Maxwell's Quotes: The 25 Most Interesting Ones (Opinion and Lore Based List)

I spent far too long examining almost every. Single. Maxwell quote on the Wiki and have uncovered some interesting things that only either 1) Maxwell Players or 2) Others who have spent an hour looking at Maxwell's quotes (Wait... Who else DID THIS?) will know. So sit back, and be educated! (Eh... more or less...) This list is in no particular order.

1) Maxwell knew Lucy. Could lead to speculations on how Woodie and Maxwell relate ("Ah. How have you been, Lucy?")

2) Most any Maxwell player has probably noticed that Maxwell calls the World of Don't Starve's moon- "The 'Moon'" (  "The gem conjures water springs in conjunction with the "moon's" cycles." )

3) The Ruins of the Ancient's city has a pulse, apparently. How odd, as Nightmare Fuel has been described as "still warm" by Willow. Odd, as animals with warm bodies are considered to have been alive, at some point. Alive. Alive. ("The pulse is quickening." -Thulecite Medallion (rising high))

4) Maxwell refers to the Houndius Shootius as his own work. Why would he make it? What does he have to protect himself from? He knows he cannot be killed upon the nightmare throne. But perhaps it is the one thing that likely can kill him upon the throne he fears... Also, he (spoilers for later facts) is know to be friends with the Ancient Guardian. So why does it require Ancient Guardian to be dead to make? Although, I suppose Maxwell may not have needed the ingredients. But then why would the Ancients have it in their Pseudoscience Station, if Maxwell made it. And why would it require the Horn of the Ancient Guardian. As in... GUARDIAN of the ANCIENTS... Who knows... ("Some of my better work.")

5) Maxwell must have known the Dragonfly before, when it... was young? Or some similar creature, as the Broodling, upon examination, explains "Just like old times"

6) Heavenly Eggnog is Maxwell's favorite, he proclaims. He seems completely touched by the fact that he believes Charlie, who was ruling the nightmare throne at the time, added it for him. This honestly was touching, even to me, when I saw this quote... ("My... favorite... she remembered.")

7) Maxwell says there is a story behind the Touch Stone and its' existence. How odd, I'd like to hear... ("There's a story behind that...")

8) The "Headless Harp Statue" was made by Maxwell, although unlike the Clockworks, he isn't too proud of it ("Not my best work"). However, the Marble Pillars weren't created by him, and he doesn't even know who by. ("I've always wondered who built those")

9) Maxwell remembers every past explorer he comes across. This means either the surface was uninhabited until Maxwell arrived, or the only other human remains have long since past decomposition of even skeletons... So yeah, probably the first... ("Ha! I remember that one.")

10) Charlie's personality is hinted in the Florid Postern... Not that any Maxwell player hasn't noticed ("Always did have a flair for the dramatic...")

11) In relation to the Moon Stone, he has some interesting comments to make. He says "Ruins of an ancient relic." in relation to the non-repaired Moon Stone. This gives me two ideas- the usage of "ancient" is likely not referring to the Ancients, as it is non-plural and lowercase. This does show, however, nearly for certain that the Don't Starve World existed LONG before Maxwell. Also to aid in this idea is that the repaired Moon Stone has a different quote, "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago."

12) "I plugged it a long time ago." (Plugged Sinkhole) "That was not a good idea!" (Opened Sinkhole) "Get me out of here!" (Rope to surface from Caves) Well then, Maxwell, we know something isn't too great about the Caves... What are you hiding?

13) Ancients SPEED ROUND: (Nightmare Light) "The overuse of fuel was their downfall", (Ancient Statues) "A once proud race.", (Ancient Pseudoscience Station {broken})- "This can be partially restored.", (Ancient Pseudoscience Station {repaired})- "Where are their gods now?", (Ancient Chest)- "A relic best forgotten.", (Ancient Mural {first})- "A picture of the city, before the fuel.", (Ancient Mural {second})- "We all know that happens next.", (Ancient Mural {third})- "They gained such an enviable power…", (Ancient Mural {fourth})- "I know why you led me back here.", (Ancient Mural {fifth})- "But it won't work."

14) Fun Fact: Fire and Ice hounds are Hounds Maxwell stuck a gem in either "as a joke" or due to a surplus or gems. ("I put fire gems in there as a joke." and "I had a lot of surplus gems!") Also, Hound Mounds go to the underground Hound Nests ("It's a tunnel down to the hound nests.")

