Cheap PvP Tactics

Hi, today me and a couple of my friends started to play on a pvp server that I had set up (complete with a loot area and all) Me and my other friend (who I'll refer to as player #1) played as Wolfgang and my last friend (who I'll refer to as player #2) played as Wilson. From the beginning, I found a stoneyard and loaded up on a huge amount of Nitrite. Next, I went to Glommer's statue and gained a haiku flute. From their, I got a hoard of wood and grass (part of the wood I made in boards) as well as getting 17 nightmare fuel, 40 bluecaps, and 23 pigskin. For the last couple days until we where allowed to go to the loot area, I farmed mosquitos and filled up their packs to get water balloons. During this time player #1 died. Finally, I teleported using a telelocater staff that I gave everyone from the start to the loot area, only to find player #2. As he started toward me, I put him to sleep with my haiku flute and then splashed him with 2 waterballoons. Next, I built an endothermic fire next to him and addding loads of boards to it. Then it was just rinse and repeat. After a while he got down to really low hp because of freezing and I was able to finish him off with 2 blows from a darksword. After this he proceeded to rage quit and claimed that my strategy was so cheap. I replied by saying that it was as good as any other strategy (especially with Wickerbottom) Do any of you find this strategy cheap enough not to use on a pvp server (their are ways to avoid this!) and if so are their any other strategies in pvp that make you rage? 

Pan Flute by itself is already cheap as hell, which is why PvP servers disable it.

Sure you got Wickerbottom with Sleepytime Stories, but she doesn't just find it sitting on the ground, she has to make it. That, and it's a longer cast time and less durability.

Tbh you didn't even need the freezing tactic that you used at all, Wilson would've been stunlocked from you hitting him with a Dark Sword. So yea, sleepiness itself is the cheapest tactic in the game.

Just now, Scarecrow0_0 said:

I get what your saying but let's say I was playing as wicker and I did the same strat but with sleepitime stories, would it be cheap then?

It would still be cheap, but you can at least say you had to make the prestilhatitator first, and then go insane enough to get the nightmare fuel to use for the book. And even then, in your exact situation, the book would've worn out halfway through.

With the Pan Flute, it puts people to sleep before the character even puts their mouth on it. At least with Wickerbottom, you have to go through the 2 second long flipping animation before everything's put to sleep.

Again, sleepiness itself is a stupidly cheap tactic, but at least Wickerbottom's working for it.

1 hour ago, StarmanNess said:

It would still be cheap, but you can at least say you had to make the prestilhatitator first, and then go insane enough to get the nightmare fuel to use for the book.

All of that can be done during early game resource gathering and exploring, STS is just as cheap a tactic as a panflute.

1 hour ago, JellyUltra said:

All of that can be done during early game resource gathering and exploring, STS is just as cheap a tactic as a panflute.

Again, agree on Sleepytime Stories being cheap, but you just find the Pan Flute. You don't even have to work at all for it, you can just pick it up.

Wickerbottom has to make it, which isn't terribly difficult, but compared to the method of getting a Pan Flute, is harder.

And like I said earlier, Wickerbottom has to finish the animation in order for the book's effect to take place, whereas using a Pan Flute causes the effect to happen before the character even actually plays the flute. During the 2-4 seconds of Wickerbottom casting her book, someone smart enough could just rush her. Or use a ranged weapon.

Sleepytime Stories IS cheap to use, and basically the reason why Wickerbottom is the best (or second best?) PvP character, but it isn't as cheap as the Pan Flute.

1 hour ago, StarmanNess said:

And like I said earlier, Wickerbottom has to finish the animation in order for the book's effect to take place

And even then, since the Wickerbottom is already making a presti, it would make sense to potentially get blue gems for ice staves as well. After that its just a matter of timing the book with the player unfreezing.

Good use of what was available to you. If other players don't want tactics like that being used, rules should be set beforehand.

Heck, my favorite combo is Dark Sword, Pan Flute, Lazy Explorer and Molehat. Stay unseen in the darkness, wait for the right moment...teleport on top of your opponent, take advantage of their surprise. Jumpscare kills are rather hillarious.
Even better if the jerk was repairing clockworks while you were exploring the ruins to try and kill you indirectly a minute earlier.
If you're reading this WX, hi.

Another fun kill/extra damage method if you get the chance, and an opponent who's prototyping or doing something similar at night...
Ice staff.
Freeze them.
Put out their fire.
Pull out a torch, and stand far enough away that the light just barely doesn't reach them.
Heh.

Oh, and don't forget to dance.

Seriously though. I rarely PVP in games like this, but when I do...
I scare me.

So.. let me understand this "cheap" thingy: you find it "legit" probably to just kite-and-tank in a game where a mighty form Wolfgang exists? Yeah, various equipment but... a mighty Wolf against let's say Wilson, both with same gear - I wonder who will win :rolleyes: (or a Wig for that matter)

1 hour ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

So.. let me understand this "cheap" thingy: you find it "legit" probably to just kite-and-tank in a game where a mighty form Wolfgang exists? Yeah, various equipment but... a mighty Wolf against let's say Wilson, both with same gear - I wonder who will win :rolleyes: (or a Wig for that matter)

Ya, I totally get what your saying... The thing is that we all had free choice as to what character we wanted to choose so it was their call to play Wilson. Also, I get what people are saying abt this being a cheap tactic even with STS, I was just trying to find another way to kill someone instead of just getting the normal darksword, footballs helmets, and bluecaps and just hitting and running. Thanks for all the feedback

I think Don't starve together PVP shouldn't have "cheap" stuff.

The game is made for make the player able to do (almost) everything he want...You can send pigmans and bunnymans to help you kill him ,

burn his base, send water balloons like a d*ck from far away when it's night and you got Moogles..Whatever you want!

As long as it's not total cheese where the dude can't even do anything to begin with , it's not cheap.

Or if it's easier , it's like playing Minecraft and someone say you use cheap strategy when you use a Creeper for destroy bases..

1 hour ago, Brikelz said:

people actually play pvp in this game what

Yeah i didn't knew that either before some weeks ago..

Must be annoying as hell..

You go take a piss , you come back and all you can see left from your base are ashes...

4 hours ago, Angibot said:

You go take a piss , you come back and all you can see left from your base are ashes...

That's not how PvP works.

PvP doesn't typically last more than an in-game week or two. There are no bases. From the moment you're spawned in it's a rush for resources, trying to find the graveyard before anyone else, trying to set up a prestihatitator (or even a shadow manipulator) quickly, and maybe even getting ruins gear. Then people either start finding each other or meet up at the portal for fights.

If for some reason you do make a base, no one's going to burn it down. They're just going to prototype some stuff, hammer down anything valuable, and leave.

On 27.06.2017 at 11:46 PM, Scarecrow0_0 said:

Do any of you find this strategy cheap enough not to use on a pvp server (their are ways to avoid this!) and if so are their any other strategies in pvp that make you rage? 

It's "cheap shot" yeah - but come on it's PVP. Are you guys expecting a killing etiquette? If it works, then why not? Not all people are paladins ;p

Archived