Random Topic Starter

Well, I don't exactly care for modded servers since I'd most likely be playing with people who rely on that mod. And while I don't mind people using mods themselves, I don't like using mods on my own sessions since vanilla is, in my opinion, great the way it is.

Bottom line is, if I wanted to play with those people again, I would need to either adhere (is that the right word?) to their needs or hope they can play without mods.

From my experience there are a lot of half-butt'd mods that take no heed to gameplay balance, theme, etc.

This deters me from finding modded servers as each one has their own list of mods that I'd need to sift through to ensure what experience I'd be presented is one I would enjoy.

Definitely would not like to join a server full of the anime characters with items raining from the sky, or in a specific case I've seen: merely mining a rock granting over 30 pieces of gold.

It doesn't feel like playing DST anymore as a lot of core mechanics are basically thrown out the window and/or makes me live in UberEasyVille. Not to mention weird anime characters OP beyond belief with a lot of even weirder stats and/or items I have no idea about. So, yeah, is about dubious things I have no clue on. Oh, and not to forget the fact 9999 mods-on-1-server most likely will lag said server and crash the game; or make GlitchesCity prosper again in subtle but constant errors.

3 hours ago, GhostPhreak said:

Why do some people  utterly  despise modded servers?

Have you ever looked at the steam workshop? A lot of it is garbage like unbalanced furry and anime characters or just mods that straight up make the game way too easy. And there's so few balanced, quality mods out there that fit in with the theme of DST. So the few actual good mods just get buried underneath.

So, because the workshop is mostly garbage, most modded servers are assumed to be garbage as well. And when I sift through the mods list on servers, that unfortunately tends to be the case...

There are amazing mods like geometrical placement, minimap, temperature meter, naughtiness meter, etc. What is good about these mods is they don't break the immersion of the game. As long there's mods like these I'm okay with them but I could not stand a server with broken strange characters and unknown items/structures.

It's hard i think to find quickly if the modded server is modded with mods you could find good, especially if you don't know the mod.

Most mods are unbalanced character, not what i'm searching (i already have Wickerbottom for that). I want mod adding content, and content that doesn't make the game too easy, and they aren't the most common.

2 hours ago, DelroyBM said:

There are amazing mods like geometrical placement, minimap, temperature meter, naughtiness meter, etc. What is good about these mods is they don't break the immersion of the game. As long there's mods like these I'm okay with them but I could not stand a server with broken strange characters and unknown items/structures.

Well, there's a difference between client mods and server mods. There's actually a decent amount of quality client mods out there like a couple you already mentioned. But the discussion is mostly focused on server mods. Mods that directly alter the game itself.

15 hours ago, GhostPhreak said:

Why do some people  utterly  despise modded servers?

I've seen people completely dismiss modded servers. I understand that a lot of people like vanilla  servers but why dismiss something without giving them a chance?

I must apologize to all the mod makers here,

but mods are disorders, I dont understand why somebody would ignore all he knows, and try something moded? 

only mods I've ever used were Geometric Placement, Health Info and Global Positions,

now I don't use any of them when I play alone, and on the servers, I sometimes use Geometric Placement

you see, global positions for example, makes cartographer's desk and compass useless,

health info, disrupts the learning process,

and geometric info, on a internet based server can be quite a concern (some might theoretically use this game as a means of encrypted communication:wilson_facepalm:)

When I set the list to filter out password-protected and hosted servers, it's not that bad. Look for mod lists without scrollbars and the world will likely be limited to admin maintenance tools and Show Me/Health Info type mods (or content in the case of Ghost's servers).

Even some of the ones with long lists play much like vanilla except with reduced tedium and non-optimal content.

1 hour ago, Arash70 said:

but mods are disorders, I dont understand why somebody would ignore all he knows, and try something moded?

Because mods can be fun. I often play with mods like "Koalefanta Proboscidea", http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409858663

This mod is adding new koalefant to discover, it's fun, it's not really more powerful than vanilla game in most cases, but it add news things to the world and make the game more enjoyable for me. Personal taste of course.

I usually play too with "beefalo milk" (it's balanced, you need to cook the raw milk to have one "usable" milk for recipe), useless junk (sometimes when fishing you could fish a bonus trinket or gears, make fishing a little more exciting), aquarium (build a cute aquarium to raise fish and for a very small sanity boost), pickle it (new foods, a new structure), waiter 101 (new foods, new recipe, some balance).

It make the game more diverse and enjoyable for me. Also, they could add thinks making the game a little more easy, but not that much, and not without efforts and knowledge for your part, so it's still like most of the other stuff in the game, not free reward.

So i use mods because i enjoy more the game with than without, it's as simple as this.

