How to make negative insulation

I'm trying to make a pair of characters, one that is better in heat and worse in cold, while the other is better in cold and worse in heat. I noticed that the temperature.lua component in the base DST game has this line for beards:

if self.inst.components.beard ~= nil then
        --Beards help winterInsulation but hurt summerInsulation
        winterInsulation = winterInsulation + self.inst.components.beard:GetInsulation()
        summerInsulation = summerInsulation - self.inst.components.beard:GetInsulation()
    end

This is exactly the kind of argument I'm looking for; I want the characters to have inherent insulation that benefits during one season, but harms in the other. How do I program such a thing into my characters?

Insulation is never a direct penalty (because of return math.max(0, winterInsulation), math.max(0, summerInsulation) ), so the penalty for negative values for inherentinsulation or inherentwinterinsulation is that they make proper insulation less effective. If you want a negative to be applied regardless, you can try adding something like this in your master_postinit's (untested):

local OldGetInsulation = inst.components.temperature.GetInsulation
inst.components.temperature.GetInsulation = function(self)
	local a, b = OldGetInsulation(self)
	return a + TUNING.INSULATION_MED, b - TUNING.INSULATION_MED
end

and

return a - TUNING.INSULATION_MED, b + TUNING.INSULATION_MED
end

So, both those lines of code have the incredibly odd effect of RAISING my temperature during winter.

Instead of messing with insulation levels, is there a way to adjust the temperature at which a character freezes? I know you can set the overheating temperature with (inst.components.temperature.overheattemp = x), but I've found no such easy fix for freezing, since it seems to just be below zero in the core temperature component file.

23 minutes ago, KirbyJParasol said:

So, both those lines of code have the incredibly odd effect of RAISING my temperature during winter.

Eh... the relevant code from the OnUpdate function in the Temperature component:

if ambient_temperature >= TUNING.STARTING_TEMP then
            -- it's warm out
            if self.delta > 0 then
                -- If the player is heating up, defend using insulation.
                local winterInsulation, summerInsulation = self:GetInsulation()
                self.rate = math.min(self.delta, TUNING.SEG_TIME / (TUNING.SEG_TIME + summerInsulation))
            else
                -- If they are cooling, do it at full speed, and faster if they're overheated
                self.rate = math.max(self.delta, self.current >= self.overheattemp and -TUNING.THAW_DEGREES_PER_SEC or -TUNING.WARM_DEGREES_PER_SEC)
            end
        -- it's cold out
        elseif self.delta < 0 then
            -- If the player is cooling, defend using insulation.
            local winterInsulation, summerInsulation = self:GetInsulation()
            self.rate = math.max(self.delta, -TUNING.SEG_TIME / (TUNING.SEG_TIME + winterInsulation))
        else
            -- If they are heating up, do it at full speed, and faster if they're freezing
            self.rate = math.min(self.delta, self.current <= 0 and TUNING.THAW_DEGREES_PER_SEC or TUNING.WARM_DEGREES_PER_SEC)
        end

It assumes winterInsulation and summerInsulation are non-negative. Since my proposed TUNING.INSULATION_MED is greater than TUNING.SEG_TIME, it messes up everything. Try this

return a + TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR, b - TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR

and this

return a - TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR, b + TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR

instead, where TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR is strictly less than TUNING.SEG_TIME (30) and TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR is any positive value; define them somewhere in your code. Tune them as you see fit. You might want to keep TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR small, keep using inherentinsulation and inherentsummerinsulation (positive and negative accordingly), and change TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR or remove it altogether. You should be able tune the values directly from the console.

ThePlayer.components.temperature.inherentinsulation = -20
ThePlayer.components.temperature.inherentsummerinsulation = 100
TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR = 500
TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR = 3		--silly test values

--

33 minutes ago, KirbyJParasol said:

Instead of messing with insulation levels, is there a way to adjust the temperature at which a character freezes? I know you can set the overheating temperature with (inst.components.temperature.overheattemp = x), but I've found no such easy fix for freezing, since it seems to just be below zero in the core temperature component file.

Silly idea: copy the whole temperature.lua to a new component file, say alttemp.lua, change a few zeroes to self.freezetemp, then add something like

inst:RemoveComponent("temperature")
inst:AddComponent("alttemp")
inst.components.alttemp.freezetemp = -10
inst.components.temperature = inst.components.alttemp

to your master_postinit and hope that it works.

Tl;dr is that I screwed up before when suggesting b - TUNING.INSULATION_MED. The OnUpdate function governs how to update the player's temperature and it expects the GetInsulation function to return zero or positive values for winterInsulation and summerInsulation. Since TUNING.INSULATION_MED (120) is greater than TUNING.SEG_TIME (30), the line 

self.rate = math.max(self.delta, -TUNING.SEG_TIME / (TUNING.SEG_TIME + winterInsulation))

from the OnUpdate function can result in a positive number instead of the negative expected, which ends up increasing your temperature when it's cold.

So my suggestion is to use something like

inst.components.temperature.inherentinsulation = 100
inst.components.temperature.inherentsummerinsulation = -20
	return a + TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR, b - TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR
end

in your master_postinit for one of your characters, define TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR and TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR anywhere in your code:

TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR = 50
TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR = 10
Spoiler

If you're defining it in your modmain.lua, you need to add a GLOBAL:

GLOBAL.TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR = 50
GLOBAL.TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR = 10

Jump into the game and test it. Use the console commands I mentioned before to change the values on the fly and find what values fit you best. Remember that MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR should always be less than 30.Then do the same for the other character.

Spoiler

inst.components.temperature.inherentinsulation = -20
inst.components.temperature.inherentsummerinsulation = 100
	return a - TUNING.MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR, b + TUNING.MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR
end

No need to define MY_POSITIVE_INSULATOR and MY_NEGATIVE_INSULATOR again. Use other constants if you want to use different values for your characters.

--

Quote whatever parts of text or code you don't understand and I'll try to be clearer. Don't be afraid to ask, but do let me know what you think it could mean (if anything), so I can more or less know where you're at.