15) Swamp SPEED ROUND: (Rundown House) "They copied the pigs, but they're even less intelligent.", (Merm) "They were here when I got here.", (Tentacle) "I'm glad the rest of it is still down there.", (Tentacle Spots) "This is how they reproduce.", (Tentapillar {Big Tentacle}) "How deep does this go?"

16) The ghosts remember Maxwell... No wonder they attack! ("It remembers me!")

17) Maxwell also seemed to know the MacTusk, as he seems friendly towards it, but it seems to not remember him. ("Don't you recognize me?")

18) Dangling Depth Dwellers were apparently different In-Game from Maxwell's last check on the Caves- He claims they change at a terrifying rate! ("Creatures in this world evolve at a terrifying rate.")

19) Depth Worms are apparently new to Maxwell, more proof of the quick evolving species ("Well that's new!")

20) Rock Lobsters were once on the surface. Maxwell claims he banished them to the underground, for a reason. ("I banished these guys down here for a reason.")

21) Ahhh, time to cover the great bird mystery. I'll just shove all of this into one fact. Are you ready? Ahem... Maxwell doesn't know much about the birds. He proclaims he doesn't know how the Crows got there, that the Redbirds come from the firelands, likely a land we haven't explored, and that the Snowbirds are just completely new to him. (Crow- "I don't know how they got here.", Redbird- "The redbird comes from the fire lands.", and Snowbird- "I don't recognize that one.") Also, apparently Maxwell doesn't like the Canaries, as his quote sounds like confused disgust ("How do these things keep getting into my world?"). Tallbirds are seemingly a genetic experiment, a failed one at that. ("These were a failed experiment."). Perhaps it was to do with the uncertainty of the birds? Also, Tallbird nests are made of dirty Beefalo hairs...

22) Maxwell knows about Chester's strange resurrection abilities, or that there are more Chesters, as he says to a Eyebone turned to dust, "Don't worry. There will be more Chesters."

23) Maxwell was seemingly great friends with the Ancient Guardian. The Guardian was likely very different when Maxwell knew him, as he proclaims "My my, the fuel has changed you." And when the Guardian dies, his horn's examination says "I'm sorry I have to do that, old friend." Even more saddening is when Maxwell examines the Large Ornate Chest, which appears when the Guardian dies, he says "It's almost like he's still alive." He misses his old friend, huh?

24) Green and Orange Gems seem to be prone to Nightmare Fuel (Green Gem- "The nightmare fuel will unlock its true potential.", Orange Gem- "This will be quite powerful with some fuel."), How funny, considering these are gems in the ruins. And the Desert Stones are claimed to be "An impure orange gem.". Could this mean that the lack of fuel it has received from being with the Antlion made it this way? And also, how did the Antlion get an orange gem? Aren't they from the Ruins?

25) The Obelisk only half-exists on the plane we're in when we play Don't Starve. I suppose, since it is theorized that the shadows like Mr. Skits and the Crawling Horror are only half on our plane, only accessible when we go crazy. Perhaps that is how Obelisks can rise and lower, with Mr. Skits popping in and out of it to rise and lower it. ("It only half-exists on this plane")

BONUS: (Frayed Yarn- "The monster child gets tangled in this frequently.") Can anyone else imagine Webber playing with the Yarn? And getting tangled? WOULD THAT NOT BE HILARIOUS?

If I missed anything, or if you think something else should be added, then please tell me!

And if you actually read all of these quotes and my minor theories, then please, do tell! (And you earned a gold star!)

i do love the great work on examination (except one char) in this game, maxwell is kinda most interesting though, since there's a lot of new knowledge to us

but my absolute favorite is still basalt:

I made a rock so heavy that even I cannot lift it.

I also like to read quotes, they give a lot to the atmosphere and background to the game... :) Though I usually read every one of them, they're all very interesting. I also have a separated text file where I collect my favourites.

By the way, did you know that you can simply read the characters' quotes in their files? I could recommend it, it's much faster to find specific quotes and see many similar ones next to each other. And if you like Maxwell, there's another reason to read his speech file... which I don't want to tell you why, you will see! ;)

3 hours ago, Just Another Webber said:

1) Maxwell knew Lucy. Could lead to speculations on how Woodie and Maxwell relate ("Ah. How have you been, Lucy?")

Well, Maxwell could know Lucy from simply watching Woodie while Maxwell was still on the throne. Or it's possible Maxwell was introduced to Lucy by Woodie during the events of DST. There's quotes in DST that imply they've all met each other at some point. I personally don't think there's too much to look into here.

2 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

but my absolute favorite is still basalt:

I made a rock so heavy that even I cannot lift it.

Ah, I love that one too. Really shows his ego though. It's a reference to the "Can God make a rock too heavy even he can't lift it?" paradox.

