout)

I can imagine pufts being harder to corral since they can fly, and I haven't really considered domesticating morbs.

One thing that might make catching them easier is to get dupes to be able to move loose resources so they can be used as bait.

When herding hatches and morbs, you can save yourself a lot of boring, tedious, menial (but easy) work by using this little exploit:

You can get them all to stand on one tile. Then you can feed them almost anything solid you want - I use them to get rid of ice.

10 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

I'd settle for changing puft AI so they don't kamikaze-drown themselves. 

This, and also making them a little tougher.  Climate-controlling my puft enclosure is... sigh, it just seems like too much.

Archived