Editing a mod's sprite help

So I was browsing the steam workshop when I saw Rem and Ram, however the sprite work for Rem wasn't as good as Ram's. I edited the sheet, flipping the hair, recolouring, etc, and everything but the eyes work. 

Mod I'm editing: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=908771355&searchtext=Ram

Ram's sprite sheet: http://imgur.com/VsCUGdv

My edited sprite sheet (unfinished, wanted to test): http://i.imgur.com/Wimdpxo.png

The results: http://i.imgur.com/XLkjFLP.jpg

Could anyone explain what I need to do to fix this problem? I imagine it has something to do with moving the position of the eyes on the sprite sheet.

Edit for more information:   I went into the anim folder for the mod, and unzipped the main one named "ram", then used a .tex converter to make the atlas file a png, which I edited, including flipping the eyes and heads. Then I converted it back into a .tex file. Heads worked fine because I assume there wasn't much difference in flipping them.

I don't intend to release, or publish any of this, and I'm not trying to infringe any creator's rights, I just wanted to create this for personal use.

Edited by Foxfire Ahri

I've never worked with character mod, so I'm just guessing - have you recompiled the animations? That process determines which parts of the sprite sheet are opaque - flipping the eyes means you've placed the eye into an area which was during previous compilation considered transparent, and thus not rendered.

On 7/8/2017 at 11:17 PM, myxal said:

I've never worked with character mod, so I'm just guessing - have you recompiled the animations? That process determines which parts of the sprite sheet are opaque - flipping the eyes means you've placed the eye into an area which was during previous compilation considered transparent, and thus not rendered.

I'm still very new to this, and I'm not sure how to go about doing that, I'll try to find a tutorial, but any help would be appreciated!

"I imagine it has something to do with moving the position of the eyes on the sprite sheet. "

If you're just editing the tex files that sounds like the problem to me, isn't it possible to avoid that?(did you move the eyes?)

Perhaps upload both the old and new tex files?

Depending on the methods you used(if you just edited the tex files) it can be because you flipped the eye's location.

Edited by spideswine

50 minutes ago, spideswine said:

"I imagine it has something to do with moving the position of the eyes on the sprite sheet. "

If you're just editing the tex files that sounds like the problem to me, isn't it possible to avoid that?(did you move the eyes?)

Perhaps upload both the old and new tex files?

Depending on the methods you used(if you just edited the tex files) it can be because you flipped the eye's location.

I did, I went into the anim folder for the mod, and unzipped the main one named "ram", then used a .tex converter to make the atlas file a png, which I edited, including flipping the eyes and heads. Then I converted it back into a .tex file. Heads worked fine because I assume there wasn't much difference in flipping them.

atlas-1.tex

atlas-1 modified.tex

Edited by Foxfire Ahri

So yeah the eyeflip should be the source of the problem, using ktools(If you're interested just google for the tutorial), you can see where the clipping happens on the original file(grey areas are places where if you add something it will ignore it).

http://imgur.com/a/lmrop

You can try using the spriter, it should be able to make such a change, but my attempts at working with it have been not very successful.

Edited by spideswine

1 minute ago, spideswine said:

So yeah the eyeflip should be the source of the problem, using ktools(If you're interested just google for the tutorial), you can see where the clipping happens on the original file(grey areas are places where if you add something it will ignore it).

http://imgur.com/a/lmrop

Okay, thank you! But how do I fix it for my file? I need to flip the eyes because the original has hair over their left eye, and the right visible, while the version I'm trying to make has hair over their right eye, and their left eye visible.

Do I need to tell the mod where to render the eyes?  Or...

One solution is to use the character template and replace the images to create a clean spriter project.

I also wonder if you could reverse the characer in game instead of in the .tex file but i'm not sure it could work.

Far as I know(maybe some more experienced modders know better), unless you want to flip the eyes back(which I assume you don't), you'll need to use the spriter, my problem with it is that when I tried working with it it simply did not work, but it's supposed to work, so I don't know what to tell you about that.

7 minutes ago, Lumina said:

One solution is to use the character template and replace the images to create a clean spriter project.

I also wonder if you could reverse the characer in game instead of in the .tex file but i'm not sure it could work.

6 minutes ago, spideswine said:

Far as I know(maybe some more experienced modders know better), unless you want to flip the eyes back(which I assume you don't), you'll need to use the spriter, my problem with it is that when I tried working with it it simply did not work, but it's supposed to work, so I don't know what to tell you about that.

I have no idea how to use the spriter at all, is it hard? Or could something like this be fixed kind of easily?

The spriter is easy to use, but well, not too easy to get started with, you'll first need ktools to decomplie the thing into a spriter project, then use the exported folder(just make sure you have mod tools installed) to recomplie it...and based on my experience at least, it might simply end up not working.

Depending on the way this works lumina's way might be better, and the character template will be less work, and will be more likely to work.

16 minutes ago, spideswine said:

The spriter is easy to use, but well, not too easy to get started with, you'll first need ktools to decomplie the thing into a spriter project, then use the exported folder(just make sure you have mod tools installed) to recomplie it...and based on my experience at least, it might simply end up not working.

Depending on the way this works lumina's way might be better, and the character template will be less work, and will be more likely to work.

So if I wanted to try the second option, I'd just take a template, import the sprites I wanted, compile it, and use it instead of the original?

5 minutes ago, spideswine said:

Yes, that way you don't need to get used to ktools and it's probably more likely to work.

10 minutes ago, spideswine said:

Yes, that way you don't need to get used to ktools and it's probably more likely to work.

Where can I find the template/ktools? I did google but... https://gumroad.com/l/ktools if this is the right tool, they said it's no longer available.

6 hours ago, spideswine said:

Alright, thank you! I'm not quite sure how to use ktools, since it closes immediately for me. I tried drag and dropping files onto it, and using it's commands through command prompt.

Testing character template now...

Well I was trying to giving a more detailed response, but it triggers this website for whatever reason(I don't really get it either)

Let me try it as a picture

http://imgur.com/a/nMrxK

ktools may or may not require some prequisite things installed(I don't remember), so check the readme for those if this doesn't work.

*note that the | in the end of output_dir is just the mouse typing location, so don't enter that.

Edited by spideswine