Oh, I just remembered my favourite Maxwell-quotes: 

INUSE = "Worry not, pal. I've the patience of a saint.",
    INUSE = "I'm quite adept at waiting. I've had a lot of practice."

I love how ironic he still is sometimes. (Btw, these are the quotes he sais when he wants to use a chest/fridge/etc but that's currently occupied)

The Characters' quotes about each other are also really interesting. Staying at Maxwell, his quotes about WX:

REVIVER = "%s never did respect human mortality.",
    GHOST = "A shame about your death, %s. You were the only one I half-liked.",

Hm...

7 hours ago, Just Another Webber said:
  1.  1) Maxwell knew Lucy. Could lead to speculations on how Woodie and Maxwell relate ("Ah. How have you been, Lucy?")
  2. 2) Most any Maxwell player has probably noticed that Maxwell calls the World of Don't Starve's moon- "The 'Moon'" (  "The gem conjures water springs in conjunction with the "moon's" cycles." )
  3. 3) The Ruins of the Ancient's city has a pulse, apparently. How odd, as Nightmare Fuel has been described as "still warm" by Willow. Odd, as animals with warm bodies are considered to have been alive, at some point. Alive. Alive. ("The pulse is quickening." -Thulecite Medallion (rising high))
  4. 4) Maxwell refers to the Houndius Shootius as his own work. Why would he make it? What does he have to protect himself from? He knows he cannot be killed upon the nightmare throne. But perhaps it is the one thing that likely can kill him upon the throne he fears... Also, he (spoilers for later facts) is know to be friends with the Ancient Guardian. So why does it require Ancient Guardian to be dead to make? Although, I suppose Maxwell may not have needed the ingredients. But then why would the Ancients have it in their Pseudoscience Station, if Maxwell made it. And why would it require the Horn of the Ancient Guardian. As in... GUARDIAN of the ANCIENTS... Who knows... ("Some of my better work.")
  5. 7) Maxwell says there is a story behind the Touch Stone and its' existence. How odd, I'd like to hear... ("There's a story behind that...")
  6. 8) The "Headless Harp Statue" was made by Maxwell, although unlike the Clockworks, he isn't too proud of it ("Not my best work"). However, the Marble Pillars weren't created by him, and he doesn't even know who by. ("I've always wondered who built those")
  7. 9) Maxwell remembers every past explorer he comes across. This means either the surface was uninhabited until Maxwell arrived, or the only other human remains have long since past decomposition of even skeletons... So yeah, probably the first... ("Ha! I remember that one.")
  8. 11) In relation to the Moon Stone, he has some interesting comments to make. He says "Ruins of an ancient relic." in relation to the non-repaired Moon Stone. This gives me two ideas- the usage of "ancient" is likely not referring to the Ancients, as it is non-plural and lowercase. This does show, however, nearly for certain that the Don't Starve World existed LONG before Maxwell. Also to aid in this idea is that the repaired Moon Stone has a different quote, "I had thought these were all destroyed eons ago."
  9. 12) "I plugged it a long time ago." (Plugged Sinkhole) "That was not a good idea!" (Opened Sinkhole) "Get me out of here!" (Rope to surface from Caves) Well then, Maxwell, we know something isn't too great about the Caves... What are you hiding?
  10. 14) Fun Fact: Fire and Ice hounds are Hounds Maxwell stuck a gem in either "as a joke" or due to a surplus or gems. ("I put fire gems in there as a joke." and "I had a lot of surplus gems!") Also, Hound Mounds go to the underground Hound Nests ("It's a tunnel down to the hound nests.")
  11. 15) Swamp SPEED ROUND: (Rundown House) "They copied the pigs, but they're even less intelligent.", (Merm) "They were here when I got here.", (Tentacle) "I'm glad the rest of it is still down there.", (Tentacle Spots) "This is how they reproduce."
  12. 16) The ghosts remember Maxwell... No wonder they attack! ("It remembers me!")
  13. 17) Maxwell also seemed to know the MacTusk, as he seems friendly towards it, but it seems to not remember him. ("Don't you recognize me?")
  14. 18) Dangling Depth Dwellers were apparently different In-Game from Maxwell's last check on the Caves- He claims they change at a terrifying rate! ("Creatures in this world evolve at a terrifying rate.") 19) Depth Worms are apparently new to Maxwell, more proof of the quick evolving species ("Well that's new!")
  15. 20) Rock Lobsters were once on the surface. Maxwell claims he banished them to the underground, for a reason. ("I banished these guys down here for a reason.")