If you're running a modded server, I strongly suggest using collections: it makes checking your mods easier for players and if you're hosting a dedicated server, you can download all of your mods at once with ServerModCollectionSetup in your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua file (I don't know if you can activate them all at the same time in your modoverrides.lua, it would make for a nice feature).

I must apologize for not making my topic starter clear. I understand the dislike towards anime/furry character  & mods that make the game way too easy. Although there is some great modded characters that fit the DST art style & are balanced in some way.

My question was geared more towards why people just hate all mods in general. Like the server could have 1 mod & people will just be like "nope not playing on that server."     For veteran players, isn't it fun to mix it up with mods that bring a new experience & challenges?

Examples:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726432903

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947462293

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923823873

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=544126369

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=503187227

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=643193433

I think the main problem is not everybody actually DOES hate all mods in general, but that it takes too long to sift through/find out about all the mods listed for a given server, so the easier thing to do is just brush off ANYthing with the "mod" symbol showing in the Browse list.  For many people it's just a time-saving thing.

Me, I do use mods, but mainly balanced ones.  I understand why people loathe the "money raining from the sky"/overpowered furry anime character type mods because SO DO I! so I'm extra careful about what goes into my game.  For example, one time a kid requested I download a specific mod:  a WAY overpowered high-tech character so he could play his fave on my server as well, and I said no.  Here's what I use on a regular basis:

Willow the Unnerfed (the oldschool Willow from singleplayer DS--her downside is that instead of freezing when insane, she sets random fires.  But you get a sweet infinite lighter!)

Pickle It! (why can only meat be preserved an old-fashioned way?  Also more variety of veggies)

Shipwrecked Characters (they ARE canon!  Just not in Together.)

Winnie (or one version of her) Can only eat vegetables but grows crops faster; pretty darn balanced.  I played as her once by myself to test it out before I made it "public" on my server--and promptly starved to death in winter.  Yep!  Sounds like a Don't Starve character!  : P

No Thermal Stone Durability I admit, this one does make things a bit easier but...I came in from singleplayer!  The stones never break there!  It just annoys me to have to keep track of one more thing, so I made the thermal stones oldschool.

Re-equip weapon This really should just be a normal game mechanic.

Animal/Trinket Variety, Painted Pig Houses--purely aesthetic.

OOPS, forgot "Automatic Health Adjust", which adjusts the HP of bosses according to how many people are actually playing on the server.  I end up playing alone a lot, so...

And a few others I can't remember right now.  I'm also currently testing out the True Random Seasons mod, by our own Electroely!  :)   

Notable, very popular mods I DON'T use include...pretty much all the just-hand-you-information-without-work ones. GPS and Combined Status (and its variants) are the main examples...I happen to find it more fun to guess and figure things out on my own, but hey.  (shrug)

...Notorious

Well, I gotta thank you, @GhostPhreak, for that list of mods - now I know exactly at what weird world mods was referring to with my "dubious things I have no clue on", as I actually had one specific server in mind where I couldn't make day from night so-to-say: Multi-Worlds DST, Advanced World Generation, and Windy Plains. Was the first time I looked at landscape, roaming the land, and had no clue what to do when visiting a server with those 3 mods on it (and some more) - who knows, maybe was yours, lel. And I proverbially flipped the table when, in a ...winter forest biome or-the-heck-was-that I stumbled upon a herd (tribe?!) of mini-Deerclops. Then and there I just "F-it...just F this sh|t!" and left (after previously being chased by some werebeaver-like creatures and weird mutated warthogs - Stink Warthogs I think were called?!). Anyway... NOPE from Nope-Nope-Parish! I mean, yeah, those mods probably are fun, probably, and bring diversity for sure; but, again, that's not DST - is another amalgamation I would need to learn what-is-what-and-how to actually play it successfully (and enjoy that playtime). And there's no incentive as that's not canon and prone to change on any whim developer of that particular mod(s) may have.

On another note I for one am not a "default hater" of mods as concept, actually enjoy client-side ones like Combined Status, Craft Pot, Geometric Placement, Minimap HUD or Screenshot Tools and aesthetic mods as More Sculptures. Other, server-side mods, that get the ok in my eyes: Health Info (being used with RTSs), Trash Can (basing in caves, from mid-game on, flints begin to be a real pile-problem with earthquakes and no further uses), Storeroom (I like building as compact as I can and, even if I have and enjoy special-skin chests, am not fancying fields of them, even more so in caves), and Path Lights (more for, again, aesthetic purpose as in caves the combination of those lights plus fireflies, statues and moon&thulecite walls can make for some really enchanting setups).

