Random Topic Starter

7 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

I guess I'd just say read the mod list on servers before flat out ignoring them. I get pretty lonely on my servers sometimes...

I do. But I never find servers with decent mods like yours.

7 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

one that lets you put two of the same item together to repair it (simply because im sick and tired of having bases full of 1-2% helmets)

*High-fives* Possibly one of the best mods out there. I've been wanting that mechanic since the days of DS. I was ecstatic when I saw that mod become reality.

A lot of mods make the game easier and remove the integrity of the game itself, which is already questionable considering all the meta that makes veteran survival completely trivial. It's called Don't Starve but with access to basic ice and spiders you can survive for significant periods of time because you magically can transmogrify two technically inedible ingredients into completely healthy food by dumping them into a pot when you aren't even a chef or an alchemist or a mage minus Maxwell. KLEI.

Then you've got all the anime, cartoon and fursona mods that completely break immersion more then some of the cosmetic item skins in the game already do. Especially since most mod characters are overpowered, or at least; almost as overpowered as all the vanilla ones.

Mods in general can make the game unstable, and can ramp up the CPU usage of the game. Because it's a low-hardware intensive game there are plenty of people who play it on failing computers or laptops and mods just make it all the more difficult and laggy. It's often better to go to servers hosted by other people as well since some computers may be able to run the game but not actually host a world.

1 hour ago, The Curator said:

because you magically can transmogrify two technically inedible ingredients into completely healthy food

What's more, you can magically transform a living, flying butterfly either into a living flower or a handful of butter. 

Btw, I'd actually like to have some kind of link on the servers profile to the mods they have, so that we can check the world's mods' details, just like there are links to the players' steam profiles. With this we could see what do mods on that given server do. It would help a lot. Really.

As far as client mods go I use combined status geometric placement and whatnot. For servers I generally stick to some basics Global positions, Show Me, No thermal durability, not cause durability is an issue, but rather because I can't wrap around how you can use a sewing kit on solid rock. Anyway I personally dislike content addition and character mods with a passion because you can never really find balanced mods or at least they're few and far between. Additionally I prefer an environment where I can understand whats going on (this is why I use information mods like combined status/show me and I also almost exclusively play Woodie so keeping track of health, hunger, sanity, beaverness, and sometimes wetness all at once can be a little confusing when I can only see one number for a stat at a time) As a result content adding mods especially ones with rather vague descriptions tend to keep me away not to mention the fact that if you have an amount of mods on your server that needs a scroll bar to showcase and none of them are something to help with worldgen (because I understand those people and I'm not about to reset my world 50 times to make sure I get my triple mac) I have no doubt that one of those mods is gonna start a fight with another or some serious lag is gonna crop up.

To sum all that up in English: I don't hate mods its just content/character mods are confusing and often not balanced. So I stick to minimally modded servers and those mods generally are just slight quality of life improvements (like global positions, combined status, or wormhole marks) 

Anyway thanks for reading, have a wonderful day, and don't starve or anything when I'm not looking! :D  

1 hour ago, Mr Pig said:

Anyway thanks for reading, have a wonderful day, and don't starve or anything when I'm not looking! :D  

Off topic but you can set a signature so you don't have to type it over and over again 

Poopy prince Mushlack is the only mod you'll ever need.

For real tho, I'm the same. If server has lots of mods then THERE has to be at least op character mod that follows the rule "fast but weak". Feel free to check it yourselves.

12 hours ago, Maslak said:

For real tho, I'm the same. If server has lots of mods then THERE has to be at least op character mod that follows the rule "fast but weak". Feel free to check it yourselves.

90% of modded character in the workshop have more speed, so... :D

On 17.07.2017 at 3:29 AM, GhostPhreak said:

Why do some people  utterly  despise modded servers?

Lifts up hand

That would be me, i believe.

Now, don't get me wrong, i use some mods, like something Klei should've implemented a long time ago, read: wearing backpack, armor and amulet at the same time, or having music playing during dusk and midnight, and few other smaller things that don't change the game itself, like minimap and etc.

I simply hate the mods that change the game mechanic or implement things that aren't simply meant for this theme or the game itself. I can't imagine playing a survival game whose style is like paper clippings set in 1940's, and play as some anime chick with sword having her stats like "Kills everything is overpowered can eat your soul but bad side is that she can die".

I have to say, i kinda like the idea of having additional crops or cooking recipies, maybe even a new item or two, but those must fit the theme and must be balanced, otherwise i'll just be disgusted by it. Oh, and i dislike crossovers as well, if you're going to create something new, at least be original please.

Also, some mods can be just extremely complicated to use, i don't even know why people bother. Overally, in my mind, i imagine when a developer creates a game, then i'd rather play it the way he intended it to be played, unless changes aren't that big of a deal. That's my opinion about it.

Now i'll take cover before someone bombards me with "why i'm wrong" comments.

I don't see something wrong, it's a personal taste, it's perfectly ok to have personal taste. I, for example, dislike most of clients mods (in fact in never used any, but it could come maybe), because i feel like they are "too helpful" and remove the purpose of some in game item.

But they are very popular amongst players. The difference is that they are clients mods so this not matter a lot.

I don't like armor + amulet + backpack because i feel like it's agaisnt the balance of the game, and i guess that some mod i could find balanced could be overpowered for you, it's ok, we don't have the same taste for balance.

But again, try Pickle It or Waiter 101 for additional crops without being making the game too easy, it could be fun (also, you have to be cautious and not using too mushrooms in recipe in waiter 101 (except specific recipe), it make the game a little harder when relying too mush* on them.

(*Ok, this is a mistake but i find it fun so i'll keep it)

On 7/27/2017 at 11:31 PM, Newax said:

something Klei should've implemented a long time ago, read: wearing backpack, armor and amulet at the same time

On 7/27/2017 at 11:31 PM, Newax said:

I simply hate the mods that change the game mechanic or implement things that aren't simply meant for this theme or the game itself.

here's some tip: instead of before asking "how it should be" or, to be fair, "how i want it to be", consider thinking about "why is this thing was made this way and not any other"

Archived