  16. 21) Ahhh, time to cover the great bird mystery. I'll just shove all of this into one fact. Are you ready? Ahem... Maxwell doesn't know much about the birds. He proclaims he doesn't know how the Crows got there, that the Redbirds come from the firelands, likely a land we haven't explored, and that the Snowbirds are just completely new to him. (Crow- "I don't know how they got here.", Redbird- "The redbird comes from the fire lands.", and Snowbird- "I don't recognize that one.") Also, apparently Maxwell doesn't like the Canaries, as his quote sounds like confused disgust ("How do these things keep getting into my world?"). Tallbirds are seemingly a genetic experiment, a failed one at that. ("These were a failed experiment."). Perhaps it was to do with the uncertainty of the birds? Also, Tallbird nests are made of dirty Beefalo hairs...
  17. 23) Maxwell was seemingly great friends with the Ancient Guardian. The Guardian was likely very different when Maxwell knew him, as he proclaims "My my, the fuel has changed you." And when the Guardian dies, his horn's examination says "I'm sorry I have to do that, old friend." Even more saddening is when Maxwell examines the Large Ornate Chest, which appears when the Guardian dies, he says "It's almost like he's still alive." He misses his old friend, huh?
  18. 24) Green and Orange Gems seem to be prone to Nightmare Fuel (Green Gem- "The nightmare fuel will unlock its true potential.", Orange Gem- "This will be quite powerful with some fuel."), How funny, considering these are gems in the ruins. And the Desert Stones are claimed to be "An impure orange gem.". Could this mean that the lack of fuel it has received from being with the Antlion made it this way? And also, how did the Antlion get an orange gem? Aren't they from the Ruins?
  19. BONUS: (Frayed Yarn- "The monster child gets tangled in this frequently.") Can anyone else imagine Webber playing with the Yarn? And getting tangled? WOULD THAT NOT BE HILARIOUS?
  1. Wait a sec... So if Maxwell did now both Lucy and Woodie, Woodie should have his background revealed sometime. He's a mystery to be honest. Especially since Woodie is from Canada and MAxwell's personality change happened in the United States.
  2. I always imagined the world in Don't Starve to be more of a emulation, looking like a play, than being a actual moon. So I'm with Maxwell on this one.
  3. That explains the purple glowing lines in the ruins. They represent the atrium veins.
  4. Not really sure why the ancient guardian is considered MAxwell's friend but also a sacrifice for the lazer...
  5. Maxwell figured save points would be a thing. :wilson_ecstatic:
  6. Priapus makes to the shadow world.pngHe's not proud since the head is basically him. Maxwell doesn't want to see himself as a midget.
  7. Apparently the official timeline says that others came before Wilson. So yeah, Maxwell did create most of the visuals in the first game.
  8. Possibly a connection to THEM?
  9. Whatever Charlie uncovered in "What Lies Beyond"?
  10. There's a thread about what people would love to see in the future of the game, and a hound nest in the ruins sounds like something players would love to find. Makes me think of those on-surface spider dens.
  11. Merms could be another ancient group if they already existed. They seem to know ingenuity. That could be another thing the developers could look into in the future.
  12. Just like with 7, if people who were brought in by Maxwell, no wonder they're mad.:wilson_ecstatic:
  13. I can only guess it's due to M/waxwell not being on the throne anymore. MacTusk probably treated Maxwell's npc shadow clone with respect due to him being the king.
  14. So I suppose that MAxwell basically made THEM-technology ai and the creatures found a way(a la Jurassic park).
  15. Another mystery that the future of the game could be explored. What could be so dangerous about the rocklobsters to him?
  16. woodies freudian excuse.pngSo... MAxwell and Woodie both share a phobia of Birds? :wilson_shocked:
  17. Seems like with MacTusk, things were different when Maxwell was on the throne. Creatures revered his power yet once off the throne, the trust was lost.
  18. Orange as a theme seems to be connected with the ancients. The antlion has that color, so perhaps the antlion's power comes from the Thulians(lobster people)?
  19. Perhaps Webber has catlike tendencies we're not aware of.:wilson_sneaky:

Sorry for the long wait, lot of things happened today. Wanted to respond but had to do some things. Thanks for the follow too.ariel thumbs up.png

One of my favourite Maxwell quotes will always be awesomely sinister and somewhat bitter "If only the world had a single neck." when examining a razor.

Something I find quite interesting, the OP didn't mention, is that Maxwell seems to be aware that he's a videogame character. For example: "This must be game logic." (opulent pickaxe) or "Pocket-sized wall pieces. Yup." Can't think of other examples, but I'm pretty sure there are more. Also, as a part of some of the puzzles, he used to leave messages addressed to the players directly.

