Hey so I was wondering if we could add an option to turn off fertilizing hydroponic farms, my dupes spend a solid 40% of the day fertilizing and harvesting, even though I don't necessarily need the top tier rewards for the plant itself. So like in my mind ideally I would have a farm tile type that allowed for irrigation but either no fertilization or the ability to toggle fertilization off.

If you don't need the harvest right away, you can lock the door to the farm and wait until plants harvest themselves. Then you can let the dupes in, sweep the food, plant new plants, let them perhaps fertilize and then lock the door again. Having inert atmosphere in the farm helps keeping the fruits fresh.

At present the only option that prevents fertilizing is using planter boxes. But that doesn't allow irrigation as well, and doesn't work for pincha peppers.

I would also like this feature. Right now I am in the process of moving all my phosphorite into a room with a powered mechanized door and another door on my peppernut farm to deny access to the peppernut to the one who has access to the phospherite and the reverse.

15 hours ago, Whispershade said:

I would also like this feature. Right now I am in the process of moving all my phosphorite into a room with a powered mechanized door and another door on my peppernut farm to deny access to the peppernut to the one who has access to the phospherite and the reverse.

I never thought about this, sure one dupe would send 100% of their time fertilizing but its better than 5 dupes carrying partial packets of fertilizer for 1 hydropnic farm. Gonna implement this in my base!

On 7/17/2017 at 0:36 PM, Whispershade said:

Oooh I like that, I'm going to steal it. XD
I generate too much fertilizer for that to be easy for my bristle berries though.

1 hour ago, Lulach said:

Oooh I like that, I'm going to steal it. XD
I generate too much fertilizer for that to be easy for my bristle berries though.

I don't grow berries currently, but I do grow my sleet wheat in hydroponic tilesĀ  from my investigation to see how feasible it was to get excellent yields. That experiment failed but I haven't really bothered to rebuild my sleet wheat farm yet.Ā  In the meantime I locked that behind a mechanized door and just said, screw it, let one or two fertilize all they want.Ā  I am currently running 24 dupes, so it is better than having 20 other dupes constantly running into the farm to just have 1 or 2 dedicated attendants.

I ended up with 30,000 sleet wheat grain so I have actually left it fallow for quite awhile.

I'd say no, although in some cases it could be better. Well set up mealwood doesn't need active temperature control (just isolation), sleetwheat will always eventually require cooling.

Mealwood has multiple problems, such as occupying a lot of food storage, frequent but small harvests, requirement to keep good+ yield. Its primary advantage over wheat is that it doesn't need cooking - in fact, you shouldn't cook it in current version.

For mealwood to actually beat sleetwheat, you'd probably need to have it completely automatized, with no fertilization, so that dupes only plant the seeds and then harvest good yield drops. Or even better: have the farm double as food storage (CO2 atmosphere to prevent rot), to prevent frequent haul jobs that make mealwood extra inefficient. Then you'd save time by not having to cook anything.

Going back to the OP's suggestion, since the next update is likely to require fertilization for plants when this is possible, the option to turn off fertilization won't be needed.

Sleet wheat's current big advantage will disappear as a result as well.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

I'd say no, although in some cases it could be better. Well set up mealwood doesn't need active temperature control (just isolation), sleetwheat will always eventually require cooling.

Mealwood has multiple problems, such as occupying a lot of food storage, frequent but small harvests, requirement to keep good+ yield. Its primary advantage over wheat is that it doesn't need cooking - in fact, you shouldn't cook it in current version.

For mealwood to actually beat sleetwheat, you'd probably need to have it completely automatized, with no fertilization, so that dupes only plant the seeds and then harvest good yield drops. Or even better: have the farm double as food storage (CO2 atmosphere to prevent rot), to prevent frequent haul jobs that make mealwood extra inefficient. Then you'd save time by not having to cook anything.

Yeah I filter all my CO2 into my Mealwood farm this keeps it sterile so I never really worry about food storage like you said, the other benefit is since its heavier than the gasses my dupes are in I never have contamination. ruining my food. Like you said I also do not cook it.

The reason I asked is I am not very good at temperature control, I havent dabbled in it completely yet.

On 7/19/2017 at 6:17 AM, Sevio said:

Going back to the OP's suggestion, since the next update is likely to require fertilization for plants when this is possible, the option to turn off fertilization won't be needed.

Sleet wheat's current big advantage will disappear as a result as well.

Source? Also can you explain your statement, doesn't quite make sense to me.

"since the next update is likely to require fertilization for plants when this is possible".

Don't plants already require fertilization when possible?

21 minutes ago, Lulach said:

Source? Also can you explain your statement, doesn't quite make sense to me.

"since the next update is likely to require fertilization for plants when this is possible".

Don't plants already require fertilization when possible?

The new update is doing away with yields. A plant either has what it needs to grow, or it doesn't. If we want to grow a plant that requires fertilizer in that update, it might be mandatory to get anything out of it at all. Currently, using fertilizer is an unnecessary luxury to improve yield, though pragmatically speaking it is more a time sink for dupes.

They talked about it on the stream last week, and the stream 2 weeks prior to that one (3 weeks ago).

8 hours ago, Lulach said:

That's interesting, seems like it might make early game food pretty hard though.

Your early game food is mush bars :p

I think that the Mushrooms will require less resources so there will probably be more of a tiered food tree.

Archived