Input and Output not clear and easily confusing

I honestly think for new players the input and output icons are just too confusing. 

White and Green really doesn't mean anything.

I apologize I am not much of an Artist - but I made some icons which will have much less confusion upon looking at it.

You will notice just by adding a single element of a half square - it clarifies the entire image within a second. 

Please consider updating the input and output of liquid and gas valves. 

q9SUBAJ.png

PXS0Fho.png

I'm confused. What's better on the upper row?

Besides, "it's colorful where things grow" is a good mnemonic for me to remember what's input and what's output. I had no problems adapting to that even though I had to get used to them switching over and now I go by colors, not by arrows. The arrows alone make too little of a difference.

2 hours ago, Fernir said:

The only way they could make it more readable is if they used vector symbols for vectors perpendicular to drawing plane.

They're easier to distinguish but not as self-explanatory.

1evIxhC.png

Your arrows are more visible however they absolutely don't fit game's art style.

Me and Kasuha's solution (we are not first to mention this solution) is less intuitive unless you are into physics but once understood is impossible to mistake input with output. Colors are helpful too.

4 hours ago, Fernir said:

Your arrows are more visible however they absolutely don't fit game's art style.

Me and Kasuha's solution (we are not first to mention this solution) is less intuitive unless you are into physics but once understood is impossible to mistake input with output. Colors are helpful too.

Why would it not fit the artstyle while the vector symbols would?

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, AlexRou said:

Why would it not fit the artstyle while the vector symbols would?

That could help, but the arrows as painted should be on the (green) output, while on the (white) input they should point inwards... IMHO.

I like the style on with the arrows on the box border (2nd image), as it's more clear.

I just came to post this same suggestion and saw this.  Here's my idea.  I was initially confused because the pipes are in the background, but the arrows show outputs into the foreground.  And the arrow also kind of implies the liquid is coming out of the pipe.  Simply swapping the arrow direction may help.

Edit: Also, it's a little weird to call a liquid vent an intake.  Not sure how to fix that without changing terms.

Before:

2017-07-02 (3).png

After [my crappy PS job]

2017-07-02 (4).png

40 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

That could help, but the arrows as painted should be on the (green) output, while on the (white) input they should point inwards... IMHO.

I like the style on with the arrows on the box border (2nd image), as it's more clear.

Yeah sorry about the direction, was lazy :p

In my mind, this would look pretty good animated too with the arrows moving in/out slowly.

23 minutes ago, GrimerX said:

I just came to post this same suggestion and saw this.  Here's my idea.  I was initially confused because the pipes are in the background, but the arrows show outputs into the foreground.  And the arrow also kind of implies the liquid is coming out of the pipe.  Simply swapping the arrow direction may help.

Edit: Also, it's a little weird to call a liquid vent an intake.  Not sure how to fix that without changing terms.

The arrows show the flow of fluid into/out of the building not the pipes. Vents have a input because fluid flows into the vent.

8 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

The arrows show the flow of fluid into/out of the building not the pipes. Vents have a input because fluid flows into the vent.

Ultimately playtesting will be more informative, but IMHO as an armchair quarterback the terminology and visuals should align with the perspective of pipes.  It's likely the player will be using that as a frame of reference since that's the overlay and the tool they'll be using at the time.  From that POV, INTAKE/OUTPUT terminology should be reversed.  The below feels much more natural (to me - which is always the case with design, lol)

2017-07-02 (5).png

I believe I do the same now as others have mentioned - just look at the colors.

2 hours ago, GrimerX said:

Ultimately playtesting will be more informative, but IMHO as an armchair quarterback the terminology and visuals should align with the perspective of pipes.  It's likely the player will be using that as a frame of reference since that's the overlay and the tool they'll be using at the time.  From that POV, INTAKE/OUTPUT terminology should be reversed.  The below feels much more natural (to me - which is always the case with design, lol)

2017-07-02 (5).png

I believe I do the same now as others have mentioned - just look at the colors.

Doing it that way makes no sense to me, so far the games I've played all have the arrows pointing the flow from the POV of the buildings.

If you've seen my mockups, having multiple arrows pointing in the direction of the pipes makes so much more sense.

6 hours ago, Fernir said:

Why can't be there few options?

It shouldn't be hard to allow moders to replace textures. 

It is hard because they don't even have a system for mods yet. So any and all mods are pretty much user hacks and that requires a ton of knowledge.

I always just picture the little square being the building, the arrow poins to the building, meaning the water goes there, and the arrow leaving the little square is the water leaving the building.

But now I just go (White is in)/(Green is out)

15 hours ago, Mooztik said:

By simply moving the square below, this icon is more simple to 'read'.

oni-arrows.jpg

For some obscure reason this is really better to read, at least for me, even with the pipes being constructed in the background.

Might stem from buildings being built on the ground (and we as humans being rooted to it, thanks to gravity) that the building (in the connector icon) being on the bottom is easier to parse for the brain...

This should definitively be implemented, IMHO, at least selectable.

Archived