Yeah, some of those I'd read about already, mainly...the three XX just said.  (Oh, and the kindling one.)  It's really too bad you have to have ALL that stuff from those mods, just a few of the assets or traits would be cool.  Specifically the Shipwrecked backgrounds/plants.

Okay okay fine I just want plantable palm trees so I can tropical-up my oasis, is everyone happy?  : P

I've also been known to use "Teas and Trees" or "Birds and Berries and Flowers and Rainbows and Sparkles and Unicorns with Friends" or whatever its name is, on occasion, but only experimentally.  I like having more variety of plants/food around, but that makes it so there's too MUCH food.  That said, the mango trees from the former would also fit in well with Shipwrecked and dude, green kitties.  GREEN.  KITTIES.

Spoiler

greenkitties.png

I must pets them all, my precious...

Out of the two I'd say Teas and Trees is a bit more balanced/less obtrusive, but I do like having apples and pineapples around...

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Shipwrecked Characters (they ARE canon!  Just not in Together.)

Welllll... that's kinda debatable. Since we started getting a story in DST, SW doesn't really fit in with any of the lore we've gotten so far. With no mention of it whatsoever in the game that's chronologically the most recent, it feels like SW can't really be considered canon anymore.

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

With no mention of it whatsoever in the game that's chronologically the most recent, it feels like SW can't really be considered canon anymore.

Well maybe Kiel you wanna say something on this soon I've know you've seen the threads and frankly I don't want to wait 3 years for an answer

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

..Notorious

Ugh

6 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

ean, yeah, those mods probably are fun, probably, and bring diversity for sure; but, again, that's not DST - is another amalgamation

This is how it is for me sort of Sure and can be fun and for me it is I like doing it sometimes but at the same time thats not DS its an offshoot of DS that can,break or change at any moment looking at mods that I really want just makes me wish there was something like it in the base game when there isn't going to be. I also like to stay as vanilla as possible most of the time because I'm using the offical world as my playground I'm not side stepping it with a mod.

I make modded worlds full of content as a guilty pleasure of mine just to **** about I'm not how others feel but thats why I avoid modded servers because some like to go overboard and I don't want to get to used to having the mod be there. I think that makes since

8 hours ago, GhostPhreak said:

I must apologize for not making my topic starter clear.

Dude seriously you didn't even make a title for this thread what did you think was going to happen when I first saw this thread I thought it was a joke/troll want my advice GIVE YOUR TOPICS A TITLE EH?!

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Specifically the Shipwrecked backgrounds/plants.

Strange, i don't really like using of Shipwrecked background/plants without a twist. I mean, sure, it's a lot of work porting the code and all, but i don't know. Something is wrong for me, i would rather prefer an entire shipwrecked mod, or some news trees/creatures (even if just "reskin" of SW items), but here it feels like, i don't know, lack of "personal" touch.

Anyway, my personal taste is that theses mods are a little too much (but the werebeaver biome of multiworld DST sound nice). Some mods like "bird and berries for friend" are probably more reasonable (except the "too much food" part mentioned above)

Like my neighbour from up there about extra slots.

But mostly because of : 40 inventory slots , stacks up to 99, animes characters that one shot everything and move faster than flash..

Spoiler

I'm not crazy about the GPS mod because it makes it too easy for trolls or overdependent noobs to track you down. I prefer to go off to a remote part of the map, get a base going and then team with players who have the wherewithal to find me on their own. I can't really enjoy the game if from day one I'm being followed or badgered by someone who keeps saying "I need food!" or "can you give me 10 twigs?" or "Help me, I'm going insane!"

I run mods on my server. But they're only mods I find actually needed, like one that gives you 3 pieces of flint when you connect so you can, yknow, actually play the game if you want too, health info (I like to use it to see my progress as I periodically kill bosses using only my fists) and a mod that shows you if your domesticated beefalo is about to stab you in the back, and one that lets you put two of the same item together to repair it (simply because im sick and tired of having bases full of 1-2% helmets) Yet people don't like to join because it's modded...

I guess I'd just say read the mod list on servers before flat out ignoring them. I get pretty lonely on my servers sometimes...

..Also, I literally have made up a game with me and my girlfriend @Mezukie which is "How many anime mods are on the first page of the DST steam workshop"
Our record is 13.

Now I don't like anime mods, and I don't like furry mods. But if you go to the top rated character mods on the workshop, #3 is both.

Spoiler

musha.png

Puppy. Princess.
Puppy.

P R I N C E S S .

I'm done. I can't.

And on a side note, I utterly despise the "personal use" mods that aren't privatized. It's nothing more than clutter on the workshop. :V

Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for a good mod. The bad ones however? EUGH.

Archived