Shosuko

Clockwork Rook tips

23 posts in this topic

I usually lead him into the edge or into hostiles and why he is distracted I just attack him 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

This is for the normal clockworks - not the shadow clockworks.  I play solo

I can fight the knight very well.  He is an easy pattern similar to a pigs.  Attack twice, dodge, repeat.

For the Bishop I just tank rush, and make sure I have good armor / health.

For Rook I kinda guide him out until he resets.  When he starts to hop back I can get in 3 attacks before he runs off again, and I just repeat this.

Are there any better ways of dealing with these mobs 1v1 that I'm not aware of?  I tried looking at videos and didn't see anything - figured I'd ask ^_^

You should probably prepare for fighting them in groups, because they pretty much always spawn in crowds. Attacking the bishops first is probably the best idea, since they have a massive ranged attack with decent damage (40). Since their attacks are extremely difficult to dodge, tanking them is probably the best idea. Be sure to bring a lot of armor, because if there aren't any other players around to kill the other clockworks, you will likely get attacked by more than just the bishop. After you've killed the bishops, lead the rooks away from the knights, because the knights are slow and will give up if you're far enough away from them. The best strategy to kill rooks is get them to charge at you. Once they've started charging, they cannot change direction resulting in an easy dodge. Hit them a few times, and as soon as they raise their foot and start pounding the ground, move far away from them so you can dodge their charge attack. Repeat. Then just kill the knights with the 2-hit kiting pattern.
Or you can just cheese the lot of them and get the rooks to charge into the other clockworks.

And, as @Donke60 said, you can just lead them to other hostile monsters.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why kill rooks? They are great woodcutters. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PuffinBy said:

Why kill rooks? They are great woodcutters. 

b/c they aren't farming wood in the ruins.

idk, maybe I should have pointed that out - this is more about ruins and clockworks.  They are the same mob so I didn't think it mattered - but I'm just not finding any ruins strategies / tips online right now to see if I can improve my game.  Maybe what I'm doing is mostly correct, maybe not.

Are there any tips that anyone has maybe specifically for clearing ruins clockworks?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeddoFreddo said:

The best strategy to kill rooks is get them to charge at you. Once they've started charging, they cannot change direction resulting in an easy dodge. Hit them a few times, and as soon as they raise their foot and start pounding the ground, move far away from them so you can dodge their charge attack. Repeat.

Alright I'll try that method.  Thank you ^_^

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you play solo, you are the host then, i suppose, that means 0 ping and that means you can do 3 hits on knights before dodging

for tanking bishops it's best to use snurtle shell and hide millisecond before shot comes out

yes, killing bishops is a good idea, say you come to area, you see 2 bishops, knight and a rook, i'd suggest to run to any bishop, hide in shell whenever you hear shots, dodge knight attacks and run away when rook charges, that move also gives chance to deal damage to bishops (rooks are best known for friendly fire)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tank the rook already

its not that complicated

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shosuko said:

This is for the normal clockworks - not the shadow clockworks.  I play solo

I can fight the knight very well.  He is an easy pattern similar to a pigs.  Attack twice, dodge, repeat.

For the Bishop I just tank rush, and make sure I have good armor / health.

For Rook I kinda guide him out until he resets.  When he starts to hop back I can get in 3 attacks before he runs off again, and I just repeat this.

Are there any better ways of dealing with these mobs 1v1 that I'm not aware of?  I tried looking at videos and didn't see anything - figured I'd ask ^_^

Advanced tactics. Use a torch and set the knights and bishops on fire, it stuns them so you can get ~10 hits in. Make sure not to kill them while they are burning (count hits) and it makes 2vs1ing the bishops and knights much easier. Hope this helped out!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens if you kill them on fire, do the gears turn to ash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JJburner said:

Advanced tactics. Use a torch and set the knights and bishops on fire, it stuns them so you can get ~10 hits in. Make sure not to kill them while they are burning (count hits) and it makes 2vs1ing the bishops and knights much easier. Hope this helped out!

Why not killing them while burning? Gears and gems can't burn. Or can they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DelroyBM said:

Why not killing them while burning? Gears and gems can't burn. Or can they?

