So, my first post here although I've been lurking for a solid week or so reading others.    I've got over 100 hours into the game, so I am pretty familiar with it, as I have had quite a few breakthroughs and am at the point now, where my main concern is temperature (specifically heat) management.   I've read that you have all stated that your really can't net control the heat without using an exploit (which I might try) but I was also curious as to how bad it will get over time with shoddy management.   Currently most of my games end somewhere between 100-200 cycles.   Usually, I have discovered something different I want to do, and start over, although my first few colonies were complete disasters.   Anyway, without using an exploit, but managing heat the best I can (absylte, insulated tiles, wheezeworts, etc....) can I feasibly keep the colony going long term, or how bad will the heat get over time.    Is there any hope without building some fancy contraptions and/or using exploits?     

The question is, what you consider an exploit. There are some clear cut exploits such as cooling water with pipe bridges or by splashing small amounts of cold water on large bodies of hot water. But there are also some things that feel very exploity that are just how the game works at the moment. For instance, you can send 95 C water and 95 C carbon dioxide to air scrubber and it will still produce polluted water at 40 C. Which you can then use to cool something down before you send it to irrigate your plants because plants don't care about the temperature of water you irrigate them with.

I would say that keeping a base cold without exploits is possible in either case, it's just the harder the more strict you're to yourself. Wheezeworts are not exploits, they work as intended and they can remove a lot of heat. If you use them to cool regulators, you get a lot of cooling in controlled fashion.

I would say it's not feasible to cool geyser water at the moment, at least not using "pure" approaches (excluding e.g. cooling it down by heat exchange with polluted water from air scrubbers). So if you consider it an exploit to send 95 C water through abyssalite pipes to your plants and showers, then you get things way harder and generally have to work with very limited amounts of water. Not impossible but it may get uncomfortable.

To give my experience on heat management as I approach 1500 cycles for my first colony learning as I go and without a plan. It isn't super serious. It is something I am trying to manage better than I am seeing certain areas will be a problem in the future.  I've also ruined a few cold biomes with my sleet wheat farm until I started actively climate controlling them with regulators and wheezeworts. But I would say it is far from an ever impending doom. And that even without a plan it is a manageable issue if you see the signs early enough.

Probably the issue where I unknowingly "exploited" and then knowingly "exploited" was hydrogen.  I kept most of my power generation and batteries at the top of my base where hydrogen would collect. This would then take up heat from those devices before it got pumped and destroyed in an energy generator.  I also used this idea to purposefully try and cool down a water geyser (when I thought that was a thing you needed to do).

The top of my base is getting hotter over time because I'm not flooding near as much hydrogen up there as I'm producing oxygen differently than just sticking electrolyzers directly in my base (which was heating it up) :p  My living area is now a temperate 23-29c. And I run a lot of air through regulators or wheezeworts.

Thanks for the detailed responses!   That is some great advice.   I think I was really getting hung up on cooling geyser water, and having extremely limited success.   It's good to know that even at 1500 cycles (highest I have gotten to is a little over 200) that you are still able to keep it under control.   That gives me hope.   My plan will be to pipe the hot water directly to the appliances that need them in my current build (using abysallite pipes), although I have not yet found a water geyser yet (4 natural gas ones though).   

In most of my games I managed it at least to get to cycle 300-400 without major issues. One of the main problems I faced in every single game is the fact that your base is heating up after a certain time when using water from a geyser simply because it is piped through your colony base. Even insulated pipes which are not made of abyssalite won't help at all in long term.

By upgrading ALL my liquid pipes to insulated abyssalite ones I now managed to stabilize the overall temps around 30 to 40°C which still is kinda high imo.

Archived