Smallest sustainable base ?

Since you already use questionable mechanics (tepidizer overheating exploit), you could go all the way and also use the following:

• Medical cot instead of food (bugged perma-ill dupes can lie on it all day)
  • Use polluted oxygen (from evaporated piss) instead of clean one, polluted oxygen doesn't get used up by breathing

Are you sure the base is truly sustainable, though? What's the math on water usage? I assume you are getting some extra water from the toilet (it produces more than it uses), but if your dupe relies on the oxygen produced from water, that may not be enough.

13 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

This concept is challenged by my friend so it came out like this

This base is 15x15 (included wall) :)

I think it's going to have a lot of heat related problems. The hydrogen generator doesn't appear to be cooled by anything so it will overheat eventually. Similarly tepidizer, I see nothing that would keep dropping the temperature it causes so I believe it's going to fill the room with steam that won't condense.

On 7/14/2017 at 1:54 AM, Masterpintsman said:

I think you could remove the polluted water pump to make it even smaller, also I question if he actually needs a shower...

Care to post the save?

save attached

23 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Since you already use questionable mechanics (tepidizer overheating exploit), you could go all the way and also use the following:

• Medical cot instead of food (bugged perma-ill dupes can lie on it all day)
  • Use polluted oxygen (from evaporated piss) instead of clean one, polluted oxygen doesn't get used up by breathing

Are you sure the base is truly sustainable, though? What's the math on water usage? I assume you are getting some extra water from the toilet (it produces more than it uses), but if your dupe relies on the oxygen produced from water, that may not be enough.

polluted O2 not used but dupe can breath? that interesting 

Actually i didn't test it my base is fully sustainable and if i don't use oxygen produced from water then i might need puff and get algae ?

13 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I think it's going to have a lot of heat related problems. The hydrogen generator doesn't appear to be cooled by anything so it will overheat eventually. Similarly tepidizer, I see nothing that would keep dropping the temperature it causes so I believe it's going to fill the room with steam that won't condense.

yup that steam won't condense if it was too much of them (It condense by touching water in the room)

water will heat up and will glitched by toilet

Solo.sav

It is 48 wheat grains every 20 cycles (2 for replanting) 3*cycle for frostbun. So he/she would need one additional planter for 60+theshold. Also I would be concern about runaway freezing of the living area without constant player supervision.

I actually had an idea for this built around a water geyser, used peppernuts to dispose of waste water and regulator to keep the sleet wheat temp controlled  autonomously.

I feel like this question should also require that the population be sufficient to ward off genetic defects due to inbreeding. Population bottlenecks like these can be disastrous after many generations even if the numbers are physically sufficient to care for one another and maintain shelter, food, water, etc.

3 hours ago, Rosielukas said:

I feel like this question should also require that the population be sufficient to ward off genetic defects due to inbreeding. Population bottlenecks like these can be disastrous after many generations even if the numbers are physically sufficient to care for one another and maintain shelter, food, water, etc.

Assumes there is breeding beyond printing. :)

On 14/07/2017 at 8:18 AM, Kasuha said:

I think it's going to have a lot of heat related problems. The hydrogen generator doesn't appear to be cooled by anything so it will overheat eventually. 

A granite floor below between the electro and hydrogen gen would probably help with that though, and maybe the pumproom wall too - rejiggle the wheezeworts and I think that'd be an easy fix. 

It's an interesting idea, but not a novel one - has been said many times before. The nature of an early access game is that of constantly changing game mechanics/kit - so it makes these mini-challenges a bit short lived sadly. 

I.e. the next update could unravel this colony overnight. I'd love to see more of this when updates have finished though, I would wager that a less compartmentalised approach would probably be best for overall heat management - the rest is easy :p 

Archived