On 9.07.2017 at 4:36 PM, Just Another Webber said:

Characters in DS Together often mention other chars. So what I mean by that is - he probably saw Woodie talking to his axe. He knows that "her" name is Lucy. But he didn't knew them earlier.

Also, Tallbird nests are made of dirty Beefalo hairs...

Wow really? I never noticed it... Nests aren't just made from grass?

And the Desert Stones are claimed to be "An impure orange gem.". Could this mean that the lack of fuel it has received from being with the Antlion made it this way? And also, how did the Antlion get an orange gem? Aren't they from the Ruins?

Well, the orange gem --> he could get it from the ruins (he can dig through the ground I think). - OR - Maybe there are some desert stones deeper in the ground. And the ones that fell to the caves (via earthquakes) turned to orange gems - when nightmare fuel started to work.

On 10/07/2017 at 0:36 AM, Just Another Webber said:

Crow- "I don't know how they got here."

There's actually a cool theory (not mine) on how the crows got into the DS world. In the 'Forbidden Knowledge Trailer,' this crow:
crow.PNG
might have gotten pulled into the Maxwell's Door that Wilson built and layed eggs in the DS universe, therefore commencing a race of incestuous crows living in Maxwell's World. (Not that that has anything to do with anything, but hey, I like it)

And as a Maxwell main myself I often find his quotes quite interesting to read. I also love the idea of the more powerful characters in a video game being aware that they're a character in a game, i.e. Sans from Undertale. [lol I'm an uncultured swine and can't think of any more examples for that, I'm 100% sure that there's more.]

On 7/9/2017 at 10:36 AM, Just Another Webber said:

3) The Ruins of the Ancient's city has a pulse, apparently. How odd, as Nightmare Fuel has been described as "still warm" by Willow. Odd, as animals with warm bodies are considered to have been alive, at some point. Alive. Alive. ("The pulse is quickening." -Thulecite Medallion (rising high))

This was number three?

Pulse can also refer to energy pulse, the pulse of something flowing through channels. It is comparative to how blood flows because blood is the exact same system, but not literally is this intrinsic to living beings. There's been lots of magical items in games that have been described to pulse with something, it's a typical descriptive word for tangible throbbing which is a classic magical concept.

Nightmare Fuel is not warm. If you look at the other character examine options, Webber mentions it is cold. This is because the Nightmare Fuel changes its subtle properties to match the beholder, because it is based on the psyche of living creatures it is thus influenced by them. Willow feels that it is warm because she's obsessed with fire. The exact same premise is applied to the Shadow Thurible, in which multiple characters describe that it smells as something completely different, based off the thing they are most interested in. Wilson smells Chemicals, Willow smells Burnt Hair, Maxwell smells Roses. Because the Thurible is burning Nightmare Fuel.

It is the same with how all of the Shadows are made of Nightmare Fuel, and comparisons have been made between most of them and various Ancients. Because the Nightmare Fuel is copying their general image, for one of multiple possible reasons.

On July 15, 2017 at 2:42 AM, The Curator said:

This was number three?

Pulse can also refer to energy pulse, the pulse of something flowing through channels. It is comparative to how blood flows because blood is the exact same system, but not literally is this intrinsic to living beings. There's been lots of magical items in games that have been described to pulse with something, it's a typical descriptive word for tangible throbbing which is a classic magical concept.

Nightmare Fuel is not warm. If you look at the other character examine options, Webber mentions it is cold. This is because the Nightmare Fuel changes its subtle properties to match the beholder, because it is based on the psyche of living creatures it is thus influenced by them. Willow feels that it is warm because she's obsessed with fire. The exact same premise is applied to the Shadow Thurible, in which multiple characters describe that it smells as something completely different, based off the thing they are most interested in. Wilson smells Chemicals, Willow smells Burnt Hair, Maxwell smells Roses. Because the Thurible is burning Nightmare Fuel.

It is the same with how all of the Shadows are made of Nightmare Fuel, and comparisons have been made between most of them and various Ancients. Because the Nightmare Fuel is copying their general image, for one of multiple possible reasons.

Building off that if you want to bring in a reference from another game, Darkest Dungeon, that pulse could be the Heart of Darkness (very appropriate name for DST's situation) - the heart of the world, "the cosmic hideousness that dwells within us all." The cycles themselves being 'it' trying to break out of its prison or cage if you prefer.

Probably not the case of course, but what a crossover that would be.

Archived