Unfortunately in this case they do, if you kill them while burning they drop ashes

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait what? 

You can burn beings made of metal?

But howww?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

I USE the Rook to fight for me.  I make the Rook rush into the knights and utterly destroy them that way.  I also lead the hounds to them for a double whammy (hounds don't eat gears and the clockworks don't eat meat).  

Though I personally also tank all of them as well.  Just put on armor, grab a spear/spike, and proceed to whoop them.  I utterly destroy them and don't leave anyone spared!  tumblr_m8z7ctCStV1renasho1_400.gif

This is my preferred method to clear them out. Any resources around them too.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah getting the rook to kill the rest of them first AND knock down all the walls and statues and broken clockworks is not cheesing. It's the superior way. Double points for positioning yourself between two rooks then darting away as they charge so they collide.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angibot said:

Wait what? 

You can burn beings made of metal?

But howww?

ANY drop that can't be cooked will drop from a burning mob as Ashes. That excludes irreplaceable items (such as the Stag Antler) and inventory items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Arash70 said:

Tank the rook already

its not that complicated

Rooks have a long charge that damages on impact along its path and short charge that does not damage until it ends. If you hit them after they stop the long charge and before the short one ends, they can get stuck in a loop of recharging the short charge as long as you're attacking.

The loop also works on Ancient Guardian (despite having attack modifications) and much more effectively because it doesn't move when charging the charge, so no cheese pillar required. It's a bit tricky to pull off without triggering other attack conditions though.

Edited by HamBatter
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, thank you guys for all the feedback!  I really appreciate the new info I can use!

12 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

if you play solo, you are the host then, i suppose, that means 0 ping and that means you can do 3 hits on knights before dodging

for tanking bishops it's best to use snurtle shell and hide millisecond before shot comes out

yes, killing bishops is a good idea, say you come to area, you see 2 bishops, knight and a rook, i'd suggest to run to any bishop, hide in shell whenever you hear shots, dodge knight attacks and run away when rook charges, that move also gives chance to deal damage to bishops (rooks are best known for friendly fire)

This is a great suggestion.  I'll put farming a snurtle shell armor on priority.  I normally don't farm them because I either kite or tank mobs, but for Bishops that seems like a solid strategy since you have a good warning when they will attack.  This would let me go through a few bishops before worrying about healing where log armor lets enough damage pass through that I need to heal each time.

8 hours ago, JJburner said:

Advanced tactics. Use a torch and set the knights and bishops on fire, it stuns them so you can get ~10 hits in. Make sure not to kill them while they are burning (count hits) and it makes 2vs1ing the bishops and knights much easier. Hope this helped out!

This is simply brilliant - I've always avoided lighting mobs on fire as they can spread it, but in the clockworks that is pretty safe.  Just count the hits.  Does this work on rooks at all? (I'll definitely try this out in a sandbox to see)

2 hours ago, HamBatter said:

Rooks have a long charge that damages on impact along its path and short charge that does not damage until it ends. If you hit them after they stop the long charge and before the short one ends, they can get stuck in a loop of recharging the short charge as long as you're attacking.

The loop also works on Ancient Guardian (despite having attack modifications) and much more effectively because it doesn't move when charging the charge, so no cheese pillar required. It's a bit tricky to pull off without triggering other attack conditions though.

That is interesting...  I'll have to try that out in a sandbox to see.  I definitely wouldn't want to risk a new tactic like that after setting up a base haha.

11 hours ago, Arash70 said:

Tank the rook already

its not that complicated

 

 

Obviously the best advice.  That's why I play Wes, just tank all day and dps through it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So maybe a couple fire darts as a ranged weapon instead of a torch?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Piggermortis said:

So maybe a couple fire darts as a ranged weapon instead of a torch?

That's a good idea.  If there are 2 bishops together I could use a fire dart to light one while I fight the other.  This could buy me some time to either separate the one bishop, or finish it.

I haven't been able to test yet, but I wonder what the behavior is for a Rook on fire.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can kite for days but if it makes fighting easier...work smarter not harder haha

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tank it. Kite it. Lure it into other enemies. EASY. But why kill a baby woodcutter pet!?!?!? THIS IS MADNESS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now