Has anyone hit cycle 2000 yet?

The game gets too boring after researching everything and reaching the map edges around cycle 100 for me to want to continue much thereafter. I wish there was more map variety and things to do/overcome. :/

3 hours ago, Eep said:

The game gets too boring after researching everything and reaching the map edges around cycle 100 for me to want to continue much thereafter. I wish there was more map variety and things to do/overcome. :/

It is worth going to about 300 cycles. You encounter some interesting problems related to heat on that timescale that you don't see in the first 100 cycles. After that I agree that the game is basically just sandbox, and not a very interesting sandbox at that.

1 hour ago, Ciderblock said:

It is worth going to about 300 cycles. You encounter some interesting problems related to heat on that timescale that you don't see in the first 100 cycles. After that I agree that the game is basically just sandbox, and not a very interesting sandbox at that.

I don't have problems with heat, cold, or air quality because I know how to manage them from the start: don't expand rapidly, build with the terrain, wall off areas, etc. I don't even use planters, instead preferring dropped seeds on terrain to grow naturally.

I submitted mine as a bug report because time basically stopped progressing even though calories were still being lost and my dupes died in their sleep from starvation because of it. Kinda funny that my colony was so stable it could only die by game bugs.

I've only ever attempted the "dig out the asteroid" colony once - and it was the biggest nightmare of random bugs/glitches and lag ever. I think the merging/colliding/shuffling of so many loose packets of gas is just too much for the current state of the game. 

Cycles wise - I'm normally bored of my current colony by cycle 4-500, but I have had a few big daddies that I've let run way into the 1200+'s but just to see how the dupes would get on if I went away for the weekend :p

My current style is to aim for a stable base by 100 cycles, build a huge power system, then a huge o2 system, then whatever projects I have in mind to try. Normally relating to processing of PO2, or polluted water. Once i've built them I start again for the most part :D In the current build, I find the most fun comes from overcoming your RNG elements of world spawn in the early game, once you cap a geyser or two - those elements are an afterthought.

But hey - everyone's different, and it's what makes games like ONI so accessible to everyone - each to their own :D 

Archived